Thoughts on Backslash777 from an AI guy

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Mad Scientist, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Mad Scientist Unknown Registered Senior Member

Ok, I am getting a Masters of science in Computer Vision and AI. And I have to tell you guys tht the Backslash777 thing intrigued me and I can also say that it DID NOT operate independently of human interaction. My guess is these guys at Nasa are working on a natural language question and answers search engine with some human intervention thrown in to add to the illusion of a sentient being. I imagine tht the Nasa guys are really good at Starcraft as well and may have programmed a bot specifically for the game, which is not uneard of. I've made some bots myself for some games and they will kick ur butt. So will a computer chess bot. So they used you guys to see if you could figure it out. They also I think a while back fooled a psychiatist into thinking he was talking with a toddler in voice mode. Thts all, no aliens here folks, just Nasa ppl. Here is the website:
    http://webserv.gsfc.nasa.gov
    Go ahead and send them email and ask them hehe.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SeekerOfTruth Unemployed, but Looking Registered Senior Member

Mad Scientist, welcome to SciForums.

It wasn't NASA who fooled a psychologist, it was a company out of Israel. Here is one article that describes some of their work. I haven't found the one that tells how they fooled a psychologist yet, but it was this same group.

http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/ai/whizzkid.jsp

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SeekerOfTruth Unemployed, but Looking Registered Senior Member

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

what program do you use to create bots? can it be dl as well as a newbie guide? What's the point of the first webpage? I see nothing related to backslash. I need a few pointers.

8. peanut Registered Member

Do you believe everything you read? All these AI programs get help from people. There is no substitute for common sense and intellegence.

9. Mad Scientist Unknown Registered Senior Member

No program as far as I know. Some games have a script or program interface to the game and you plug in you decision making. A chess game is old news. For a game like starcraft, which may or may not have an interface for bots, you could write a program that inputs mouse and keyboard commands but it would be tough because your AI prog would have to read on screen graphics, or you had to have access to the graphic location and state information. I was going to do a project where I would take a game like subspace and program an AI to play the game via the joystick and keyboard while using the onscreen images as input to the AI program. This would have been a good AI project because it would have required object recognition of the screen. Nasa could do this I'm sure.

10. Mad Scientist Unknown Registered Senior Member

Ok not Nasa but well within the AI world's current capabilities and this Turing statement makes me think that Nasa is testing their new AI

Turing reasoned that if a person were unable to tell the difference between a machine and another human when conversing with it, then the machine could reasonably be described as intelligent. "As long as it behaves like it has an understanding of the outside world then that is good enough," says Hutchens.

I think Nasa is playing with intuitive thinking as well as natural language processing. Backslash777 has the whole of the internet to use as a search for any questions and coments.

I wasn't here for the Backslash777 thread when it was around. After reading it, it seemed it had problems accepting visual input? Is this correct, did any one give it a movie to watch? This would be telling.

11. Mad Scientist Unknown Registered Senior Member

Also I wasnt here for the gaming soo....

I could not evaluate the gaming. I wouldnt be surprised at the gaming part as any human can play too, but what was interesting was that somone said it blocked the moderator from launching the game. Indeed if true this is strange. I'd have to see it for myself though. Of course hacks do exist you know. A good gaming test would be to get \777 to play multiple games it did not know before. If it could do this and crush everyone at the same time and we had some fairly good players then this would be extrordinary.

12. kmguru Staff Member

Why would any one think the backslash is an AI? What is the "A" about it?

13. Mad Scientist Unknown Registered Senior Member

Well if as Turing said, If you cant tell the diff between a human and a machine there is no difference. The artificial in AI is indeed a misnomer. Whats artificial about any intelligence. A key test I would apply though to differentiate between human intellegence and machine intelligence is the ability to abtract ideas. ie Imagination. But we cant be sure about \777 because it could easily be human. Or Cyborg.

14. kmguru Staff Member

Even nature has to add revisions to the brain. That is why we have several brains (lobes) in the cranium. So I think someday machine intelligence will improve to our level and surpass. That day is not far off - may be another 20 to 30 years (Ref: The Age of Spiritual Machines)

15. Mad Scientist Unknown Registered Senior Member

Sooner than you think actually. Quantum computers might come faster than we originally thought. We need to join with the machine inteligence or it will outstrip us.

16. kmguru Staff Member

The reason I am estimating 20 to 30 years is because, I am tinkering with AI (incl: fuzzy logic, neural, fractal) since 1984 (DEC VAX 780s, ya, those ancient ones) and its application in supply chain management and international trade. I am still not satisfied what I have to work with.....I need better configuration and cheap price.....

So...I am waiting....

17. Mad Scientist Unknown Registered Senior Member

hmmm thts interesting. I'm completing my thesis in Computer Vision now using Eigen Vectors and gradients to generalize an object class by showing only a few objects of tht class. Try a PC. I moved from a specialized image firmware solution to a generalized PC. Its actually faster and gives you way more flexibility. I guess your doing decision making. I was thinking about how to apply some new computer vision ai to other models such as decision making. The eigenspace representation can hold a lot of information within a very small memory space and it has some generalization.

18. kmguru Staff Member

There is a saying "God, you gave them eyes, but they do not see..."

Pattern recognition does not equate to Intelligence atleast not what we humans do in our frontal lobe. The cats have eyes and they process their information very well. Have you seen a cat making decisions in the boardroom? (except may be the SPECTRE's cat

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

But it is a step in the right direction. May be after your PhD in AI, we will talk again....in the meantime dont get frustrated like I did...good luck in your studies....

19. Mad Scientist Unknown Registered Senior Member

But a cat does indeed make decisions all day long. I would not say tht because a cat is incabable of making board room decisions tht I would draw the conclusion tht it does not make decisions. A child could not make board room decisions but would you say it does not make decisions?

Not quite a PHD yet. Just getting my masters. If my generalization of cars via a feature dominance theory is correct I may be able to apply to some top schools I think for a PHD, but I'm burned out and will probably just work for now. I may contact Leggo Mind Storm's and see if they would be interested in a generalized object recognizer.

20. kmguru Staff Member

Sorry, my customers will not take a Cat or a Child as the decision maker in their boardroom, otherwise I would make lots of money (I have 3 cats)....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Mad Scientist Unknown Registered Senior Member

Wel I should hope not. But I still think a cat makes decisions all day about its own affairs.