Thoughts are external not internal

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Theoryofrelativity, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

same reason why the more we learn about the human brain we realise the how little we know.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

yes

meanwhile I shall take a look at those links you prvided, sounds like they may resemble the 'missing link' ('scuse the pun

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) that I am looking for.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I actually did some preliminary tests on that. One day i stared at people seeing if they would respond.

They actually hardly do.

You remember when they do though, because it's memorable. You breached private space and crossed a line.

When they don't look back you forget about it because nothing happened.

It's just your mind fucking with you.

Do the test yourself.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Satyr Banned Banned

There is no “in” and “out”.

There are only accessible and inaccessible phenomena.
    Accessibility to the senses is what determines their definition.

The other’s access to our being determines it.

This is why the ‘inner’ can be faked and hidden and mystified and speculated over.
    Spirituality rests on this ambiguity and hidden ‘reality’.

For this reason man chooses the accessible to judge or speculate over the inaccessible.

We study black holes by their effects.
    We study species by their behavior.
    We study nature by how she appears to our senses. We call it the empirical world.
    We study the essence of phenomena by how they act.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Ok I will try it.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Try to make it objective. Don't stare at them in their peripheral vision. People pick up on that.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'll do it in a crowded place. And pick people who are far.

Hmm do we pick up on peripheral vision even at a distance?

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Yes.

Would it matter for the theory if you look at the back of their heads? you want clean results don't you?

12. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

also be aware of the following that can affect th results you observed:

They were embarrrassed to turn around and look or dismissed the urge to do so

13. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

what if the 'receiver' is located at the front of the head?

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It is. It's called eyes.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yes of course, just wondering.

16. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

how do they wire up the brain so that 'thoughts' can operate a wheelchair?

17. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I stole this from another thread

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

They would hardwire it.

19. imaplanck. Banned Banned

But we have the tools to detect electricity, we also have the tools to detect any frequency of electromagnetic radiation. So I put it to you that any explanation you try to come up with to suggest our brains are remotely communicating with each will be nonsense.

No!

20. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

Talking about things and reading books are not problems.
    I don't think TOR is deciding where to spend her medical research grants by using this thread.

Just remember TOR, you can always discount everyone else's experiences, because they might not be "gifted" - which means your perception may be skewed to believe the statistics when they happen to match your idea (if the people I was staring at looked at me 8 times out of ten) and discount them when they don't match (if the people I was staring at only looked back once).

21. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Thats the whole problem with this the nature of the subject, it DOES make a difference. You can't expect a coal minor to demonstrate a world class ballet dance, and when they fail to do so, dismiss the reason for their failure being it was not their thing.

A coal minor can be trained to dance, but presumably a natural talent for music and dance is what makes a great ballet dancer great.

Anyway, whys no one reading the links and commenting on those?

So Proff Jess utts research, what of it?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  22. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Look. All of this blathering you're all going on about has one thing in common - it's all personal anecdotes. Do you not know ToR and sam, et al, how easy it is to fool yourself into being absolutely sure there is "telepathy" based on your own evperiences and biases? Your kids and your spoouses seem to magically say just what you were thinking because they share such a close environmental circumstance. Similar goals, similar experiences.

Where in all of this is your series of peer reviewed, controlled studies that show a strong positive corellation?

Also, do you not see how self important and egotistical it is to think that you can base a conclusion of such magnitude (the existence of "telepathy" or whatever) on your own fallible human nature? Or are you so objective about yourself that what you think must be true? Why do you think the method of scientific inquiry was developed in the first place? Because, as every scientists knows, even experts in a field are prone to bias and wishful thinking.

To think that you have somehow overcome this basic human failing and have found the solid truth of "telepathy" within yourself is awesome arrogance. Where is your humility in the face of such a wealth of human foibles?

You think that because you and your siblings or children or spouses sometimes "click" together that this is proof of "telepathy"? Because it's more prevalent in close family members or friends who share so much of their environment? How naive. How full of hubris can some people be?

23. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Exactly. What of it? All you have to do is google on "telepathy" or any number of "PSI" type words, and you will find an overwhelming amount of completely uncritical material.