This is why paying tax's is necessary

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Brian Foley, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Hmm, how astute of you! Did you read that somewhere or did it just now come to you out of the blue?

Baron Max

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BHS Riposte Artiste Registered Senior Member

That's an interesting theory. Please explain two things:

1) Who's REALLY in charge? (Maybe you should confer with Brian Foley before you answer that.)

2) How do you explain the worldwide success of democracy as opposed to other systems? The world's wealthiest countries (piss off Brunei) are all democracies. The world's most atrocious shitholes are all as far from democracy as an organized system can get.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Logical infallibility? Does that even exist?
    I don't even think a person can be completely infallible (is that a word?). If you consider a whole nation being infallible, than the odds of logical infallibility are even smaller. Of course, if many people vote, the odds of a majority making a mistake is smaller, which might be the main reason why democracy is not a complete disaster...

Well, there are many reasons why people make choices. People don't always make choices based on logic.

That is exactly my point. A bad leader is a bad leader regardless of public opinion.

That is irrelevant. My example pointed out the fact that truth is not based on public opinion. The truth is the truth regardless of what people think.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

The aliens from planet Zorba. They have infiltrated our security 50 years ago and now they control the world from their underground base in Hollywood.

8. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Governor Schuazenecker is one of them.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I wouldn't call western democracies democracies perse. Maybe the term autocracy is better.

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Well, that's a good point...

Well, but we don't need government, do we?

Well, but the power is always in the hands of a small elite! Take for instance the moron in power right now. he is only there because his daddy helped him gettting there. "Nepotism" is the magic word...

Are they elected?

Well... a third is quite a bit of power. In Canada is much worse. Not only that, we don't even choose them- we only choose the party.
    I'm not saying democracy is bad or wrong, I'm saying it is not perfect.

No, I don't think that way. I'm just talking about democracy, regardless of what power the president actually has.

That's quite a bit of power....
    Who appoint senators?

Oh c'mmon! Lobbyists are quite expensive!! An interest group for the people have too have A LOT of members to have some power. Still is very hard because money buys power!!!

Interest groups that are not profitable to corporations have limited power and have to work extremely hard to lobby the government!!

Well, I must say it is likely the best we have right now. But I'm sure there might be something better (hehehe.... that sounds funny

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)...

Of course.

11. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Plutocracy....

12. BHS Riposte Artiste Registered Senior Member

Do you even know what the word "autocracy" means? Refer back to question 1.

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

That is because I actually wanted to say 'Oligarchy'.

haha...

look what a PhD did to my brain.

14. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

All monkeys have PhDs....

15. BHS Riposte Artiste Registered Senior Member

Sorry, I can't help myself -

Women's Studies?
    Liberal Arts?
    Comparitive Mythologies?

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Close..

bananology

17. jlocke Registered Senior Member

Have to agree. For instance, although the president can help enforce the laws and decisions Congress makes, he couldn't make them, like he couldn't declare war on another country......wait a minute.....HEY!!!

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

A war can be renamed (police action etc.).

19. BHS Riposte Artiste Registered Senior Member

Sorry, I don't remember writing that quote. Doesn't mean I didn't, I just don't recognize it.

Forgive my agreed upon ignorance vis the Constitution, but I thought the President could submit bills to Congress for review.

As discussed earlier (perhaps on a different thread, can't be bothered to go back and look right now) neither the President nor Congress "declares war" anymore.

20. jlocke Registered Senior Member

My point is that, yes, in our system of government, the president's power is, hypothetically, limited; however, if a president can break the rules, then his power, in actuality, isn't limited, and that's not Democracy.

21. jlocke Registered Senior Member

You may have come to that conclusion, but that's still the law.

22. BHS Riposte Artiste Registered Senior Member

The President's ability to get away with breaking the rules is limited by the will of Congress and his party and the electorate to let him do so. In a country that cherishes freedom of the press to the extent of enshrining it in it's constitution, the power of the civil society is considerable in this regard.

23. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I thought we were talking about taxes here, and why we need to pay them. Anyway, giving more money to the government is the same as flushing it down the toilet or giving it to a drunken sailor at a stripbar. The government has plenty of money, it's just wasting most of it. Just down the road from my house the government is spending $14 million dollars to build sound barriers along the highway so that people who bought houses by the highway don't have to hear the highway! All the taxes I pay in my life will probably never equal the amount of money wasted on that little strip of road. Screw taxes.