These Are The People We Leave Our Safety With

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Reiku, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Reiku Banned Banned

Jonathan Leake in the Times of London:

''A £2 billion project to answer some of the biggest mysteries of the universe has been delayed by months after scientists building it made basic errors in their mathematical calculations.

The mistakes led to an explosion deep in the tunnel at the Cern particle accelerator complex near Geneva in Switzerland. It lifted a 20-ton magnet off its mountings, filling a tunnel with helium gas and forcing an evacuation.

It means that 24 magnets located all around the 17-mile circular accelerator must now be stripped down and repaired or upgraded. The failure is a huge embarrassment for Fermilab, the American national physics laboratory that built the magnets and the anchor system that secured them to the machine.

It appears Fermilab made elementary mistakes in the design of the magnets and their anchors that made them insecure once the system was operational.''

And they want to meddle with with more powerful forces in the near future. Why the hell do we allow these egg-heads to work on these dangerous schemes? How many more mathematical errors will it take us to realize that these forces must not be meddled with... no matter what the scientific price? :shrug:

Reiku :m: - Stunned

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Weird.

Now I'm wondering what kind of experiment this was.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

It never occurred to me before to think that the beam pushes back at the magnets. If the beam is modulated you also have vibration.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

Very old news. Happened late March. It wasn't an experiment per se, more of a test of the magnet design. When they powered up the first magnet a design flaw was discovered and the magnet basically 'broke itself'.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,263987,00.html

8. Nasor Valued Senior Member

What's the problem? No one other than the "egg heads" working on the project were ever in danger, so I'm not sure what you're so upset about.

9. orcot Valued Senior Member

in a perfect world there would be no need for experiments there is always a change something goes wrong the trick is to test it so to prevent if from going terrible wrong

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That's what science is about. They try to find things out, this time they found out there were problems in the design and will now understand how to "fix" them in the future. Failure is one way to know what won't work. It is ashamed that the project was that close to completion before they found this problem out but now they can find or make a new magnet that in time will work. 33 spacecraft were sent to Mars over the years but only 13 of them actually made it there and did what they were supposed to do. Just because the other 20 didn't suceed didn't mean that scientists had to give up but to find the problems, if possible, and fix them.

11. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Your safety?

12. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

The same thing could be said about steam engines. Boiler explosions have caused a lot of very painful deaths and caused the living to envy the dead. 45 men died on the HMS Thunderer and 40 others had serious injuries. This was a full power test of the boiler of a military steamship in 1876. It was the cutting edge of technology then and it would be an expensive and highly technical project even now.

http://www.btinternet.com/~philipr/thexp.html

Cutting edge technology is scary stuff.

13. Reiku Banned Banned

What can i say friends...
    I just don't like the idea of these accelerators. They pose unnecessery risk. I am totally science-mad as you will all have guessed, but even i can hold back on these plans for the LHC at Geneva... I just postulate what it will take for the majority of scientists to be concerned at our fast developments?

14. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

What risk?

Define "fast developments".

15. Reiku Banned Banned

Numerous risks. We are meddling with forces that had not been seen since big bang. Even though we might 'think' we have it all in control, absolutely anything could happen.

16. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Frankenstein complex...

Define "fast developments".

17. Reiku Banned Banned

Frankenstein complex...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Fast developments are what i define as being the history of man kind. Since the discovery of mapping DNA, we have been a tireless force. From Apollo to the first man on the moon, we have developed at a much faster pace than what scientists hace ever conetmplated.

18. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

So what pace "should" we moving at?
    Humanity does what it can WHEN it can.

Incorrect: since we sharpened the first stick we've been pushing...

[quote we have developed at a much faster pace than what scientists hace ever conetmplated.[/quote]
    Someone has a time table and we're ahead of schedule?
    I doubt it.

19. Reiku Banned Banned

''Humanity does what it can WHEN it can.''
    Hence our nature to rush into things far too quickly.

''[quote we have developed at a much faster pace than what scientists hace ever conetmplated.[/quote]
    Someone has a time table and we're ahead of schedule?
    I doubt it.''
    Life is a timetable. It is a relativistic yardstick that measures what we will do and what we will achieve. Only thing is, we are desperate to achieve the unthinkable by such and such a date... we look into the future like this all of the time.

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

For everything we create, there's more destruction we leave behind.

21. Reiku Banned Banned

hear hear

22. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Who decides what's "too quickly"?
    We do what we can when we can.

And we don't achieve the things we can't.
    Are you saying that we should not do things we're capable of?
    "Oh look we can build this now - let's forget about for a few decades..."
    That's not human.

23. Reiku Banned Banned

''Who decides what's "too quickly"?
    We do what we can when we can.''

This i cannot answer anymore than i have.

''And we don't achieve the things we can't.
    Are you saying that we should not do things we're capable of?
    "Oh look we can build this now - let's forget about for a few decades..."
    That's not human.''

There will be nothing left to the human that cannot be achieved. Even the Bible recognized this... as God said, ''If we leave man to his own devices, he will accomplish anything he sets out to achieve.''

[Are you saying that we should not do things we're capable of?]
    And Eve took the apple, just because she could.