There is nothing good about me or my life

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by MattMVS7, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

This all springs from your illness.
    You are saying that nothing has value, because that is the way that it seems to you.
    You say that you don't wish to discuss treatments here.
    That is reasonable, but you do need to discuss them with a professional.
    You need to become a pain in their sides so that they concentrate on treating you.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I agree wit you... but you seem fixated on this issue to you'r own detriment... an this fixation is very likely fixable wit the proper help.!!!

In any case... what if you did prove this "to everyone once an for all"... what diference woud it make in you'r life.???

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kx000 Valued Senior Member

The mind is only passive. This means happiness, and love. If you fight or struggle your a view of death. Death is the lack of mind, we are far from neutral.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

Now speaking in terms of evolution, our minds are designed to experience emotions from our perceptions (thoughts) for a very important reason. First off, our thoughts are nothing more than what is used for rationalizations and problem-solving while our emotions are what encourage our survival in life. So if you have the perception (thought) that there is a wild animal that is going to attack you, that would then send an emotional signal to the fear center of your brain in order to encourage you to get out of there so that you survive. Same thing with experiencing pleasure. Pleasure is what also encourages us to benefit our survival and the survival of others as well (although pleasure can be misused in not benefiting our survival such as harming ourselves and others). Where I'm getting at with all of this is that our thoughts alone do not encourage our survival. The word "good" means "looking forward to things in life," "being encouraged in life," etc. But you cannot be encouraged in life without any emotions since only our emotions (as well as pain) are what is designed to encourage us to survive. The quoted term "looking forward to things in life" as well as any other terms for the word "good" are all derived from what only pleasure can achieve since "good" means "Our encouraged survival in life to benefit ours and others survival." Thoughts alone without our emotions may make us do great things in life and make us benefit ours and others survival. But that is not the same thing as being "good" (our "encouraged survival in life"). Same thing applies with having no fear or any other emotions, but choosing to run away from a wild animal that is attacking you anyway. That is not the same thing as our "encouraged survival" either while you are running away from this dangerous animal in order to survive. Also, "good" and "bad" are both our "encouraged survival in life." The difference is that our encouragement to survive in order to benefit ours and others survival (which would be pleasure) is the "good" version of our "encouraged survival." But things such as fear, pain, and despair are evolution's "warning" version of our "encouraged survival" since they warn us that something is wrong in life. So "warning" in terms of evolution is what is "bad" which makes pain and despair the bad version of "encouraged survival." Therefore, this is why only pleasure is good while only pain and despair are bad while everything else in life is neutral (neither good or bad). So this is the reason why you cannot be a good or bad person and that your life cannot be good or bad if you did not have feelings of pleasure, pain, or despair.

Now there may be other definitions of the words "good" and "bad" out there that others might have proposed, but they are all still derived from our evolutionary design which would be our "encouraged survival" in life (which would, again, be definitions that are derived from our emotions as well as our pain). If, for example, another definition of the word "good" means objects and people that help us avoid suffering, anything that helps us accept our losses and move on in life, or our actions of helping others, then even that is derived from pleasure and can only be achieved through pleasure because someone might then tell those with anhedonia (absence of pleasure) to be encouraged in life knowing that these things are good and that his/her actions of helping others is good despite his/her loss of pleasure. But as I just stated before, this person cannot be "encouraged" or "look forward" to those things in life without his/her pleasure since pleasure is the only thing that can achieve those quoted things (pleasure being all good feelings including love and motivation). The term "looking forward to" and any other such terms here are derived from "our encouraged survival" since you cannot look forward to anything in life without being encouraged. Even things such as value, worth, and beauty are also derived from "our encouraged survival" (which would be pleasure). Other things in life aside from one's own pleasure might be defined as "good," but without our encouragement (pleasure), then this version of "good" is nothing more than a neutral thought that doesn't make us or our lives anything "good" in reality without our pleasure. Same concept applies for "bad." Even if we were to somehow redefine the word "encouragement" to something else besides our pleasure and then tell someone to be encouraged in life knowing that there are other good and greater things in life aside from his/her pleasure, even this would still be nothing more than a neutral thought. As I said before, our "looking forward in life," "being encouraged in life," etc. is all derived from our own pleasure. So this is the reason why people are only fooling themselves into thinking that they are good people and that their lives are somehow good independent of their pleasure or if they had no pleasure in life. These thoughts of "good" and "bad" or any other created meanings for that matter that these people have are all nothing more than neutral thoughts. As I said before, thoughts are just thoughts no matter what they are and the only difference is that they are different sounds, images, words, etc. and that is all. They might send different signals to different parts of the brain, but even those other parts of our brain besides our pain and emotions are not our "encouraged survival" (meaning, that they are neither good or bad) and nor is anything else in life good or bad either aside from our own pleasure, pain, and despair. You are also not in the minds of others and cannot experience their pleasure, pain, and despair. Therefore, it is only your own pleasure, pain, and despair that are the only good and bad things from your own perspective while the pleasure, pain, and despair of others are the only good and bad things from their own perspectives. The pleasure, pain, and despair of others from your own perspective is neutral since it is nothing more than a neutral thought. Even if it is a good or bad value you have towards the pleasure, pain, and despair of others, that is still nothing more than a neutral thought. Therefore, how good one is (their level of greatness) and how good one's life is solely depends on the level of pleasure he/she has in his/her life. Same thing applies for how bad one is and how bad his/her life is.

8. madethesame Banned Banned

then be detached from your flesh.

9. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Have you tried taking two bricks and banging them together?

My brain hurts. Nurse!

Good and bad. Hmmm… Left out 'ugly'. Maybe that's the reason.

Is there a category lower than cesspool?

10. The. Ring. Banned Banned

They might be working better than you understand, because you are interacting with the world, just by being here. You are also demonstrating response to stimulus, and seeking this stimulus as well. Truly depressed people, will not undertake these activities, they will just sit, or lie and do nothing. That is not to say, that there is not a better medication for you.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

This is meant for you and Matt. I've been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, manic depression and anxiety attacks. I went to a psychiatrist for help after trying to commit suicide over 40 years ago. I was put on medications that helped me quite allot to stay afloat but the thoughts I was having were sprouting up from time to time and even with the medications wouldn't go away. Instead of the very high highs and the very low lows the meds made them like a rolling wave that wasn't as hard to deal with. There are many different types of medications that can help those with mental disorders but it is up to those people afflicted to seek the support they need.

To this day I'm still on medications but just not as high of a dose as I have had in the past. I'm doing OK and the thought I was having are now quite diminished but still crop up from time to time. That is when I see a psychologist for help because talking to someone does help. Always remember that if you don't feel the medications aren't working tell your psychiatrist or change to another one until you do feel better. You won't get cured but you will function much better in life.

12. sculptor Valued Senior Member

does that account for your phenomenally annoying avatar?

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. sculptor Valued Senior Member

ain't no better

15. madethesame Banned Banned

do you enjoy sex ?

16. cosmictotem Registered Senior Member

When I feel I'm missing out on some things in lif I remind myself that the Universe never promised me anything.

If I'm feeling particularly bad I also ask myself what if I had been one of those unlucky souls whom life led into the hands of the Nazis and ended their conscious existence in a consentration camp among those who did not care for them? Do you think one of them wouldn't trade their life for yours in a heartbeat had they ever had the chance? Your life would be a paradise compared to what their lives showed them.

Puts things in perspective, huh?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  17. madethesame Banned Banned

great expectations cause problem. depression helps.

18. Amar Nath Reu Be your own guru Registered Senior Member

There is nothing extraordinarily good about me or my life (except one thing which I would mention later) and similarly, there is nothing extraordinarily bad about me or my life. The good thing is that I have found answers to all questions that I ever had in my mind.

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

There are questions that you don't have answers to like why were you born and where will you be in a year from now.

20. Amar Nath Reu Be your own guru Registered Senior Member

1. My parents doing. 2. How does it matter. I have lived at places other than where I am living now. I do not think one more change will matter.

21. Amar Nath Reu Be your own guru Registered Senior Member

Yes, there are many questions that do not require answers.

22. madethesame Banned Banned

they require answer. they are nearest to heart. if every person thinks about these questions, their wont be wars.

23. Waiter_2001 Registered Senior Member

I agree. "Good" and "bad" are simply descriptive, but more importantly you cannot have one without the other. However our descriptions differ. I beleive the two extremes of emotion that best describe "good" and "bad" are love and hate (hatred.) I also beleive life is a series of choices between the two stated emotions.