Theory on existence.

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by seekeroftheway, Feb 26, 2006.

1. duendy Registered Senior Member

you seem sure. now...how do you KNOW?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

Maybe he's one of those zombie people's like from that zombie survival guide link in the "do you believe in vampires" thread in subcultures.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

he dosent know, but he believes he knows and thats good enough for him

leave him be,

peace.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. duendy Registered Senior Member

no.

8. Hipparchia Registered Senior Member

You could argue that if it is allright to have faith in an afterlife without actually knowing, then it is OK to have faith in no afterlife, without actually knowing. If that's not too screwed up? I don't know!

9. duendy Registered Senior Member

yes, that makes gret sense. and thats what i basically mean. HOWcan we know?....we may have clus...for example NDEs.....but must remember that what is exprienced may depend on the prson's belief system. ie., a Westerner may exprince the classic 'tunnel' and 'loving spirit' etc, whereas an Indian may have a more gruesome encounter wit the 'Lord of Death'

but because of these cultural variations does this man that there is no actual sense of awareness post mortem?

10. Hipparchia Registered Senior Member

Are you sure there are these cultural differences? I hadn't heard of those before. I thought it was all white light and tunnels?

11. duendy Registered Senior Member

No apparently not...i have notes about this too--may try nd find them if i remember
    some of the Indian NDEs I have ead seem pretty grim, quite strange really considering some of teir florid mythological motifs. but its like them having their 'limbs' cut off....!....and the 'life review' may just involve a book, not the video experiences some Westerners may have

so from what i have read it seems to point to the inference that when pole have these experiences they take with them their ingrained assumptions

12. Hipparchia Registered Senior Member

I found this site. It mentions an example of the dismemberment you mentioned:

http://www.near-death.com/hindu.html

It says there are differences between the NDEs in the West and the East, and links them to the different cultures, just as you have done.

13. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Because god does not exist, and the existence of an afterlife implies the existence of gods, which DO NOT EXIST.

14. duendy Registered Senior Member

do your dreams 'exist' WHEN you are dreaming?

15. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

That not the same thing, you ponce. Gods are delusions, and thus, afterlives are delusions. When you die, you die, no do-overs, no mulligans, no ghosts, no reincarnations, no returns. Period. End-of-story.

16. duendy Registered Senior Member

who ya trying to convince mr, me or YOU??

17. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

ok then fair enough its your choice.

but it is futile.

peace.

18. Hipparchia Registered Senior Member

I don't see the connection. Can you explain? Why would the absence of an afterlife be evidence for the non-existence of God? Why would the existence of a God require that there be an afterlife? And so on. It doesn't make sense, does it?

19. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

Can you honestly say that you can imagine not existing? Like total nonexistence, no spirit, no nothing? Just gone? I can't.

20. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

You can't because are afraid to to, and fear simply gives rise to more fear. Stop being afraid and face logic.

21. duendy Registered Senior Member

hahaha....your right AND wrong. tell yer 'logic' to work THAT one out

yes thee is logic, but we usually use a limited logic right. this limited logic is still caught in 'either or' territory right...? wrong?

yes death IS the end........

end

what is oppo-site to 'end'?

d'ya get me?

22. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

Logic, eh? Ok, I derived from logic that for all intents and purposes, I would be reincarnated. The idea that death is the absolute eternal end DOES NOT FIT into the way everything works. I also derived that life, death, everything I see, hear, feel, and otherwise sense, is a total illusion, fabricated by my mind to hide/protect me from the truth. And that once that truth is found death will only be a memory, not a spectre haunting ever closer on my footsteps. Logic is entirely interpretive, what makes sense to you makes little sense to me.

23. Hipparchia Registered Senior Member

Logic is a usefull tool. A wrench is a usefull tool for working on a car engine, but I wouldn't find it very helpfull for baking. Is it not possible, Hapsburg, that logic has its limits of usefullness?