Theists, what do you think about religions other than your own?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Seattle, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I'm curious as to what someone who believes in one religion thinks about the beliefs of other religions. Do you know much about the specifics of other religions and what do you think about them?

For a Christian, let's say a Methodist, what do you think of Jehovah's Witnesses (as an example).

Jehovah's Witnesses followers what do you think about the doctrine of Scientology?

Mormon's what do you think about Scientology?

Do you consider that it is just another religion that is a reasonable religion but that it's just not the "true" religion?

Or, as a Jehovah's Witnesses do you find the teachings of Scientology and Mormonism to be bizarre? What do you think of Xeno in the case of Scientology or the "magic underwear" of Mormonism?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

I have a strong academic interest in Christianity and Judaism. I was never really raised around them much, since both my parents were atheists, so I developed a mostly distant, neutral, historian kind of approach to learning about them. They're very fascinating.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jake Arave Ethologist Registered Senior Member

As someone who was raised a Mormon, I have to say first that the terminology "Magic Underwear" can be extremely offensive to some individuals. I would also like to assert that the Mormon faith condemns all other systems of belief. I know this because the highest kingdom of paradise in Mormonism has a pre-requisite of being Mormon. That being mutually inclusive of all religions states that they are all inferior.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's exactly why I like to use the term.

8. Jake Arave Ethologist Registered Senior Member

Well if your aim is to offend, I wouldn't recommend posting on a theology board.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's not my only aim, just a fringe benefit.

10. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I'm a heretic, I'm not part of any religion but I do have my viewpoint, which is probably similar to most/all atheists.:

Each have their merits, but they have caused too many wars, cruel killings, isolation the list goes on...