Theism is Primitive Thinking

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by PsychoticEpisode, Oct 16, 2009.

1. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Empiricism is anything but tacit; there are no silent, or hidden meanings in empiricism. The entire methodology itself rests upon explicit explication.

I'm sure you mean something else here LG...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I hope you two take this up on a new thread. I feel, as a first reaction, overwhelmed, with trying to show that empiricism is either tacit or explicit. I can't imagine it is totally explicit, or that anything could be, but as I said, I find proving this daunting. I don't think it is completely tacit, obviously. But any system that presents itself as all out front, is likely to have blind spots and serious ones. Anyway. Please take this up in another thread and I'll hop in where I can.

thanks,
    d

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

Yes, I think the concept of heresy we accept today is different than theirs. But don't you think Christianity and Christians became a serious problem for the Roman Empire at one point to be classified as this? Surely the idea of today's heresy is different than that.

I think I agree with you on the polytheism and monotheism issue. But monotheism is accepted as a more complicated belief system than the other, because, in polytheism gods are portrayed close to human and there is a certain god for major things in human life. They have reputations the way human do. They give reactions like humans and they all have weaknesses, limits.
    However, the life people developed under polytheism -esp. in ancient west- have the space and freedom for them to do many things that monotheist religions don't. Life style is much more profane in polytheism.
    Monotheism is considered as more abstract, open to develop by philosophical approach. So it developed theology and more nonsense to put in books and discussions.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I mean this

Also good discussions about the topic of tacit knowledge within the sciences can be found in the work of Michael Polyani

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Wow, you've come up with some pretty stupid conclusions before but...

9. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

and another valueable opinion worthy of IGNORE

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Why didn't you, then?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Problems for whom? I am quite sure many had problems with Christianity: pagan priests for example. Some must have been out of jobs after Constantine. The Empire became Christian and I am sure that put off a lot of people for a variety of reasons.

This raises a philosophical issue. Which is more complicated....?
    One God who is perfect, all seeing, etc.
    Many gods with personalities, foibles, etc.

Seems to me the latter is more complicated, but I don't want to say the issue is simple.

I tend to agree with you. The polytheisms could also develop. If you look at Native American religions, in many one finds that visions and experiences of shamans and lay people could lead to new rituals, ceremonies, songs and traditions.

12. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

I was thinking the fact that they are being organised under one thing should have been a problem to them. By the time it became Christian, it became Christian.

One omnipotent god is also more suitable subject to develop abstract questions and creating the pressure of "You are being watched all the time"
    It's the original big brother, without the clumsy visible cameras. Human has a tendency to go after what she can't grasp and finds mystically intriguing. Well, trying to imagine that time, impossible.

Besides, in polytheism you have gods assigned to some specific purposes. I feel like one omnipotent god should have made them feel more 'spiritual' in present sense?

I see it as different complications, but I get what you mean.

13. Doreen Valued Senior Member

In Rome, as elsewhere, politics and religion and family and religion and a whole host of other non-belief based reasons existed for participation in a certain religion. So probably for some it was like changing outfits or seeing people across the street in yet another outfit. For others pressure to join the new religion was probably problematic. Also Christianity with Jesus as the only real earthly King and one single God in heaven scrapes away at the divine authority potentials of Roman leaders. There is also something classless about Christianity, Jesus hanging out with the poor and being from humble beginnings - beginnings that would have kept him out of the Senate - that was no doubt seen as problematic. But I think these were more practical issues. I don't think that many people were outraged by the beliefs in the way Christians get if you say Jesus had children or Mary was not a Virgin.

I agree about abstraction. I think the monotheisms with their emphasis on transcendance and abstraction led to a lot of what we think of as modern thinking, for good and for ill.

In the sense that the monotheisms think of spiritual which is cut off and separate from the mundane.

Yes, different complications. And the monotheisms are also texts. Once you have texts, you have interpretations. Once you have interpretations, you have arguments. And given how complex these texts are, the arguments and explanations become a great training ground for all sorts of abstract tomfoolery. Which no doubt also led to things like scientific thinking paradoxically.

14. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

Yes I agree.

And I also think that polytheism made more enjoyable fairy tales to read than depressed texts of monotheism. At least when looking back from now.

15. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

i still dont understand why that would be such a problem..if jesus and mary had a child then more ppl would be able to identify with him.

God Bless America......(America,Bless God)

My Point! its time to re-think what god is supposed to be about.

explain please....

16. swarm Registered Senior Member

Poor little theist. It isn't necessary to make it illegal. It isn't that important.

17. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I assume you mean magdelene and not J's Mom. But anyway I agree with you. But the monotheisms have a lot of judgments of bodies and sex and this early veil.

Too big a topic, but in general you have people working with logic and argument in theology. They learn to juggle abstract concepts, skills that trickle down.

18. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Yes, if the gods get to be human, than the humans certainly do. In monotheism, however, the God is occasionally rather human like - tirades in the OT - but this is contradicted and denied elsewhere. Divine wrath is never confused or overreacting or like our wrath. Horny, jealous, sneaky, conniving, scared, silly, flawed gods and goddesses leaves a lot more room for us to feel good about ourselves.

19. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

there is an arguement (im not an expert on this point) that the new testament creates a new covenant that invalidates the old covenant as set forth in the old testament..

20. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Sure. And who decides such things? And why do we trust them? Might as well trust ourselves since we have to trust ourselves to choose who to trust anyway which is a rather big chunk of trust.

21. All Seeing Eye Registered Member

22. thinking Banned Banned

theism is primitive thinking and further reliance on some sort of figure to be a guide

we as Humans will never grow , mature into an independent being in this Universe , until we shake off this reliance on another being to show us the way , so to speak

23. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

What if I were to say that in the minds of His believers, the monotheistic God is becoming more of a scientist than the sole cause of causes, the demander of obedience, the keeper of records, etc? This may be the next step in deity evolution, I don't know but I can envision a God that basically wears a lab coat with no omni-attributes.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!