The Worst Film You Ever Saw...

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by The Flemster, Jun 16, 2004.

1. slotty Colostomy-its not my bag Registered Senior Member

PLAGARIST!!!! Did`nt you lend me New Years Day ? That was shite

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

A cheap budget film that was so bad it was brilliant was "The Legend of Bruce Lee" it was so cheap the entire set was made of cardboard. When the characters were fighting, they would knock into the set every now and then. Big dints and creases would appear in the walls, and as the fighting progressed you could see them pop out again. the sky was painted by what appeared to be someone having a fit, and when the actors were against the backdrop of sky.their shadows were clearly visible.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. StarOfEight A Man of Taste and Decency Registered Senior Member

Huh? Did I say I had anything against independent cinema? No. Does the fact I was entertained by T-3 mean I'm automatically disqualified from having seen the films of an obscure, osbcure director like Kurosawa? No. Pay attention to what I said, which was no more than the following:

a.) independent films are equally capable of formula as their bigger-budgeted brethren.

b.) I said T-3 had good action sequences, which it did, and Mr. Mongo himself. When I'm referring to the film's star as a retard, that'd should be a flashing neon sign that I didn't take the film all that seriously. If you didn't pick up on the slang 'cause you're English and I'm not, I understand.

I'll add a c.) yeah, a lot of idiots automatically refuse to see movies that have subtitles. Another buncha idiots gives movies that have subtitles a lot more credit than they deserve, i.e. that atrocious Roberto Benigni flick that turned the Holocaust into a fuckin' vacation.

Oh, and another thing ... since you seem to dig independent and foreign films, why'd you attack Russell Crowe? Romper Stomper's an amazing movie. LA Confidential was also good, though neither independent nor foreign (well, maybe the latter for you). Yeah, Gladiator and Beautiful Mind both ate several yards of shit, but so did everything McDowell did post-Clockwork Orange.

And as a side note ... don't put Michael Moore in that category. The guy's Kevin Smith with an agenda. There's nothing wrong with that, but he's not an artist.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

worst film ever? um... Romeo Must Die, it's so bad in terms of the story... I mean like REALLY bad, the actions and those x-ray shots are pretty cool though

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tracker00 Registered Senior Member

Good someone mentioned Battlefield Earth. That's the only movie I've ever walked out on. I think Titanic was pretty good, sure it was 5/6 hours but it really didn't feel that way when I was watching it.

8. JustARide America: 51% fucking idiots Registered Senior Member

As for the mainstream, I have to say <i>Matrix: Revolutions</i> singlehandedly pissed me off more than any film in recent memory. Is it the worst film I've ever seen? No. But the sheer amount of determination and foresight that must have gone into ruining not only the final film of what was once a promising trilogy but retroactively canceling out the coolness of all previous installments had to be a major undertaking. For five hours or so, the W brothers lead us down the postmodern path, throwing little Baudrillard snippets at us, hinting that the ending will turn everything on its fucking head... then voila! It's the Bible! Just yippee skippy.

As for my art/trash pick, I nominate Ken Russell's "The Fall of the Louse of Usher" -- the most painful thing I've ever endured (not counting every time I hear President Bush say "noo-cu-lur" or the time I had surgery on my balls).

9. Firefly Registered Senior Member

The worst film I've ever seen has to be Changing Lanes starring Ben Affleck and ... someone else. It's not that the acting was particularly bad, and I guess neither was the storyline, in fact it was a pretty ok movie in it's making, it just was totally not suited to my tastes. I like films for escapism, this one was set in today's world, two random guys, everything going as wrong for them as it could... I just hated it.

10. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Think it was Morgan Freeman. You didn't think the acting was bad? I thought it was terribly cardboard.

11. Firefly Registered Senior Member

Well I saw it at the cinema, and I think it was just too depressing for me to focus on the acting. Oooh, but next worst film is the Butterfly Effect it just kept getting... worse, in so many ways I didn't even concieve of a split second before it happened.

12. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Apparently that's a really depressing movie. Everyone who has seen it that I know have said that they contemplated suicide for a brief spell after seeing it.

13. Firefly Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I did too.

then I had to watch it again cos my flatmate watched it and I'd hear it in the next room anyway :rolleyes (this was around 2am so it was either that or (try to) sleep), and it wasn't so bad. Desensitised I guess.

14. Roman Banned Banned

Mainstream: The one with Tommy Lee Jones (who I like) and Benecio del Toro (who I don't mind), and good ol Tommy knife fights with del Toro. Oh, and Tommy eats wold shit. It was so SHITE.

Not Mainstream: Donny Darko. What a pretentious waste of time. Every little kiddy went and saw it oohed over how deep it was. Words can't describe how bad it was.

15. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I wouldn't make "Donnie Darko" the worst I've ever seen. At least it had a psycho-bunny suit in it. Still, like you said, it tried to be deep. It was, for us, just a way to kill a bottle of scotch on a weekend.

For awhile, it looked like "Vulgar" was going to make the list. It opened up with clown rape and then spent a lot of time in the touchy-feely recovery stage. When the clown and the rapist crossed paths again, I felt it redeemed itself. Not a must-have, but not bad either. I heard that Howard Stern coldn't watch the whole thing, that he shut it off after the rape scene. I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, ...Pussy.

The worst film I ever saw was "The Blair Witch Project". Worst...writing...ever. I can't blame the actors. They did what they were told to do. But I think there's a room with a million monkeys and a million typewriters in it that could have written a better story while waiting to write Shakespeare.

16. Roman Banned Banned

I got motion sick watching Blair Witch.

17. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

StarofEight

I hear a lot of people say this about "Life Is Beautiful". Did I buy a different movie or something? Maybe it's just a matter of interpretation, or maybe they watch with a preconceived idea of what should be going on, but I saw it as the story of a father who is out to preserve his son's life and innocence no matter the risk. I saw no "vacation" in it. I found it tragic when, so close to liberation, that the father had to make the supreme sacrifice, trusting fate or God to deliver his son. Yes, the Holocaust was the backdrop, but even during that period of history many people who suffered actually managed to keep their senses of humor. I used to have a paper of jokes that came from the death camps themselves, mostly from the Jews. I can only remember one, but I'll spare you if you think you'll find it offensive.

"Anton the Dove Fancier" is a collection of stories from the Holocaust, and not all of them are of tragedy and despair. It's been so long since I've read the book that I don't recall all of the stories therein, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bernigni was inspired by it.

A lot of people also rip on "Hogan's Heroes" with a greater degree of justification. Life in a prison camp isn't all chuckles and giggles with big-breasted frauleins throwing themselves at the handsome Yankee colonel. (At least, if it was, they never mentioned it in my history books.) But I found it interesting that John Banner based Sergeant Schulz on a real death camp sergeant. He said he was jovial, downright friendly (when nobody with a gun was looking), and did his best to avoid knowing what was going on. In an interview before he died he said that Sergeant Schulz was only slightly modified from the real sergeant in that he wasn't easily duped, he just knew how and when to keep his eyes and mouth shut.

18. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

Wasn't it Samuel Jackson in Changing Lanes? I didn't think it was that bad... reminded me of Falling Down with Kirk Douglas. Not a fun movie, though.

19. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

Life is Beautiful was a super example of escapism in a world where escapism is impossible. It highlighted how tragic the events were without becoming like Schindler's List, and purposely kept it human.

What did y'all think of Amelie, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (the new one from Jim Carey).

That reminds me: Vanilla Sky was also a terrible movie (although I thought I liked it the first time I saw it).

20. Firefly Registered Senior Member

I thought Amelie was... odd, as I started iking the film I was tempted to switch off cos it was so 'odd', but by the end it was kinda sweet and oddly funny. Not intending to watch it again though.

Why do you think Vanilla Sky was a terrible movie?

21. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

Maybe I was just put off by the madness of it all. Almost like Requeim for a dream. And Tom Cruise is such an idiot in the film, but I suppose that was the point. On second thought, maybe it wasn't so bad after all. But I won't watch it for the third time

22. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

''Waterworld''-Holy mugumbo that movie sucked major ass.....

23. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Requiem for a Dream was weird, confused and hard to relate to, but I could see the artistic merit and wouldn't call it a bad movie as such. (Then again, perhaps I'm just biased - being a huge admirer of Jennifer Connelly...

)