The wolf, The goat and the bundle of hay

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by tablariddim, Nov 20, 1999.

1. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I know! I know!
    you're all saying, well what the hell has this gotta do with religious debate?
    and I would say, probably nothing at all.
    But my previous riddle seemed to create a bit of a buzz amongst the religious fraternity, so here goes with another lateral oldie.

There's a shepherd with a goat, a wolf and a bundle of hay.They have to cross a river and the shepherd has a little boat. Trouble is, the boat is only big enough to take the shepherd and one passenger at a time.
    How does he get himself and his cargo to the other side of the river, keeping them safe from each other as he does so?

PS, you cannot cheat by, eg, parting the waters, or even indeed, walking on the waters!

-DON'T TIE UP YOUR LACES-
    -TILL YOU PUT YOUR BOOTS ON-

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ilgwamh Fallen Angel Registered Senior Member

If you don't want the answer scroll to the next post:

First pray

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

then bring the goat to the other side leaving the hay and the wolf. The wolf will not eat the hay. Then go back and get the wolf. Bring him to the other side where the goat is. You can't leave the goat and the wolf together because the wolf will eat the goat, so bring the goat back leaving just the wolf. When you get back bring the hay over leaving the goat. Leave the hay with the wolf and then go back and get the goat.

Vinnie

You think your in good hands with All State? Your not in good hands unless your in the nail-pierced hands of the Son of God!

------------------
    Fred Hoyle (British astrophysicist): "A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. The numbers one calculates from the facts seem to me so overwhelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Searcher Registered Senior Member

Tab,

First off, can we assume the shepherd will not be attacked by the wolf? I certainly hope so, otherwise I'd have to cheat!

Okay, here goes:

1) The shepherd takes the goat across first, leaving the wolf with the hay on side A, the goat by itself on side B; returns to side A alone.

2) The shepherd picks up the wolf, depositing it on side B while leaving the hay alone on side A. Before leaving side B, the shepherd picks up the goat and takes it back to side A.

3) The shepherd then drops off the goat on side A, takes the hay to side B and leaves it with the wolf; returns to side A alone.

4)The shepherd picks up the goat and goes back to side B. Done!

------------------
    www.indigenousrocks.com

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Searcher Registered Senior Member

Hey, I-love-God-with-all-my-heart,

Can I just call you Gil for short?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You beat me to it! Congratulations!

------------------
    www.indigenousrocks.com