The value of truth and science

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by MysteriousStranger, May 24, 2009.

1. Bishadi Banned Banned

you lose your 'perception' each night you go to sleep but your not dead

such as to plant a tree before you sleep, you are living in that choice (the action you imposed to exist)

the reason most cannot understand, is that few understand the comprehension of what 'life' is.

think of your life as the wave upon a pond

when you do 'good' your wave combines with other life and together they live longer.

doing 'bad' is when the wave thinks it is separate and keeps trying to jump out of the pond (a loss to the common)

the error is folks think conscious awareness is life but fail to see the light of the matter.

if life was conscious awareness, then you are literally practicing death each night you go to sleep!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. swarm Registered Senior Member

No. Your perceptions are retained. Your brain is just busy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. swarm Registered Senior Member

There is nothing beyond that which any one can prove.

Personally I feel it is best to live well now and let the future take care of itself.

Frankly you theists always strike me as people of no faith in your god.

Relax a bit. If he exists I'm sure he isn't the stupid jerk you guys make him out to be.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bishadi Banned Banned

how many are aware during sleep? perhaps for moments some are aware of their own snoring but not overall.

perception is not 'senses'. Perception is of self awareness via the sense.

You are not using the term correctly, swarm.

if 'life' was to be considered the awareness of self, then each night most every human is practicing death

it is the same as when each die, their soul is not going to a magical place where they get to see their old friends.

memories are affixed to the body and why alzheimers patients are having to meet their own children

8. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Alas, it is you who are using the term incorrectly.

swarm is correct; perception simpliciter is exactly synonymous with sensation.

9. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

How can you be sure?
    Why would gods be good?

10. Bishadi Banned Banned

glaucon; do us both a favor, question the world before me of such trivial stuff

yu can question what i say, but when it comes to items as i make a statement against some of the fools on this site, plEeeeeeeeeeeeeese

don't side with the fool

Definitions of perception on the Web:

* percept: the representation of what is perceived; basic component in the formation of a concept
    * a way of conceiving something; "Luther had a new perception of the Bible"
    the process of perceiving
    * knowledge gained by perceiving; "a man admired for the depth of his perception"
    *sensing: becoming aware of something via the senses

that is tongue twisting BS............'perception impliciter' (what the beep is that)

as you are using the word OUT OF CONTEXT........

Definitions of simpliciter on the Web:

(philosophy) simply; without any qualification or condition

perception has its own set of q&c as you butchered both the dialogue and use of word; with no uncertainty!

sensations allow each avenue to be perceived but is not perception of consciousness (awareness)

11. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

I have no idea what either of these statements mean...

Yes, so you see now how you're incorrect (despite selecting the wrong word to be defined..). Notice how all the definitions involve reception, that is, an external stimulus.

You're obviously not familiar with philosophical terminology.
    And it was "simpliciter", not "impliciter"....

No, you are granting more to the word than it implies...

Right. And we're not discussing introspection.

12. swarm Registered Senior Member

All of us are aware during REM and will incorperate perseptions into whatever we are dreaming about. During deep sleep perception is at its lowest ebb, but sense data is still being processed. Try touching me on the face some time when I'm asleep. I'm one of those "instant on" people. But don't stand too close when you do.

There are many studies on sleep and perception. Do a bit of research.

Nope, you are just sorting through the day's activities and deciding what to keep and what to forget and you are having a bit of "holodeck" entertainment.

13. swarm Registered Senior Member

Evil is inherantly self defeating in the long run (at least according to game theory) and gods would have a very long run.

Besides why spin stupid fantasies like the theists do?

Last edited: May 31, 2009