the universe is a sphear

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

It's an interaction of physical things. It is not something seperate from them, if that's what you mean. Change in the physical structure = change in the consciousness.
    We don't have to measure "consciousness", we can observe the process, we can detect the electrical signals, we can look at the synaptic connections.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. duendy Registered Senior Member

but isn't that sneaky way of beliving you AREmeasuring it by assuming it lies in connections between physical events?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Any feeling is subjective, it doesn't mean anything.
    An activity can be detected.

I won't continue on this, think what you wish, everything that needs to be said has been said in the beforementioned thread, anything else is your own capacity to make sense of that information.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

We do not know what consciousness is. We do not know how it arose. We do not know to what extent other animals are conscious. We do not know to what extent other persons are conscious.
    You cannot lightly dismiss it as almost an incidental, because we can observe the process. We do not observe the process of consciousness. We observe activities that appear to be related to the process, but the cause/effect relationship is not clear in many cases.
    Well, of course, you can dismiss al of this, and have done so. But then, you are just responding in a determined, mechanistic manner to stimuli, while suffering the illusion of free will and the impression that you are conscious.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

But we have a pretty good guess.
    To the best of their physical capacity.
    Ha! To what extent are you conscious? Can we even apply the word?
    That still doesn't give us clearance for inventing metaphysical explanations.
    Of course, indeed I am. I wouldn't call it suffering though.
    Enjoying the ride.

9. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

You didn't look close enough. The hamburger is made of atoms, and atoms are made of smaller particles. All the way to infinity, to nothingness.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

You need to learn physics more.

11. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

The universe is not physical, so physics is not the right science for reality.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

From ignorance stupidity arises.

14. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

You need to learn metaphysics more.

15. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

Avatar, I am God. Tell me: if the universe is physical, what is it made of?

16. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Your breath, oh mighty one.

It is truly very powerful.

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Why, energy of course.

18. duendy Registered Senior Member

...AND consciousness is how that energy that makes the universe feels

wonder if you'll ever click hun....?

19. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Is Avatar German?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Of course.
    I wouldn't use the word "makes" though, I'd use "lets".

21. UnderWhelmed Registered Senior Member

avatar: your definition of consciousness is bang on!

The universe is a term given to encompass everything. It is infinite and finite at the same time (at least from our prospective).

If you could freeze frame the universe so to speak, yes it would be a sphere. There would of course be local invariants but the average would be a sphere. This is all assuming that the big bang is correct; which most people would agree it is. That being said there is no center point. So as far as we can tell it would go on forever in all directions.

22. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

But the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate. In what does it expand then? Or do you think there is no need for that extra space in which to expand?

I like the multiverse assumption, it's very ellegant and fits in different theories as a nice possible addition. Of course, it's still just an assumption. A bit like the atomic theory 2500 years ago.

23. duendy Registered Senior Member

your agreeing with now has me worried....DO we mean the same...?.......if you are then you are now a wild panpsychist...!