The Universe has boundary?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Saint, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

Not having a boundary doesn't necessarily make the universe infinite.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

Does that mean having a boundary would not necessarily make the universe finite?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Emil Valued Senior Member

Do you understand the universe as three-dimensional space?
    If so then you're right.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

If it's not infinite, then it must have an ending. That place where it ends, please tell me what it is called? Now, whatever is on the other side, please tell me what that is called? These things need names.

8. billvon Valued Senior Member

That doesn't follow. The surface of a sphere has no ending when viewed from a two dimensional perspective. But it's not infinite.

What's the other side of a Mobius strip called?

9. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

One way or the other there always has to be something more. If you have a sphere or a mobius strip, they have to be somewhere. An example of a sphere might be an event horizon and we have many of those in our universe. If our universe is a sphere, maybe we are in someone else's universe?

Just saying, if we can think of a thing, maybe it should have a name that people can define. So when we talk to each other about it, we are all thinking the same thing. As it stands now, I have a hard time telling the apples from the oranges and many things in between.

10. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

You can keep adding more and more dimensions to space but that's irrelevant to what I said.

11. Emil Valued Senior Member

How many times can you "adding more and more dimensions to space" ?
    Please explain how?

12. prometheus viva voce! Registered Senior Member

Polite notice: The gibberish level is increasing on this thread. Please could all posters do their bit to get this back down to acceptable levels.

13. Emil Valued Senior Member

This thread does not belong to Physics & Math.

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

What number is highest than the highest real number?

Right. But what's north of the north pole? What's on the other side of a Mobius strip? What's outside the universe? They're all similar questions.

The term "outside the universe" refers to a place you cannot get to, cannot be measured and cannot affect the rest of the universe. It has the reality of the place north of the north pole.

15. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

Can we not estimate the diameter of the universe?

16. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

Don't take this as gospel, but I think I read somewhere recently it was in the neighborhood of 98 billion light years. Don't ask where or how that number was arrived at... (maybe it was 68 billion? It seemed far fetched to me at te time.)

17. Emil Valued Senior Member

The universe is immensely large and possibly infinite in volume.The region visible from Earth (the observable universe) is a sphere with a radius of about 46 billion light years, based on where the expansion of space has taken the most distant objects observed.
    Wikipedia:Universe,Size

18. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

There is an estimation of \(10^{10^{10^{122}}}\) \({Mpc}^3\) volume implied by the resolution of the no boundary proposal.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  19. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

Where did you get that number?

20. wlminex Banned Banned

perhaps the 'boundary' of the universe is internal . . . not external . . .

21. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Andre Lindt and Alan Guth were talking about the latest versions of inflationary theory, and Lindt said he got a figure for the size of the universe of 10^12^12^12. When Guth asked 'what are the units? Centimeter, meters or kilometers?' Lindt replied 'with that large a figure, what does it matter?'

Guth said he felt a little foolish.

22. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

You just threw that out for no good reason, didn't you? You know it makes no sense, but it sounds perfound.

23. wlminex Banned Banned

AlexG: Get out of the box . . . it'll do wonders for your psyche!