The Trump Presidency

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Maybe taking hundreds of thousands of dollars in speaking fees to organizations like Goldman Sachs? God forbid they let their conscience get in the way of making a buck.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

There is nothing wrong with ex-government officials making a buck giving speeches. Ex-government officials and others have been doing it since the dawn of the nation. It isn't corruption. Hell Trump has spent a good portion of his life doing it.

Trump came to my town on the speaking circuit. A few of my employees took some time off to go hear his speech. They came back a bit depressed, which is ironic because it was suppose to be a motivational speech. These people were on the older side of life, and he told them that if people are not successful by age 30, they will never be successful.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Riiight, large amounts of money for nothing aren't bribery. There's nothing wrong with it legally, but if they want to maintain my respect, they wouldn't do it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well here is the thing comrade, a speech isn't nothing. Celebrities, and high ranking ex-government officials are celebrities, are paid just for going to places and partying. That's not a bribe whether you like it or not. What can ex-government officials offer other than a speech? They aren't in power. They have nothing to give other than their speech, thoughts, and presence.

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

They are invited to do so. The people who ask them know the price. That's an honest "deal". And they have earned it. Both parties are satisfied . You understand my meaning?

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Like I said, it's probably legal, but it makes me lose respect for them. Obama did it too.

10. Write4U Valued Senior Member

You seem to forget that at $1500.00 p/hr, a good lawyer can make a lot more money in the private sector than "serving" society in a non-profit organization, such as government is.

Moreover, they never profited while in office. OK, they got good health-care, but also advocated for Universal health-care for all the people, for which they were accused of establishing "death panels".

Did I recently hear something about "high-risk pools" costing $6000 for people who can least afford it? Speaking of "death panels" !!??

Perhaps, you should become a more "informed" citizen.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Um, what?

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Precisely......., think about it, I know you are capable of it.

p.s Who edited my original post by removing all the spaces and using italics. That is not how I wrote it!!!! Must have been the computer program?

13. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

it happens when you use the quote brackets inappropriately sometimes...

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Thanks , I re-edited and did remove a quote bracket. I'll be more careful.

15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Not on this thread. Turning everything into a referendum on the Clintons is standard wingnut trolling, and I shouldn't have bit in the first place.

In Trump news, a copy paste from one of those many lefty blogs that - unlike any of the major media - has been accurate and insightful on the topic of Trump for the entire campaign and tenure to date: http://yastreblyansky.blogspot.com

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

And while I'm linking to intelligent, informed bloggers for insight and hyperlinks to the good stuff, here's another from Yas - on the topic of the non-voter, the absence of whom just delivered the US government into the hands of the Donald and the rest of the Russian mob: http://yastreblyansky.blogspot.com/2017/06/nonvoters.html#more

Sample:
    "- - - - -
    Rather than trying to win over Trump voters, as the WWC theory suggests, we should be trying to win over nonvoters, in particular those smart people who haven't managed to finish college, or otherwise failed to flourish, precisely because they're too smart for the paths to a normal middle-class success, which entail desperate boredom, alienation, and suppressing one's creativity. People smart enough to decide it's ridiculous to vote, a silly conventional gesture in response to promises that will never be kept.

For one thing because Trump voters just aren't those tragically lost ex-miners and pill poppers we keep hearing about. Those people aren't voting. Trump voters are an entirely different group. I've been trying to say this since November, and I'm not alone, but the journalistic world and the Democratic Party can't seem to get a grasp on it, no matter how many times they're told, most recently by Nicholas Carnes and Noam Lupu in The Monkey Cage: Trump supporters in the primary campaign were mostly affluent, two thirds of them with incomes above the median, and while many of them didn't have college degrees (70%), that was around the same as the population as a whole; I'd add that because they skew older than other political cohorts, they come from a generation in which economic success without a college degree was a lot easier than it is today. You can see from the following table off the exit polls, Trump voters who earned more were even a bit less educated than those who earned less:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And old, white non-Hispanic persons with low income and no college degree made up just 25% of Trump's electorate."

Yas, btw, likes Hillary quite a bit - much more than I do. If you need bias info.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Lawyers make a lot of money, but they don't get $200,000 per hour.

18. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

Yes, this is if you use the \$ sign without adding a \ before it.

Write4U likes this.
  19. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well, most lawyers aren't celebrities either. You are comparing apples to oranges.

20. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Trump has a habit of doing odd things. So no one should be surprised when he does an odd thing.

That said, it's baffling that Trump has employed a real estate lawyer to defend him in a criminal case. It seems to me that if you need brain surgery, you go-to a brain surgeon, and if you need a criminal lawyer, you get a criminal lawyer. But not Trump. He gets a civil litigator.

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

#amateurhour | #WhatTheyVotedFor

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The thing about loyalty is that at least he knows how these people work; the familiarity means worlds to a man as isolated as President Donald Trump.

Remember, he does not have a realistic grasp on things. I honestly think he figures he skates simply on executive privilege, whether we impeach him or not. I don't think he recognizes the genuine risk of prison until we start sending people up.

That said, Marc Kasowitz might end up needing a lawyer. There's another context of obstruction, right there: It's one thing to brag that you got Preet Bharara fired by telling President Trump, "This guy is going to get you", but quite another if you're his attorney and actually have position and opportunity to really do so, and, furthermore, just what the hell was the former U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York actually going to get him for?

Just sayin'.

Seriously, though, which one of these canned jokers most needs a lapel shaking and hearty, "Phuckisupwitchoo?" With friends like these, y'know?

I mean really. They're wrecking my joke about how he wants to be impeached as soon as possible by setting him up for prison.

Notes:

Benen, Steve. "Did Trump’s personal lawyer help fire a key U.S. attorney?". msnbc. 13 June 2017. msnbc.com. 15 June 2017. http://on.msnbc.com/2sCxGtO

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

It was the LaTeX formatting - the dollar sign is a special character. I have edited your post to try and resolve it (If memory serves, putting the Dollar in Italics should fix the issue - if it doesn't, I will put the escape character \ in front of them)

Write4U likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.