The Trump Presidency

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

At some point late yesterday I wandered briefly through someone's commentary about how Donald Trump has given the Democrats the perfect excuse to stonewall Gorsuch on the grounds that McConnell and Ryan had at one point argued that the Senate should wait to confirm the nominee until after the campaign.

I now wish I had paid more attention, just because it would have been fun to drop the link with the implication, "Thanks, Donald!"

Thing is I've been running private windows to dodge a couple cookies, so I don't remember whose article or where.

On the upside, the Alphapheno Northern Lights is nearly perfect. Never mind; had I the Medusa Northern Lights, I wouldn't remember reading the article at all.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

No, really, twenty-one is enough; thirty-two and six is just silly.

Edit: Add spoiler image to complete the joke. (18 Fe 2017; 14.10 PT)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    joepistole likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

This so called campaign event is more about shoring up support for his existing situation using the only method he is reasonably successful at. He must be noticing that his supporters are very disappointed and starting to walk away from the "mooovement" IMO

No tax returns.
    No removal of potential conflicts of interest. ( business vs government)

Both key promise fails.

He has no credibility at all until he delivers on those major vote winning promises IMO.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Trump celebrated his 55% voter approval rate from the right wing Rasmussen Reports during his hour long news conference. These are the same guys who said Romney always wins. It's a bit of a mystery how Rasmussen determines who is a "likely" voter given there are no elections on the horizon and the next presidential election is 4 years away. But if they continue down this road, that would be a good excuse to stonewall the Gorsuch nomination.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/prez_track_feb17

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think these campaign events are more about shoring up Trump's narcissism.

8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Oh... but of course... ultimately it all comes back to the NPD...

9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Narcissistic people are exhausting over extended time. Constantly having to prop up their egos, walking on egg shells etc . Eventually people just have to walk away... Just a matter of time..

10. Seattle Valued Senior Member

It will be entertaining to see the press figure out how to deal with Trump. People didn't know how to deal with Ross Perot initially. Al Gore figured it out in his debates with Perot and we've basically never heard from Perot again.

There's a good article in the Guardian that suggests that the press just ignore the insults and question him on his lies. I think at a certain point and even better approach will be to question him on his failures.

He promised to "drain the swamp" in his campaign regarding cleaning up privilege in politics and Wall Street. He isn't going to be successful doing that so constantly call him on it. Ask him where are all the high paying new jobs that he said he would create.

Attach him on working class failures and his support will fall away. I think he promised the nation a new hair cut upon becoming President. Call him on that.

Will we ever see Trump with short, grey hair?

11. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Agrees!
    One thing I know he is most vulnerable:

His failure to do as promised:
    • Tax returns
    • Distancing himself from his business activities.

The reason is simple: I think he feels that he needs to protect his future if booted from the White House.
    Publishing his tax returns, as promised, would leave his future and past business dealings vulnerable to criticism and distancing himself from his companies would like wise threaten him and his family personally.

(Essentially a conflict of interest, secret commissions etc)

If the press constantly requested him to fulfill his election promises regarding the Tax returns and financial separation they might make head way.

12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Instead of campaigning Trump should be doing what Pence is doing: meeting with our allies.

13. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I think Trump's business dealings/conflicts will be what eventually brings him down.

As far a dealing with him, just remember that he is a narcissist and wants to be liked and he will therefore be predictable in those areas.

Just treat him like the troll that he is. Ignore the comments about the press, ignore the press conferences, don't work for him or do drag your feet if you do work for him and just wait for his business conflicts to do him in. It won't take long.

14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

His base, which is the core voting base of the Republican Party (and every single Republican in Congress knows this), will interpret all of that as the enemy press trying to undermine the United States.

That will serve to further solidify the identification of the enemy press, which can then be excluded from access to news of government. Trump has plenty of friendly news minions - he's already giving front row seats to Breitbart and Sinclair, the Washington Post and Christian Broadcasting Service, etc.

15. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Weak-minded people sure seem to need a lot of mutual encouragement.

16. Bells Staff Member

Well, this is going well..

In screaming about terrorism at his rally in Florida, Trump then mentions Sweden and carries on as though there was a terror attack there, the day before.. After mentioning Germany, he then says to look at Sweden and 'what happened there the day before', then talks about Brussels and the terror attacks there and France..

PRESIDENT Trump was in campaign mode when he told a rally in Orlando that there had just been a terror attack in Sweden. There hadn’t. But there had been a show on TV ...

No media or government agency around the world — or Sweden — has reported any incident or attack involving refugees there in recent times.

Now former prime minister of Sweden Carl Bildt has some questions to ask.

“Sweden? Terror attack? What has he been smoking? Questions abound.”

President Trump told the Orlando-Melbourne crowd: “You look at what’s happening in Germany, you look at what’s happening last night in Sweden ... Sweden. Who would believe this? Sweden ... They took in large numbers. They’re having problems like they never thought possible.”

So where did the US President get the idea from?

As the mediate.com news blog site points out, something along those lines had been on the telly the night before.

The Fox News Tucker Carlson show aired a segment about a documentary maker Ami Horowitz and a film he had made about immigration and Sweden.

His documentary claimed Sweden’s generous immigration policy was linked to a rise in crime, and alleges the government there was attempting to cover-up the link.

It did not detail any specific ‘incident’ happening in Sweden this weekend, or in recent weeks.

There were no terror attacks in Sweden. And Trump was quite distinct in mentioning Sweden and what had happened there "last night in Sweden"...

Trump has done this before. By "this", I mean confusing what he saw on TV and responding, well, like that..

In January he launched a twitter tirade against Chiago, threatening to ‘send in the feds’ if it didn’t get tough on crime. He was referencing a Fox News show that aired moments earlier, discussing the gang-related gun-crime and killings in the troubled city.

In December, he tweeted an attack on aircraft manufacturer Boeing over the price for building a new Air Force One an hour or so after a Fox News report claiming the company was about to outsource manufacturing jobs to India.

Ya, this is the guy you want in charge of the nuclear launch codes..

17. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

I don't know that it's surprising that many people are waiting to see how long Trump will last.

My pick is it's a contest of sorts, between the Republicans who don't seem to have noticed the audience has stopped laughing, and the spooks who will end up telling them it's time he hit the, erm, showers.

18. river

trump is troubling to say the least .

19. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Trump isn't our real President. He's just some guy we hired to play one on television. You didn't think he was the real President did you?

20. river

the catch 22 is , trump wins against the bush , clinton era , breaks these families hold on power , yet at the same time , has no idea what he is doing , politically has no idea what he is doing .

of course the US has become a very strange country any way

21. river

yes

because he fought against the powers that be and won .

22. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

How many House Republicans are worrying about what the IC might dig up, or leak? What the hell are Trump's supporters still baying about?

23. Seattle Valued Senior Member

We should observe a moment of silence for our brothers and sisters in Sweden (and Bowling Green of course).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.