The Trump Presidency

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Write4U Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

That's an easy guarantee.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sculptor Valued Senior Member

I sculpt and build what I want to see.
    Trump doesn't make the cut.

Michelangelo is reported to have taken umbrage when someone referred to him as an estatuario proclaiming I am not a maker of statues, I am a sculptor.

ok
    so I ain't no Michelangelo
    (just saying)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Nevertheless I respect your obvious abundance of talent and craftsmanship.
    That's why I used the phrase "create".
    But I can certainly understand that the image of Trump does not lead to inspiration, except perhaps in the horror genre.

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Just an off-hand thought.

Fortunately, true artists are usually not concerned with the commercial aspects of their creations, unless they get wide exposure of their work. And therein lies the problem, but there are options and opportunities to gain exposure in expositions or other more direct personal means.

My wife watches a reality TV show "Million Dollar Listings in New York" which features three real estate brokers of high end properties. They deal in multi-million dollar estates.

Came to mind;
    When they list and show these multi-million dollar properties they often buy or lease extraordinary visual furnishings to impress potential buyers.

Having had some business experience, it occurred to me that if you have a portfolio of your work, this might provide an opportunity to gain exposure to people who can afford to buy your art.

IMO, your work deserves wide attention.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    sculptor likes this.
  9. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Scaramucci thinks he's doing a pasa doble, The Independent has this:
    --http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/anthony-scaramucci-white-house-new-yorker-ryan-lizza-communications-reince-priebus-a7864526.html

10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

It will be interesting to see if Kelly can bring discipline to the White House. I'm not optimistic. Trump isn't a disciplined kind of guy. Trump likes chaos. Trump's vassals like chaos. Kelly likes order. Who will win? Will the Marine Corps general be able to bring order to the White House? My bet is on Trump.

cluelusshusbund likes this.
  11. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Thanx
    I never was any good at marketing.
    kinda alien to me
    I made a cd, but don;t even know what to do with them

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The only part I don't get is that Trump can just hand out the Chief of Staff job, and Kelly's slot at DHS requires Senate confirmation. I'm wondering if Democrats have stopped reeling at this point long enough to figure out what they want to do about it. I mean, really, that part should be pretty straightforward: We want to ... [play nice/make a point].

The boundaries and details of what they choose can always wait 'til morning, but they should at least have this decision made.

13. Write4U Valued Senior Member

If I may suggest. Start with a reputable Art dealer in the nearest city. Show your cd and ask if they can suggest a next step. Good art dealers usually have knowledge of sources and may be able to give a lead.
    Then take it from there. One step at the time.
    Remember, "six degrees of separation", it applies to marketing anything..
    Found this site, but have no idea if they can help; https://www.sixandflow.com/marketin...ng/five-steps-marketing-an-art-gallery-online

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Sorry mods, will stay on topic

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

douwd20 likes this.
  16. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Is this site not a variation of social media?

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Yes, but the term wasn't in wide circulation until the days of Myspace, Facebook, and Twitter, and then how many other socmed services over time?

18. sculptor Valued Senior Member

socmed
    hmmm
    a new "word" for me
    reminds me army speak, and then of the small army post where "office" was abbreviated to "off."
    except for the "off." of our representative from the judge advocate general (jag) who insisted that the painter spell out the entire word "office" on his door.

19. douwd20 Registered Senior Member

You're kidding right? Every time he fires someone everyone thinks now we can return to normalcy. Not going to happen. The problem obviously is from the top down and at 70 yrs old with early stage dementia nothing will change. Never mind the Russian iceberg quickly about to scrape the side of this titanic presidency. Then Agent Orange will try to pardon himself and his criminal family.

joepistole likes this.
  20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Well, there is an extraordinarily slender chance that I might have coined it.

I mean, really, that I never heard it anywhere else doesn't mean anything, and the idea that nobody thought of it before I started using it a few years ago is virtually impossible; but it's true, I got sick of using certain words over and over again, so I started using soccon (social conservative) and socmed (social media) a few years ago, just because, though in truth I might also have intended a point about the ten thousand character limit on posts installed with the new software a few years ago. Either way, though, quite clearly, it hasn't caught on, which is weird in its own way since this is the age of such silly reconstruction of societal convention, but there are reasons and these will likely reveal themselves over time if I really decide to be so obsessive as to try to find them. Or maybe not; maybe if I don't pay attention, they'll fishwhack me like a salmon toss gone bad all over a blind man ... er ... ah ... (sigh).

(Honestly, I know I didn't invent the phrase "tilting windmills" because I got it from somewhere in literature, preceding me by decades at least. Still, though, wherever the rest of the internet got it, the phrase eventually caught on, because there was a period when it was not listed as an alternative name for straw man. Still, that one sticks out to me because it was nearly a foreign phrase around people I knew, save the English Lit degree and the theologian. I can't say I'm better than average, or anything, in predicting social trends—the best statistical result I have is scoring phenomenally below average on Zener cards, which isn't helpful—but it's also true that witnessing certain aspects emerging in my society and the human endeavor over the last twenty years has been extraordinarily fascinating, and almost feels like a privilege.)

21. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

"Tilting at windmills", comes from Don Quixote. (tilting comes from jousting)

"Tilting windmills" sounds like what Dutch teenagers would do as a prank, along the lines of "tipping cows"(and by this I do not mean giving them a gratuity)

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Click to burn sosobra, God of Bad Luck.

Aye; I was referring to the adaptation of tilting windmills to a particular form of metaphor that has become a virtual stand-in for straw man. One of my favorite bands also recalls Ride the Pink Horse, invoking the line↱, "They burn zozobra, God of Bad Luck"; I'm starting to like having variations on straw men. Tilting windmills seems to be, much like its Don Quixote origin, a David and Goliath posture; sosobra are less invested in the power of a person, thing, or idea, and more in a proposition of revulsion according to the expectation of negative results.

Then again, how much effort do I want to put into making the distinction stick?

(We Americans either "joust" or "joust with" something; we don't "joust at" it, thus the lack of a preposition; our version of the language includes "jousting windmills" as a reasonably proper formulation. Then again, how many of us think of jousting as dropping an ostrich on your head, and, really, nobody knows how we taught them to fly.)

23. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

After 9 months Russia is finally retaliating for Obama's additional sanctions on Russia in 2016. Russia has finally decided their vassal, The Donald, will not be able to deliver the goods, i.e. sanctions relief. Russia has lost faith in Trump's ability to deliver the goods. Congress, a Republican congress, has neutered "The Donald's" ability to run Russian foreign policy. Both Putin and Trump didn't see that one coming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.