The "Trophy Building"

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by Tiassa, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Source: Slog
    Link: http://slog.thestranger.com/2008/02/the_trophy_building
    Title: "The Trophy Building", by Dominic Holden
    Date: February 29, 2008

The essential story:

The proposed building:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The building will contain nineteen residential units ranging in price from $2-18 million.

The issue raised:

On the one hand, it sounds like a technical challenge. To the other, what if the designers fail that challenge? I mean, it looks pretty, but it also looks like it will fall over in a breeze.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

geeese thats like kind of dangerous

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Facial Valued Senior Member

There are similar dimensions of such high-rises in Hong Kong.

But yes, the designs should undergo intense scrutiny to withstand wind and seismic forces.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

I am sure the design can be sturdy. It is how this looks with respect to the surrounding area that can be questioned. But then again, once built, others could do the same next to this property to balanced out the sore thumb look.

We had a Rite-Aid store locally next to a fried chicken (this is south!) joint. So Walgreen bought it and put us its store next door. Samething happened to the McDonald next to a fraternity house that was bought out by BurgerKing....

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i cant belive it doesnt have to get building aproval, hell a GARAGE requires building aproval here, i think even some hen houses do. NO development is exsempt

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Repackaging the neighborhood

That whole part of town is being redeveloped. It's sort of a bizarre saga involving Paul Allen, any number of developers, overpriced condominiums, and the SLUTa one-car trolley system also known as "The Train to Nowhere".

As Holden's article notes, "it will be 40' taller than surrounding proposed skyscrapers, such as 1200 Stewart and the Stewart Minor Tower, which are subject to extensive design guidance".

Clockwise: 1200 Stewart, Stewart-Minor, Kinects Apartments.

Clicking the second or third image above will lead to The Seattle Condo Blog, which includes a map showing the location of all three buildings.

Right now, the general attitude of city leaders is that the more highrises they can pack into this part of the city, the better. The higher they can push the cost of real estate, the better. It's part of Seattle's transition into a "world-class city", or something like that.

10. DJ Erock Resident Skeptic Registered Senior Member

There's no way the building would be built if it weren't structurally sound. If an engineer puts his stamp on a building that, "will fall over in a breeze," he's not going to be in the business any longer. The city's design guidance would be on an aesthetic only basis. As far as that goes, I really don't think its too bad, and I don't really think a city should get to veto an architects design, just because some committee doesn't like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.