the trolling issue

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by iceaura, Sep 27, 2009.

1. countezero Registered Senior Member

The door is right over there. Please use it.

The above qualifies as trolling.

Yes, nothing.

Sam's first post was the following: "Why didn't the USAF just bomb the whole city with precision strikes? Isn't that the favoured method of tackling terrorism in the US?"

This, after someone in the Dallas area basically was just commenting on how odd/scary the entire threat was. Sam's response? Leap to the political. Leap to anti-American rhetoric that makes little or no sense. I mean, pray tell, how does one bomb a "whole city" with "precision strikes"? Attacking an entire city and using precision strikes are mutually exclusive methodologies.

Furthermore, Sam knows that terrorism in the US is not "tackled" by bombing of any kind, so exactly what sense does her post make? I vote none. It was off-topic, inflammatory, inaccurate and inane and your defense of it only puts you in a camp you should want to avoid, if you care about intellectual integrity and honesty, that is...

It is random, and you admit as much when you write about how she saw an opportunity. She certainly did. She always does. Sam uses everything as an "opportunity" to put forward her views on topics that only tangentially related, if they are related at all. That thread was not about bringing anything home. It was started by a person in Dallas who wanted to talk about the events there -- not Sam's kooky perception of USAF tactics.

It's also an observation based on the experience we have all gained from years of dealing with her. Whether she means to troll or not, I cannot say, nor will I attempt to "mind-read." But she does. And it's obvious. And trolling, while somewhat subjective, can actually be determined. It's not a mystical thing that defies observation.

Your mentioning Israel is telling. There have been numerous times I have seen her reach for that easy target. Most of those times, it was totally uncalled for.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

what leads you to believe that i don't object?
    pliers ,torches, boxing gloves, and hammers are also common "torture devices".
    the discussion was about cops remember?
    what i posted is not my opinion.
    you can verify that yourself with the CIA world factbook.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Who has noticed that when asked, the people in the "I HAET AMERIKA" club consistently avoid stating whether they are even an American or not?

*raises hand* I have.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It as though many of them want everyone else to assume that they are dissenting Americans, when in reality they are just some more angry foreign nationals.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. WillNever Valued Senior Member

So what country are you from, mike47?

8. superstring01 Moderator

It is when you assert it as fact. Examples being:
    "The USA is a nation of murderers, intent on enslaving Afghanistan and using it as a conduit for energy resources."
    See. That was a statement of fact. Not opinion. While it may be an opinion, you cannot attempt to posit it as factual.

While one could phrase it like:
    "Well, I'm of the opinion that the USA is a nation of murderers. . . slavery. . . energy resources."
    The fact stands, you will be called out on that opinion. You may be given a pas the first, or second time, you will, and can be required to support that assertion. Repeated posting of the same opinion sans support will be considered trolling.

You are right. Many people are treated very differently here. You're under some impression that everybody should be treated the same, which is a joke. See, for example we treat the trolls, liars and flame-throwers very differently than those who act in good faith, support their posts and resist the urge to flame. So, yeah, people get treated differently all the time. That's called good management.

Well, if you don't like it, you could always leave the forum, go someplace else. No one will begrudge you. No one will come chasing you down. You're an adult and can vote with your feet.

~String

9. mike47 Banned Banned

Fuck you and ban me for life fucking queer .
    Go ahead now .

10. superstring01 Moderator

Request granted.

~String

11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Your once again displayed inability to follow meanings and implications is not a problem with SAM's posts.
    I never see your objections on this forum. Your private opinions are not at issue.
    Your first post on this thread is a prime example of what you accuse SAM of doing, and a much worse one than the posts of SAM's you reference.

Note that it was not relevant to the OP, was a personal accusation devoid of argument or evidence, and deflected the thread into acrimony irrelevant to the attempted discussion.

Everything you post here in your own words, not quoted or linked, is your opinion. Get used to the idea of owning your opinions. This is pixels on a screen, and the assertion that some people post "just opinions" and other people post "facts" is just a wingnut debating tactic for avoiding issues.

{edited out something likely to confuse re stun guns, in response to this below, which was well taken IMHO: "i never asserted any such thing. nor did i imply it.
    you are taking two different posts of mine on different subjects and combining them." }

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Tolerant sort of chap, wasn't he.

13. sandy Banned Banned

:bravo:
    Boy, did he have me fooled. When I first came back I kind of liked him. He was kind of rational. What the hell happened?

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

i never asserted any such thing. nor did i imply it.
    you are taking two different posts of mine on different subjects and combining them.

figure it out yourself because i'm not explaining it to you.

15. sandy Banned Banned

We use stun guns only as a last resort when a perp is beyond violently dangerous and impossible to cuff. We don't torture anyone.

16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

He cared too much about the rationality part, confused it with fairness, and lost his temper over the difference.

Some posters here are allowed to tell people to go fuck themselves, troll and goad and post one-liner provocations irrelevant to the threads, spend their time here picking side fights and getting personal with other posters , and some aren't.

Some posters here may repeatedly and continually post their agenda or obsessions with ridiculous assertions and bizarre nonsense (retailing their imam's prophecies about Persia attacking Israel, say) without ever posting "scientific" reasoning or evidence for them, and some may not.

Mike there was overreacting to this circumstance. It's just a forum - it is what it is, and we're all here by choice.

{in an attempt to curtail the unintended, I edited out my stun gun comment above. It made no sense, I notice too late. Sorry about that, and no my hope for this thread does not involve discussions of stun guns or torture or the like}

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  17. Gustav Banned Banned

this is a gem

18. countezero Registered Senior Member

Bullshit. He trolled and posted unsubstantiated nonsense for weeks. String's evidence to this point is indicative. Numerous other posts could be mentioned as well.

19. superstring01 Moderator

You must amuse yourself a lot with that tripe.

Mike made ridiculous claims, trolled endlessly, was warned by MORE than one admin/mod for his behavior, had his posts recited back to him to demonstrate what he was doing wrong and still refused to reform.

In the end, Mike lost his temper because he, like you, couldn't bear to accept the fact that he was trolling, posting unsubstantiated nonsense and using whatever thread he wanted as a soap-box to spread his pointless messages. In the end, Mike chose to lose control and take it out on the moderator who was dealing with his behavior.

Don't worry, Ice. Mike'll be back in seven days. His ban is only temporary. See how forgiving SciForums can be?

Then you should report those posts so that they can be moderated. There are three moderators for a reason: we can't all see it all. I get about ten complaint emails a day. Not every one gets read, especially since we all have jobs outside of the forum. That's why we have Hype, Mad, James and Plazma to deal with them.

Then again, you could also just post in the threads and participate in the discussion in good faith. When you're asked a pointed question, you should answer and then return the favor. You should also actually have the ability to support your various claims with something other than florid language.

~String

20. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Wait a sec: three mods? Eh?

21. crabapple Registered Senior Member

3 mods, 1 duty: Convert or expel the uncivilized.

22. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Back so soon?

23. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

That wasn't who you thought: I accidentally posted using another member's login (borrowed her computer). Not a sockpuppet situation- I meant to say personally:

3 mods, 1 duty: Convert or expel the uncivilized.