The Trillion Dollar Question?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Bowser, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Surely the only way something like that would work would be if you retained memories of the consequence of your choices. If you had no memory of having already made a choice and the consequences thereof, what would stop you from making the same choices you initially did, given that you would be the same person in exactly the same situation with exactly the same memory.

So if time was just rewound with no memories, I'm fairly sure I'd make the same decisions again (not withstanding any natural randomness).
    However, if I got to go back and retain my memories, then yes please, sign me up. Many choices I'd do differently simply because I've now experienced one choice. Plus in those type of films they never seem to remember lottery numbers, or which shares to invest in, or to adopt Bitcoin at an early stage etc.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. birch Valued Senior Member

yes, i'd invest in microsoft when it was in it's infancy. i'd be the one to pitch bottled water just at the right time when society was ready for the idea etc. you could make a lot of decisions based on predictability but that's only if the world events and the people in them would be relatively unchanged.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. birch Valued Senior Member

why would they? does all seven something billion people on the planet know you? lol.

i know i'm a debbie-downer on this forum but have i done such a good job of hiding my galaxy size ego? can't you tell i love myself? a lot? despite my faults? lol.

i believe in myself more than anyone else in the world. that's where inner strength comes from.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I think the ego is less about love and more about perceptions. That's not a put down.

8. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Thanks to the Internet, they have no excuse not to know me.

Bowser likes this.
  9. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I just believe that your true self is much more interesting than any idea you might have about your self.

10. birch Valued Senior Member

my true self fantasizes about killing people. it helps me not to actually kill people.

11. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I hope that is your sense of humour showing thru.
    Alex

12. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

It helps them, too.

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Only in a Deterministic Newtonian universe.

As a matter of fact, not retaining my memories would be a requirement for me. I don't think I'd want to go back with my current memories.
    The times I have been able to achieve great things were when I was too naive too know they were so hard.
    If I knew how hard things were going to be, I would be less likely to try. It's a real hurdle for me now.

I'd like to go back to be a different person than I am - or was then.

14. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

There seems to be a learning curve in life that makes us more wise over time. I would do it again and the same way if necessary.

15. Lookingfor... Registered Member

A trillion dollars? To me that's 1×10^(24) (as posted in physics/maths section. As for your question, I wouldn't trade my life for anything. I'm very happy. Could be happier, but that is simply the potential of life.

16. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I am not nearly sufficiently wise enough to be content with myself.