The transmoggification of physics

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Oli, Jul 8, 2006.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

ok back to transmogrification or whatever

Why would it involve transportation and not as Calvin decreed, a change in the matter?

The change in matter seems much more likely; phase change is more feasible than actual transport. What do you think?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

That's it, take umbrage. For your information it wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed Nubian AND you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh, so you want to get rid of me. It's been tried before. With considerable effect I'll have you know. No, wait, that came out wrong.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I agree. Moving the pattern makes much more sense.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Okay a phase change. But into what? A gaseous form? That would do it, but then if there were strong draughts surely the cat would end up slightly smaller every time part of it got blown away. Or possibly you'd end up with a selection of numerous small cats. Which does happen but I believe there's a "logical" biological explanation for that.
    If it changed into a liquid form... yeah, cats tend to leave little puddles around, but not where they are after the noisy accidents.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You're going to extremes; the cat would probably just fluidize(patented word) like T-1000 and then sort of get back together picking up pieces as it went along. Souns much more believable than the disappearing into thin air

9. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Any of you know the Schrodingers cat quantum thought experiment? What if all cats are in a constant state of superposition until they are un-observed, like Oli said - anti-quantum. It makes perfect sense now. The cat is "real" while committing the heinous act, then the minute you observe the cat - poof - the cats wave function is fully uncollapsed and smeared out over an infinity of realities and, being a cat (i.e. alien) can manipulate the wave function so that it is never there when you look! Yes! That's it!

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm afraid that went completely over my head; I'm weak in physics

11. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Yep. It was Schrodinger (and the expensive accidents) that got me thinking along these lines. I thought I'd implied the whole thing in the initial post. Probabaly mis-wrote it.
    BTW the correct answer to Schrodinger's question of "is the cat alive or dead" is:
    the cat is asleep on the best chair in the coffee room and there's 15 lab assistants with trauma and scatches sat in the emergency ward awaiting stitches after trying to put the cat in the box?

12. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

A cat is placed in a sealed box. Attached to the box is an apparatus containing a radioactive atomic nucleus and a canister of poison gas. This apparatus is separated from the cat in such a way that the cat can in no way interfere with it. The experiment is set up so that there is exactly a 50% chance of the nucleus decaying in one hour. If the nucleus decays, it will emit a particle that triggers the apparatus, which opens the canister and kills the cat. If the nucleus does not decay, then the cat remains alive. According to quantum mechanics, the unobserved nucleus is described as a superposition (meaning it exists partly as each simultaneously) of "decayed nucleus" and "undecayed nucleus". However, when the box is opened the experimenter sees only a "decayed nucleus/dead cat" or an "undecayed nucleus/living cat."
    From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger's_cat

13. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Yes you did. I was being a bit obtuse.

Yes!

14. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

We'll get the Schrodinger solution written up and published as fast as possible. I may just forgive for scuppering my chances of a larger DVD collection. And once published we might be able to attract funding for a TWO-man experiment on DVD watching and beer drinking ^h^h^h^h I mean serious physics.

15. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Yes. Ummm... serious physics... very uhhh... serious. Yes. Right you are.

16. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I think there's also an ancillary study to be done on the apparent quantum behavior of beer foam. Talk about a synergystic approach to scientific investigation!

17. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Great idea. I remember a good few years back there was somthing in one of the serious physics journals (published because even real scientists need a break) where an astronomer had found someone lighting his matches for a pipe on the lens of the telescope. !!
    The "paper" stated that when the match was lit it caused a brief illumination on the photographic plates and showed as a temporary "stellar" anomaly -obviously. But they went to on say that since the constellation they were looking at was X million light years away there must be a backwards-temporal connection between the striking of the match and the ocurrence of the "anomaly". They requested funding for pipes, tobacco and beer to stop their throats getting dry from smoking the pipe, to further study this event.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Awesome! Who ever said scientists were dull?

19. Sci-Phenomena Reality is in the Minds Eye Registered Senior Member

all this talk of pussy makes me want to see some REAL pussy.....

20. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Hey ToR,

Hope you catch this as you're perusing the thread.

Since this thread is destined for the cesspool anyway... has anyone ever asked you about the mechanics of what's happening in your avatar? Specifically, are you dual-gendered or using a strapon?

Sorry if this causes you any embarrassent, but I had to ask.

21. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Yeah, well.

22. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

I knew it. ToR's cat is a fake.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Don't tell me YOU'RE not seeing any (*raised eyebrows*)