The Toad on the Stove Argument Against Computer Consciousness

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Prince_James, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

No, all programming languages have to be provided with a semantics. Syntax alone provides no information on how to run any program at any level. That includes Turing machines and all other formal systems. The syntax of Turing machine programs (lines of quintuples of the form state x symbol -> symbol x shift x state) does not tell you how to run a Turing machine program on a Turing machine.

I have to admit that I don't really see how syntax being insufficient for semantics is an argument against machine consciousness. It's a very good argument for including semantics in an AI, but not much else.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mackmack Registered Senior Member

"I have to admit that I don't really see how syntax being insufficient for semantics is an argument against machine consciousness. It's a very good argument for including semantics in an AI, but not much else."

actually if you think about it and read books like artificial intelligence: a new synthesis by nils nilsson, they talk about semantics and how predicate calculus can be used to make machines consciuos. Its a good model to start but semantics is a poor way of representing objects in our environment. you can look at some websites that talk about semantics online but they don't really represent things in our environment correctly. At least the approach that they use don't realy work. for example, if you wanted to represent a dog that has 4 legs, we have to identify the objects which is dog and leg. then we draw a relational connection between dog and leg and put the captions on the connection: has 4

dog -------has 4-------- legs

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.