The speed of light may have been broken.

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Pincho Paxton, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Yeah, they used to think the world was flat, but what does that have to do with what we know now?

Who cares what the definition of a meter was before 1983? Today...the definition is as posted, and the speed of light is defined, and remains impossible to be different than 299,792,458 m/s unless the definition of the meter changes.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

Actually you have that all wrong.

Since 1983 a meter could not be more than 1/299,792,458 of a light second long. Nothing done in 1983 fixed the speed of light at any value. That is a measured value. Go back and read kira's post a few times.

If light speeds up the meter will get longer. If it slows it will get shorter. If they decide to use a neutrino who knows what we'll wind up with?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

The speed of light is fixed at 299,792,458 m/s according to the definition of the meter. It is IMPOSSIBLE for the speed of light to be different using the same definition of a meter.

If light were to speed up, the speed of light would be 299,792,458 m/s, according to the current definition of a meter. The meter would get longer.

If light would slow down, the speed of light would be 299,792,458 m/s, according to the current definition of a meter. The meter would get shorter.

Why is that so hard for you to comprehend?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

What was your point?

And do you really believe they would have a world wide recall of all meter sticks and tape measures? Or maybe they would just change the number of meters in a light second.

Considering the trouble they have had adopting the metric system in the U.S. I'd bet on changing the light second.

8. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

My point is that even if light were to slow down or speed up the speed of light would be 299,792,458 m/s. The speed of light is fixed because of the definition of a meter, which you deny.

9. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

You mean change the definition of a meter to be different than 1/299,792,458 of a second?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

You can see the confusion that results when those scientists use a definition to define something else, can't you? What if they had used yards instead, or cubits?

Of course, if you realise that the meter doesn't "fix" the speed of light because c is already a physical constant, you should also see that: a metre and a second are just arbitrarily chosen (definitions of) units of distance and time.

That is, Motor Daddy has the wrong end of the stick. The metre and second are nowadays defined by the speed of light at a constant frequency. The speed is assumed to be a physical invariant (constant in a vacuum), and the frequency is what gets "fixed".
    Because units of distance and time are arbitrarily chosen, any distance and any time can be defined the same way. Aren't physical constants just peachy?
    /shudder

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  11. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

Metre and second are defined by the speed of light only in the name of physics but there are other ways to define them. Anyway I don't see the need to change the units whether light slows down or speeds up.

12. wlminex Banned Banned

. . . . HOLY COW!! . . . . maybe the value of Pi is changing also!!

13. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I guess you have not heard . It is T now not Pi. All the pi eaters are made as hell . T is more like cake

14. wlminex Banned Banned

I'd say, at the risk of losing one's head . . . . "LET THEM EAT CAKE!!"

15. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

MD lives in a universe of his own, in which the map IS the territory. You don't have to measure anything, you simply define it by fiat.

16. Emil Valued Senior Member

I am convinced that you don't suspect the intentions of MD.

17. Reiku111 Banned Banned

I speculated a superluminal nuetrino's four years ago at this place. I don't think it was met with high regard.

I think Ben knew of the work I showed, but he said it was.... unlikely. Well, if experimentation is correct, then maybe it is superluminal, with an imaginary mass term.

18. kwhilborn Banned Banned

I completely agree with Reiku!

Reiku predicted the direction physics did take 4 years ago. In fact I was going to point this out before I saw this last post of his.

Reikus work an thread entitled, "Is the Neutrino a Tachyon?"

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=71654

Was scoffed at by members and moderators.

In fact; one moderator claimed (no name mentioning),
    Now here we are 4 years later and there are papers like this floating around. This was written on subject 2 days ago.

So now we are 4 years later, and it turns out Reiku was correct.

I'd like to point out that Reiku was once banned from Sciforums. This was ridiculous, and anybody caring to scan through some of his threads will find a lot of well thought out suppositions. Suppositions challenge our thinking and seem to frighten members and moderators at this website.

I am so happy he was proven right in this instance.

Let me rephrase;
    "He is closer to being possibly right than anybody else was on that thread, and it has now been proven that neutrinos can travel faster than the speed of light."

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Untrue. He's been banned many times.

Not so.

Also not so. Please try reading the articles linked to.

20. kwhilborn Banned Banned

@ Dywy,
    Reikus a genius compared to you Dywy. No comparison; sorry.

21. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

That would make sense.
    Thanks.

22. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Also untrue.
    But never mind, you're usually wrong.

23. kwhilborn Banned Banned

@ Dywy,

I am usually wrong?
    LMAO. This coming from Dywy. Oh noes!
    Gonna fling some poop at me now.
    Go on; Fling some poo. I know you want to.

Reiku was proven correct as I said in my last post based on the link in post # 1 of this thread. This entire thread is about the recent discovery that neutrinos travel faster than light.

Admit you are wrong Dywy, and give it up. (like that will ever happen).

Reiku is a genius compared to Dywy. I challenge anyone here to read through threads Reiku has started and not become fascinated. Yet Dywys major contribution to this website is trolling.

Dywys famous lines,
    "Wrong!" (when he is)
    "Support your position" (when it is common knowledge)
    "You doodoohead" (sorry think he says crank)
    "Not so" (even if it is,)