The Secret [movie]

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by S.A.M., Jul 19, 2009.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Don't worry, I got it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

Anyone ever heard of the placebo effect? Same freaking thing people.
    The people "believe" they are getting a real drug, and they get better without it somehow.

Now control over your body is one thing, but control over random life events is another.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

No, I read the book. I have no interest in seeing the movie.

The book contains errors. Likewise, I find the book and it's emphasis on material gain rather distasteful.

For centuries, the elite rulers of this planet have been using the secret to forward their goals, however, one of the other universal laws, they explicitly deny, the law of allowance.

Our species, our cultures, and our societies have a pathological and sociological need to CONTROL everything. Thus, the very need for making the movie "The Secret"

The movie and this book stem from our desire to control all aspects of our life, and everyone around us. We tend to not let anyone or anything just, "be."

Another critique I have of this movie, although it is probably for the general good, because it would cause all sorts of hell if it DID tell the truth, is that there is a blatant lie in it. They claim that the "secret" can never be used to do harm to others. Well now, that is just logically inconsistent, isn't it now? If a force can have power to do good, it can logically do harm as well. Why would they tell people that if they have thoughts of harming others, it won't do any good? Hmmm. . . . I wonder?

The simple fact of the matter is, that's a like, it will harm others. Yet, all they'd have to mention is that like attracts like. What ever you send out, eventually return back to you.

I have watched several clips from the movie on her site, and found it rather dull, I will get around to watching it, promise. Maybe today? lol Tell you what, I'll give it a look see, always have been curious. Anyway, here's one I really do like. Take a look see at this one;

What the Bleep Do We Know

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The tumors never went away.

8. CptBork Valued Senior Member

What the Bleep markets itself as a movie about science, but it's actually made by a cult called the Ramtha School of Enlightenment. They got together a bunch of second-rate academics with far-out views on topics beyond their personal expertise, put down a few million to hire some French company for a bunch of fancy computer FX, and then did some unscrupulous editing to tweak the opinions expressed by their interviewees, as at least one physicist in the movie later complained. The Secret follows this trend of teaching baseless nonsensical crap about quantum physics, in an attempt to huck their product at the spiritually-starved masses and pitch it as being supported by modern science.

9. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

That's just a falsehood. That's one participant. Thanks for your negative and skeptical opinion.

Here's who made the film.

Lord of the Wind Films, LLC

10. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

So Sam are you saying then that the secret teaches one how to 'think like a billionaire'? Because it doesn't, its simply a visualization technique. Also you keep focusing on placebo but this film isn't focused solely on illness and health. They are saying that what you are experiencing in life is something you have attracted towards yourself. Based on this it would be easy to surmise that the West is wealthier than other nations because this is what they have asked for, believed and received, the same would go for the collective thought feeling patterns on the most unfortunate who unwittingly have thought and felt themselves into say being a Sudanese refugee in Chad or a Palestinian being evicted from a home in Sheikh Jarrah.

I think its fine if you believe the basic tenets of the Secret but then you would have to accept that this principle of attraction works for everyone ALL THE TIME AND IN EVERY INSTANCE. You cannot say oh I like the idea of the secret and focus on placebo effect, you have to take a look at the principle and how it would work in everything.

If you accept this then you would also have to accept that Palestinians do not desire the land as much as a Jew. You would have to accept that Palestinians struggle because of their own negative thinking and feelings and that in fact they are not focused enough in their resolve of goal attainment. They are not free because they don't 'think like a free people' not because they are victims of Israeli policy. In other words there are no more victims in the world AT ALL because the universe is indifferent and the secret works for everyones positive or negative feelings and thoughts regardless because the universe isn't interested in 'justice' but flowing with the thoughts and feelings of the people who generate whatever results. People born with defects where they are unable to walk? Well its only their belief that they cannot walk, if they are still in the chair its their own thinking that has created it, I mean spinal cords are only made of energy and can be reconnected through thoughts and feelings.

(I wonder when they will begin advocating limb and organ growth from the thought and feelings of those lacking.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

Just something for you to consider.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  11. Gustav Banned Banned

lucysnow to sam: "whazzup biatch! i'm baaaack!"

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

you just want a cat fight, don't you?

13. Gustav Banned Banned

imagine that
    we learn something new everyday

thanks sherlock
    you deduce well

14. Gustav Banned Banned

/surprised

of course not
    i, 1 of 1
    you, way too refined and classy to step down into the gutter

/affectionate smile

15. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I'm not saying that placebos can completely replace actual medication. I'm just saying that placebos do work on a certain percent of the population. Clearly this suggests that the mind has more control over the body than we generally think it does.

16. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

What? :bugeye:

No I am just asking you to consider my post and address it as far as what the Secret is suggesting.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  17. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

And what does that have to do with the Secret and what it proposes is possible? To tell you the truth placebos are besides the fact in this discussion since they clearly work to some degree but not enough to end our reliance on actual drugs and put the pharmaceutical companies out of business

18. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

By the way Sam did you read the link James posted? Here is an interesting quote I found:

"The deeply offensive racial overtones are hard to ignore, as are the sexist slurs — for instance, during the delivery of the above quotation, the visual is of a boardroom full of white, cigar-smoking male executives. Evidently social inequality and injustice, a lack of resources, several thousand years of patriarchy, oppression and inequality between the sexes — all the usual explanations as to why people don’t have money are incorrect. Social factors are irrelevant in a world where “You are the only one who creates your reality. It is only you; every bit of it you.”12"

It sums up my feelings about this quackery quite succinctly.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yes that is strange. Its a well known fact that the visual should be of dapper black and Asian men to match reality.

20. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

No Sam. That's not the point and you know it. The image of the men in the board room comes into play when they say that all people don't want the same things which suggests that the poor do not want wealth. I am asking you again do you accept that these principles work in all instances? If so you must also accept

"that Palestinians do not desire the land as much as a Jew. You would have to accept that Palestinians struggle because of their own negative thinking and feelings and that in fact they are not focused enough in their resolve of goal attainment. They are not free because they don't 'think like a free people' not because they are victims of Israeli policy. In other words there are no more victims in the world AT ALL because the universe is indifferent and the secret works for everyones positive or negative feelings and thoughts regardless because the universe isn't interested in 'justice' but flowing with the thoughts and feelings of the people who generate whatever results."

Is this what you now believe Sam? Its a simple question really based on your very simple principle of law of attraction.

21. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Won't address it will you Sam? Didn't think so.

22. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Great, and who pays the actual bills? Remember that old, wise-sounding lady who keeps popping in with all the answers? The message of What the Bleep is: what the bleep do we know about the universe? Nothing. But Ramtha knows everything about the universe, let her guide you through it. She has, by far, the most prominent and central role, the only other person who even comes close is the actress in the central narrative. Look at the credits to see who that old lady is: "Ramtha, as channelled by JZ Knight".

And who is JZ Knight? She was just an ordinary, average lower-class American trailer dweller, until one day she supposedly had some sort of accident and near death experience, which left her with magic superpowers to channel the 30 000 year-old spirit of an ancient Atlantean warrior, "Ramtha". More likely, given that channeling was becoming a big fad at the time, she realized that there were millions of suckers out there just waiting to be fleeced, and hopped on the bandwagon. I've seen Youtube clips of some of her earliest performances (back in the 80's I think) and they're pretty... well... embarassingly demented. My IQ would drop 10 points if I had to sit through just an hour of those sessions. Believe me, there is definitely financial gain to be made here as long as you don't end up in jail. Even if the majority don't spend all that much on her aside from the occasional book or video, it's the few whackos who throw their life savings at her hoping she can deliver happiness that really count. So yeah, you're welcome for the negativity. I figure when someone goes out there and cons people while simultaneously duping them about science and spirituality in one stroke, they deserve a little negative feedback every now and then.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Sounds like another version of The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale.