The Secret [movie]

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by S.A.M., Jul 19, 2009.

1. CptBork Valued Senior Member

And? You're just dropping names, why should I go sort through all their writings to find stuff? Present a claim and we can discuss it, I'm not looking to dig through their lives' work and end their careers.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

That's like a woman who never gains weight and has no problem losing weight saying 'I'm going to go on that diet and see if i can lose weight. I know how to do this already but i am going to do it 'consciously' now'. Whether she loses or is irrelevant in proving if whether the diet works or not. You would have to get someone who has five or ten pounds to lose and has always had a difficult time achieving their results. You know, like in that show the biggest loser.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CptBork Valued Senior Member

No, just no statistically observable god.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why? You don't think it is possible to test the conscious effects of something if you already do it subconsciously?

8. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

Good for you. Remember, all human emotion stems from essentially just two. We do things out of either love, or fear.

The attacks to this new idea? They are rooted from fear. . . uncertainty. To have one's previously understood world not be what they thought it was, can be a frightening thing. . .

Any example you can think of, any emotion, it all boils down to either love, or fear. The whole universe works on those principles. Growth, or decay. Expansion, or contraction. Think of your breathing as a metaphor.

Lucy is wrong. Meditation as a technique is very compatible with aligning oneself to the global/universal consciousness. Apparently Lucy did not view the video I posted by Dr. John Hagelin. It is a process where one releases the ego, and let's oneself and one's mind become uncluttered with unnecessary and extraneous information blocking a person from one's goal. It is the source of all genius and creative ideas.

9. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

No I do not think it shows the efficacy of their theory. What you need is someone who has below par income, someone who has many things lacking in their life, someone who doesn't know how to achieve their aims and then try it out and see if it works.

10. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Eso I was a student of Vedanta at Shivananda I don't need you to teach me about meditation thank you very much.

11. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

. . . sigh. . . Ms. snow, I am just stating my understanding from what I have seen and read, ok? Why do you need to be so combative? O.k., so you don't seem to be able to see the connection to apply the rigidly learned methods that you learned. I can't help your lack of vision and creativity. Not my problem. Other experts from different schools do.

Your welcome Ms. Snow.

12. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

What I don't see are the claims of law of attraction as outlined in The Secret film having anything to do with the rigors of meditation as a discipline. Meditation is not about 'goal fulfillment'. Its not about getting brand new red bikes nor thinking your tumor away.

13. Gustav Banned Banned

what?
    my comment was directed towards the observation that those certain that god would intercede on their behalf got worse rather than better

14. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

Information you require, a starting point at the very least, will be found in links in gustav's post.

15. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

I have had Gustav aka Spookz on ignore for at least five years now.

16. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but the number who got worse wasn't so much larger that it couldn't be explained as a random statistical blip. If there was no god and prayer/knowledge of being prayed for made no difference to the result, you could still split the patients into 3 groups at random and get the results they got in this study. So I guess this means if the results were reversed in favour of prayer, you would have been pronouncing it as proof of god?

17. CptBork Valued Senior Member

I'm listening to Hagelin right now from the first link you gave to him (Hagelin on Tucsontalk radio show). When it comes to physics he's not saying anything I haven't heard before, and there are major flaws with a lot of it. He's making unfounded assertions that the Unified Field is a conscious entity when in fact it's a mindless mathematical construct used for calculations. Also saying a lot of things about quantum entanglement that violate the principles of quantum mechanics.

18. Gustav Banned Banned

sam
    my princess
    a present.....

a history of this inteccessory shit

some of the referenced papers......

Positive Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer in a Coronary Care Unit Population.pdf

A Randomized, Controlled Trial of the Effects of Remote, Intercessory Prayer on Outcomes in Patients Admitted to the Coronary Care Unit .pdf

A Longitudinal Study of Religiosity and Mortality Risk .pdf

all indicate a positive correlation

Overall, the data from this study with these particular subjects suffering from end-stage renal disease did not support the efficacy of intercessory prayer or transpersonal positive visualization as a treatment intervention. We did find some tentative support for the effect of patient expectancy and prayer. Specifically, subjects who expected to receive intercessory prayer (regardless of what they actually received) reported feeling significantly better than did subjects who expected to receive positive visualization (link)

expectancy, delusionary or otherwise, appears to work

19. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

That's beyond me, I can't imagine being so closed minded to someone. How could you let someone defeat you? Why surrender, isn't it easier to make friends?

It was as I was telling S.A.M. earlier. All human emotion boils down to just two. Love, and Fear. You sure didn't put him on ignore out of love. . . .

20. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

Sure, you know more about quantum physics than someone who worked at CERN. Yeah, ok. Whatever.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Gustav Banned Banned

my dear captain
    have you accepted jesus as your lord and savior?

/eager

22. Gustav Banned Banned

ja
    i am the nicest mofo in the whole of sci and...................beyond

/hurt

23. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well for most of the years I have posted here Gustav has been the only person whom I have ever had on ignore and keep on ignore. He's is not my friend and I think him a fly. Put him on ignore out of 'love'? Love and fear? This is an internet board Eso, I am not going to give you the long history of why I ignore him nor does it really matter, it certainly shouldn't matter to you. What I do know is that I'm not missing much.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009