the sea and her secrets

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by BLASTOFF, Jan 30, 2002.

1. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

Does anyone dive, and if so please tell what it is like, i have deen snorkeling, but that is not the same, we dont have many training schools in this country, and even if we did what could we see in our sea,only mud and what ever, i would love to dive, just to see the sights, and to feel freedom as i have been told you feel, to see some of the seas secrets.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. flamethrower Junior Registered Senior Member

I am a fully qualified PADI trained diver. If you love the water and don't mind getting wet and sometimes quite cold, you'll love diving. There is a world underneath the waves that is as awe-inspiring as it is dangerous. It is difficult to describe in words. You just have to see it to believe it.

Try and get to the Mediterranean and take a course there. The water is quite buoyant and is clear in most parts near Greece and Italy. The Cyclades are good but there is a lot of tourism to deal with. If you can travel further, the reefs in the South Pacific offer some of the best spots in the world. The Great Barrier Reef is one of the greatest. However, you might want to hurry, much of the seafloor in those areas are being destroyed. The El Nino/Nina we experienced the last few years have devastated much of the shallow, sensitive areas of these reefs. It may take decades to recover if they recover at all. In the span of a few months, the reefs went from teaming colorful worlds of constant movement to motionless pale white graveyards. Very sad indeed.

The west coast of Canada offers great underwater sights but the water is usually quite cold. A wet or dry suit is required. Owning your own boat is a tremendous advantage.

The best spots usually have the best training courses. Train with PADI approved instructors! That is a must!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

I'm kind of in the middle in that I've only ever had one expereince of diving while on holiday in Greece. Flamethrower is so right. It's like a new world. The first thing was the fight in my brain where one half said you're under water hold your breath, and the other saying you've got an air tank you tit!

It was at this time I also discovered an inner ear problem so I couldn't equalise the pressure too well which meant I couldn't dive too deep.
    Hope you don't have the same problem. it's a beautiful world down there. enjoy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

BLASTOFF ...

If you can, dive Belize ... fantastic!

And, there's a hyperbaric chamber in
    the area if you do a real stupid.

Enjoy

8. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

NAUI-open water here.

9. spacecat27 Registered Member

Diving for Fun VS Diving for Work.....

I guess to you guys, I'd be considered a "Moss Back", having started diving in 1966. I was involved in several underwater living projects and various other aspects of ocean science and technology through the years- and if I'd been able to keep an accurate log, I can't imagine how many thousands of hours of underwater time I've accumulated.

It seems when I visit northern relatives or end up at any sort of 'coctail party' that is mostly non-divers- I usually end up explaining the difference between diving as a tourist and diving as a worker. Most obvious of course- is that "work" diving often puts you in places and situations where you'd rather not be- like in a cold, dirty harbor where you cannot see your hand in front of your face! Another observatrion I've made through the years.... when you're diving for fun you're always aware that you are the intruder- and you'll have a tendency to look over your shoulder every now and then like 'maybe there's a shark....' When you're doing it for a living your attitude changes to- 'ok, let's get through the sharks because no shark is going to keep me from getting a paycheck this week!'

10. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

spacecat27 ...

"'work' diving often puts you in places and situations where you'd
    rather not be- like in a cold, dirty harbor where you cannot see your
    hand in front of your face!"

Sounds like beautiful Naples harbour back in '52 when cutting away a
    wire hawser that had gotten wrapped around the port propeller shaft.

Thanks for triggering the memory ... I think.

Take care, and welcome to Sciforums

Last edited: Mar 23, 2002
  11. spacecat27 Registered Member

geez, Chagur-

You really ARE a moss-back! In '52 I was still getting out of diapers. Trust you were there courtesy of Uncle Sam.... you'll not be surprised to know the U.S. Navy Dive Manual is still THE bible for underwater work- I quoted from it often when teaching diver communications in a special program for scientists and engineers. Even with all of today's high-tech SSB acoustic wireless gear- when all else fails, tugs on a rope still work!

(I was afraid I was the oldest guy here!

)