The Round Table

Discussion in 'History' started by caffeine_fubar, Apr 12, 2004.

1. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

They use crossbows? Are they imported from China???
    Sheesh. One of these days I want to make a really accurate historical film with as near dammit accurate fighting. But it would be messy, and somewhat expensive.
    And judging by the film posters I've seen, theres far too much metal armour worn by people. ah well. AS long as nobody takes it seriously......

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Rosa:
    Self righteous, vindictive patrotism.

I really liked this:
    Pretty.

And aren't stories warmer and morals easier to swallow when presented as pearls?
    I know.
    And you'd be a thousand times paler than you are now from no sun.

And speaking of calculated frumpery- saw the movie and it amazes me how out in the middle of the British woods, in the filth and running with Sarmatian barbarians, Guenevre was able to mainain the opal eyeshadow and hydrated skin of a runaway model.
    Her hair, as conditioned as Jesus's hair always is in his movies.
    Her eyebrows would put a metrosexual to shame.
    And must I tell you how ridiculous the little girl looked with her sword?

Funny too that battles are shown fought on horseback, as the battles of Romans are erroneously depicted on chariots when it seems all the battles between Brits, Saxon, Normans were fought on foot with shields and armor.
    Too, there are the war decorations to consider.
    Is that glamorized or true?
    The pretty blue markings the Britons are seen wearing?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fenris Wolf Banned Banned

True - As far as I'm aware they did use blue for those. I remember reading a lot about it but the details escape me - I may have to revisit. I have yet to see the movie though - I'd have to drive for an hour and a half to get to the nearest cinema. Heh.

This is probably my favourite Arthurian fiction (by Bernard Cornwell).
    http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index2.cfm?page=1&SeriesId=4

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Wolf:
    But, godamnit, they've got these worriers looking like Barbies, not barbarians.
    A neat smudge of blue here, a small clump of mud there, and semi-ornate drawings of curls and swirls all around the face as if it were Vegas.

NICE!
    And he once belonging to a cult called "The Peculiar People" makes Cornwell and whatever he may write a promise in intrigue.
    Is he witty?
    Terribly learned?
    I'm sure he's not stuffy, but I wonder if he comes of as enganging with his mania as Graves does. People like these are the only reasons I find historical fiction tolerable.
    Terry Jones, former member of the Python cast, is another character that makes history alive to me.
    Make me want him, Wolf. I'm up for another visit to the library. Sell him to me.

8. Fenris Wolf Banned Banned

I checked - The blue markings were probably not tattoos, but a frozen corpse has revealed that it was a dye. They have found very little evidence of tatooing on bodies found. Other than that corpse, most of our knowledge of it has been from the writings of historians, and not contemporary ones.

Actually, I don't know much about Cornwell himself - I'd read a couple of his other things when younger and he didn't really stand out for me until this series.
    But as to this - The things is, I didn't even like his characters. Arthur is a man capable of so much held back by his own self doubt and his loathing of his own people's lack of vision. The christian monks were evil men, the christian Britons weak, and Merlin the druid only half believeing in his own gods. But ah, the young druidess... Damn me, I've forgotten her name... she stands out like a beacon. Savage, total belief in herself and her gods, and fighting a war almost on her own. And the battle scenes, the shield walls, were rather good I thought. It's been a while since I read them though - perhaps my opinion would change on a revisit.

Historically, it's probably the closest depiction of the times I've seen - Briton fighting Briton, the saxon incursion, and... I got an overall feeling that the Britons doomed themselves from the beginning, with only the odd shining light saving them for a few years more.

Must go - work calls.

9. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

In that case, I will have to make do without him for a while.
    Where fiction goes, only the saucy will do.

It is odd how the male author is usually found embracing absolutes in the female. Your druidess is Scott's Jewess, Rebecca. Here she chides de Bois-Guilbert for his false pride in being a Templar Knight:

"Unahppy man......and are you condemned to expose your life for principles of which your sober judgement does not acknowledge the solitidity? Surely that is a parting with your treasure for that which is not bread. But deem not so of me. Your resolution may fluctuate on the wild and changeful billows of human opinion; but mine is anchored on the Rock of Ages."

10. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Gendanken is reading walter scott?? wow. Congratulations.