The Romney File

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tiassa, Aug 4, 2011.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

If Romney is elected, will the rank and file Tea Partiers, limbaugh and company allow Romney to swing moderate? Will inter-party warfare breakout amongst Republicans? Will Romney become a moderate without a party - one of those RINO's Republicans/Tea Partiers like to blame for their mistakes? How effective can Romney be as president if he cannot even manage to control his party (e.g. Speaker Boehner). Romney cannot solve the nation's ills governing from an extreme right position as mandated by the Tea Party folk (e.g. recent debt ceiling debate). And he knows it. I think anyone with a modest grasp of the issues knows it too. Unfortunately for Romney, 75 percent of his party doesn't have that understanding. And it appears Romney has little ability if any to educate and lead his party. Up until now, he as been trying to wear two hats - his moderate educated smart hat and the emotional irrational Tea Bagger hat. In the end he just winds up looking stupid.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

Regarding Romney's rich guy image problem, right after making his "I'm not concerned about the poor" comment, he appeared on stage with none other than Donald Trump. You're fired!

Trump - birther conspiracy theorist [aka, nut], uber rich, and known best for firing people.

I think it was Mark Shields who said Romney was born not with a silver spoon in his mouth, but silver earplugs in his ears. He is deaf. In my view, we are just seeing the real man.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

- Donald Trump

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/02/06/trump-i-will-accept-credit-for-romneys-nevada-caucus-win/
    I'd bet that's a future commercial for Obama targeting Independents.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

Piers Morgan: What do you like about Romney?

Jon Voight: I'm excited about supporting Romney because he's a real American

As opposed to what, imaginary Americans? Is he a birther nut? I am sooooooo sick of hearing that meaningless answer. It makes me think, "Ah, so you support Romney because you're an idiot!"

8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well it looks like Romney won the Maine Caucus today with a little over 2,100 votes. In a state with a population of over 1.3 million people, only 5 thousand people showed up to vote in the Maine Republican caucus - a pretty pathetic turnout.

9. Balerion Banned Banned

Romney seems the least-frightening of the Republican candidates, from what I can tell.

10. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

A liberal, a conservative and a Mormon walk into a bar. The bartender says, "Hey Mitt!":roflmao:

11. Chipz Banned Banned

Look! Three nuts in a row!

I'm relieved that JDawg can tell, it will help me rest assured this election.

In what context?

Yes, damn American colloquialisms! What exactly does "American dream" even mean?

12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

That was good. Romney is a smart enough and educated guy. But I don't think he will be able to lead the whacko majority of his party to effect rational and smart public policy. So it matters little if Romney is smart. Romney is just not a good leader. Thus he will not be able to do the smart things like raise taxes on the wealthy or raise any tax. He has zero ability to deal with Norquist and his tax pledges among other things.

Assuming he should become the POTUS, he will be no better equipped to lead the Tea Bag elements in his party than House Speaker Boehner. And we have seen how well Boehner was able to lead his Republican House last year - not well to say the least. It was more like Boehner following the Tea Bag leader, Eric Cantor.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  13. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Maybe because the presidential preference poll does not matter as it has no bearing on the allocation of Maine’s 24 delegates to the GOP convention in Miami.

That won't be determined until the state convention, to be held this May.

14. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/...-for-managed-bankruptcy-of-the-auto-industry/

I enjoy watching him justify his comments as the Michigan primary nears.

15. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

More like the caucus was fixed:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g3ivrynAFP0

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Me too. But virtually every Republican running for office has the same problem if Republican voters are paying attention. Virtually all Republicans (especially the Tea Bagger elements in the party) were all against supporting the auto industry during a time of economic crisis when normal sources of business funding had ceased to function.

17. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

18. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

Did you watch the video? I am more curious about votes thrown out. In that video there is a lot more than Washington County. Like for example one caucus chairman reported the results, and the party put 0s. Waldo County?

19. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

A tempest in a teapot

I watched it for a while, noted some clear false/misleading statements and then quit.

I've gone back and watched the whole thing and nothing in it is compelling, indeed nothing said against the offical vote was corroborated.

So, do you have some ACTUAL data to support your assertions?

http://www.pressherald.com/news/some-in-gop-want-recount-in-maine-caucuses_2012-02-15.html

20. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

Well lets see how it comes out then once they correct everything.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Am I the only one who doesn't think it was bad for Romney to transport his dog on the roof of his car?

22. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

Are you an animal lover? I can see a technical argument for doing what he did, but when push comes to shove, I would never do it. I suspect most people who have pets would feel the same way. It certainly reinforces the perception that he's a cold-hearted.

Romney sure doesn't help himself. "My wife drives a Cadillac; in fact she drives two of them". "In Michigan, the trees are just the right height"???

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But with Santorum self-destructing, Romney should do well from here on.

23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The Unspoken, Spoken

The Unspoken, Spoken

Perhaps it's unfair to let Steve Benen frame the quote; still:

It was such a simple question: is there a concern Romney is being pushed so far to the right that he'll struggle with mainstream voters in the fall? The smart response would have been, "Romney is a mainstream conservative, and there's nothing extreme about his vision for America."

Instead Fehrnstrom said, "Well, I think you hit a reset button for the fall campaign. Everything changes. It's almost like an Etch A Sketch. You can kind of shake it up and restart all of over again."

And, of course, the punditry is amok with it; Santorum and Gingrich are actually carrying Etch-a-Sketch toys onstage with them; we're all supposed to be horribly shocked.

But ... what is supposed to shock us so horribly?

Why are we supposed to be so horribly shocked?

First, the obvious: Nobody is really shocked. Not actually, genuinely shocked. To be specific, we all know this is how primary politics work. We also all know that the danger is running so hard for the base that one hurts his chances in the general.

Second, well, the thing is that nobody is supposed to actually come out and say it. As long as everyone just says nothing—a nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat, after all—the charade goes on.

As soon as somebody comes out and says it, though, what is anybody else supposed to say?

So the talking heads are saying everything they can think of, in real time, as it comes to mind.

Getting lost in that noise and fury may well be the unfortunate fate of those two points. Mitt Romney is in trouble according to both. Fehrnstrom's astoundingly ironic metaphor is the kind of thing that sticks in people's minds because they already think of Mitt Romney as sort of mechanical; his metaphysical contours as a political candidate are a bit blocky. Indeed, he apparently does have some sort of connection to the actual Etch-a-Sketch toys, though it might be a more recent Bain thing. But not only did Romney's communications director come out and say it, Romney is also pushing the boundaries of running so far to the conservative as to expose himself to all sorts of damage in the general.

Underpinning the whole Sketchy Mitt bit is the idea that, well, he's kind of sketchy. Maddow tore into Romney's almost unbelievable penchant for phantom facts on her show tonight, quite obviously fueled by TRMS producer Benen's weekly blog series, "Chronicling Mitt's Mendacity".

As I listened through Rachel's litany, I found myself sympathetic not just to the political line. MSNBC is going to bang this drum all the way to November, but it's hardly a Maddow/Benen/O'Donnell conspiracy. Even Democratic supporters who eyed Romney's political fluency with chilly hints of alarm find themselves astounded at how badly the former Massachusetts governor has handled himself through this primary campaign. But in addition to picking up the obvious theme that it's hard to believe the magnitude of Romney's rhetorical wreckage. "He's bending the curve," Maddow suggests. And he seems to spin yarns about the most trivial stuff. I know that habit. I've seen that habit. I've lamented that behavior in a friend before; it's one thing to acknowledge that people lie, but she lied about absolutely inconsequential stuff. It is incredibly frustrating, as if one is trying to pick a fight by seeing just what manner of excrement will start the avalanche. And except for the fact that it is happening, one would have a hard time believing such a caricature in speculation or prediction.

The fact of "Mitt's mendacity" is nothing new in and of itself; politicians have been greasing the skids with bullhunky from the dawn of politics. In the context of American electoral politics, though, the magnitude of Romney's manure factor, and the sheer senselessness of his sleights, are extraordinary.

Notes:

Benen, Steve. "A line that will be tough to live down". The Maddow Blog. March 21, 2012. MaddowBlog.MSNBC.MSN.com. March 21, 2012. http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/21/10796763-a-line-that-will-be-tough-to-live-down

—————. "Chronicling Mitt's Mendacity, Vol. X". The Maddow Blog. March 16, 2012. MSNBC.MSN.com. March 21, 2012. http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/16/10720707-chronicling-mitts-mendacity-vol-x

Maddow, Rachel. The Rachel Maddow Show. MSNBC, New York. March 21, 2012. MSNBC.MSN.com. March 21, 2012. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#46816690