The Role of Pleasure in Human Society

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by TruthSeeker, Apr 28, 2008.

1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I was listening to Respighi the other day, his piece the Pines of Rome (which ironically do remind me of the pines in Rome! LOL!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) and I was thinking "why does this music release so much serotonin?".

Well, then it dawned to me that the structure that it follows is what creates the elevation of serotonin, among with other pleasurable hormones. That structure is very common accross human cultures throughout the planet, and it is not confined to music - it's in movies, books, business and even sex!

So what is the structure? Well, I don't know if there's a name to it, but the "magical" part of it is commonly called the "climax".

The structure varies but it usually starts as normal or balanced and then it lowers, becomes more calm, but then it rapidly and suddenly increases until it reaches a climax, after which it dies down. The part that is common in all aspects of the human society is the last part.

It's funny how this is true to every culture and every art (aside from photography and painting!?). In books and movies the story begins with a problem, then it gets to be worked on until it reaches a climax and a resolution. In music it starts slower and lower and it climaxes in faster and louder. In business, we use the climax in marketing, to persuade prospects to purchase from us. In sex... well, sex is pretty obvious... LOL! All the foreplay and then it slows down a little bit and then it goes faster and... stronger... until the climax...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(Incidentally, if you DON'T slow down, try it out. It does wonders! LOL!!)

I believe the "magic" happens because of a large discrepancy between the part where you are very low and then it jumps right to the climax. Of course, the "foreplay" way before the climax is what really makes the "magic" work....

Still, I wonder what is the connnection between that and our hormones...

Sorry about my own metaphorical language here... I don't really know any words that actually describe what I'm trying to say.