The Race thread. How many races are there REALLY? Does race even exist?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by TimeTraveler, Aug 14, 2006.

1. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

It's not bullshit. If you share genes, it means you share genetics. If you share DNA it means you share DNA. That's the science kid. I know you want to believe your religion, but what I posted was scientific fact, and yes we might share genes with other lifeforms, we are all connected, and if you can't figure out how the web of life works or the eco-system works then you need to update your religion to adapt it to the science, not adapt your science to the religion.

I'm a spiritual person, I know how you feel, I lean towards there being a God. I believe there are laws in the universe, I believe in a lot of stuff, but if you look at my arguements on this site, I never actually deny science as being the proving grounds. Science is what decides what being human is, not race. Economics is what decides who is human and who isnt, not race. The only thing race decides is how a person looks, and how they might do on a job interview.

If you want to protect your religion so badly, please tell me and everyone else here why race as a concept is so important to you? Do you love your race? Is it pride? What exactly do you feel about this?

This is your chance to vent and tell me what you feel, no scientific fact, no jargon, how do you feel?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

1. Egyptians were not racist, as Cleopatra and other Egyptian rulers were white. Egypt, like Rome, was based on culture, and if you were born in Egypt, and have a link to Egyptian bloodline, you were Egyptian, and there were white Egyptians. Race means it does not matter who your parents were, bloodlines mean they simply trace back and you had an Egyptian family member, and speak the language.

1.5 There is no proof that neanderthal was completely wiped out, I believe we mated with neanderthal and that the genes live on today. Bone evidence is not proof.

2. Most white people have the same set of genes as black people, including the gene to activate dark skin, as dark skin and white skin are simply genetic mutations which most of us carry, along with all the others such as straight or curly hair, tall or short, different eye or hair colors. The majority of us have a variety of different genes for hair, eye, skin color, facial types, etc. So the majority of appearance genes are changeable simply because we all have these genes, which makes the concept of appearance based race a bit silly since we all carry a variety of appearances if not all of the main appearances.

3. The bell curve? Show us a picture or a URL of the bell curve. As far as the stuff about race, there are more than 3 races. Korean is one of the many Asian races. A Korean is not an "Asian", a Korean is a Korean, a Japanese is a Japanese, a Chinese is a Chinese, an Italian is an Italian, and there are Korean genes in Italian people, and Italian genes in Korean people. Accept it, it's true.

Genes are real, and while you can ignore the research, and try to spin it one way or the other, the fact is, there are definately more than 3 races. Nothing you have said proved that the standard "Asian, White, Black" are actually real. Yes there are genetic groupings, no one has denied this, what people ae denying is that genetic groups all look alike.

The truth is, appearance has nothing to do with the majority of your genes as appearance types, just like body types, are in all of our genepools. You have a fat person in your family just like everyone else. You have a tall person in your family just like everyone else. If you go back far enough you might have Egyptians in yuor family, you might have Romans in your family, Jews in your family, go back futher and you might have Asians and Blacks in your family, go back further and you might be related to Neanderthal. The genetic code records ALL mating practices from the beginning of the human species onward.

You might not like the look of the mutated appearances of Blacks, or Asians, but this does not change the fact that they are you, simply with a mutated appearance, and that you might even have the mutated genes in your gene pool. Most of us arent pure, if you have one dark haired brown eyed person in your family, you are likely genetically linked to the Black and Asian tribes that carried that gene. In America, everyone has everyone elses genes, if you have any native American genes you are linked to Asia. Do you see?

Just like the web of life works, for food, the web of life works for mating. You don't know every person your ancestor mated with, just like I don't know, and no one else here knows, but if we all share the same few ancestors, it should tell you that somewhere down the line we all we either one race, or we had race mixing from the very beginning. I personally believe we all were originally the same race, and split up and mutated a bit, and when we come together that seems to be the time where we have our greatest civilizations.

Look at Rome, look at Egypt, these were two dynastys built on inter-breeding and racial mixing.

Because Rome accepted everyone into it, from Jews like Jesus Christ, to Egyptian Blacks, theres a good chance that there was a lot of mixing going on.

The Romans and the Egyptians seemed to have no concept of race. If there was a war and you were taken prisoner, you became a slave, and it didnt matter what you looked like. If you did not worship their God they'd kill you, even if you were Jesus Christ. That was Rome.

I know people here want to protect the concept of race. So I'm asking you, Swivel, how exactly do you feel about race? Why do you care about this concept so much that you'll spend so much energy trying to protect it from the science? Can you see that what you are doing is very much the same thing that believers of God do with intelligent design?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

I am not even remotely spiritual, and calling me kid is just lame macho posturing. If you want to look credible, put your cock away. I don't know how you got the idea that I am some sort of religious nut, but please stop making such assumptions.

I believe strongly that indigenous populations should not be fucked with by any other means than through open conquest. Being so stupid as to say "come to our country and fuck our women" to the point where you're being outbred and in danger of being outnumbered in a country where your people are indigenous (I am not talking about the USA, leave that out of this if you're going to respond) is a surefire way to undo 10,000 years plus of adaptation. That is my angle. I also believe that certain races do share certain characteristics. You stated yourself that race makes people look different. Why might that be? Answer that question and it will lead you on to a much deeper understanding of race. Basically, you have already admitted that different races have different characteristics (appearance) so good. That's a start.

What is a generalisation? It's something that, while not true in all cases, is generally true. Basically I am simply against PC brainwashing and when you PC types start twisting scientific jargon to try to push your agenda on the rest of us, it makes me sick.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. D'ster Registered Senior Member

Only a true racist would want to deny that there is race.

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

really? females are variations aren't they? my son is a variation. does that mean he is a different race?
    identical twins are variable from each other. according to your reasoning they are two races.

let me guess, you are another person that can't admit to having 'black' in their genes.

9. D'ster Registered Senior Member

As humans have evolved we carry some genes from our black ancestors.

10. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

It's not that I'm being PC. I just do see the world in a racial context. You see the world in the "Us vs Them" context, but from my point of view, all of Americans are the same. America has been in this racially mixed state for hundreds of years, as part of a big experiment, and for the most part it was very successful.

Who is "our" women? We do not own women anymore. Women are currently fighting to be liberated so they can fuck whoever they want. I'm not saying we should invite any more immigrants into this country. I'm not endorsing increased immigration at this time, in fact I think increased immigration is irrational and stupid at a time like this. When racial tensions are high, and when security is at stake, I'm all for reducing immigration. What of the people who are already here and who have been here for hundreds of years? According to you, people who's ancestors faught in all of the wars, and who were involved in the building of America, still arent American enough?

Yes I do think there are different appearances. I never denied the fact that there are 3 root appearances. What I denied is that these 3 root appearances make up the races.

Anyway, tell me, why do you want to protect 10,000 years of genetic adaptation? Why do you value it? You did say you agree with the conquering of other populations. Does race exist simply as an organizing tool for the conquering of populations?

I need you to explain the emotion you feel towards race. I'm not going to be able to understand your arguements unless I understand how you feel. Do you love your race, yes or no?

11. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Race, as a word was selected deliberately, because of the frame. When you think of a race, you think of a race track, you think of a sporting event in which there must be an ultimate winner. The word itself, programs the mind to seek the ultimate conclusion that only one race can dominate the earth. It's a word which in itself a dividing force.

A racist is someone who thinks in the racialized world view. If you are a free thinker, then you don't have to believe in race. To say only a true racist would deny that there is race is one of those illogical statements that I cannot make sense of, did you pull this out of your hat? Are you going to pull the white rabbit out next? I know these tricks.

12. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

I believe anything other than "please come to our country and fuck our women" coming out of an american's mouth is hypocrisy, unless you take back that "huddled masses" crap. When the self-proclaimed immigrant nation decides that there are such things as "illegal immigrants" I also believe that to be hypocrisy....but as the rest of the world realised long ago, america and hypocrisy go hand in hand most of the time.

I agree with only conquest as a form of wiping out other races because that is simply the purest form of "Survival of the fittest" working as intended. You could argue that being stupid enough to invite other races to your homeland, where they underhandedly dilute your race and outbreed you to the point where your people are subverted, that's the same thing, but it's far too complicated.

Whether you like it or not, TimeTraveler, it really is "us vs. them", with every species of every life form on this planet. People too often forget that we are simply animals and must live by the rules of nature just as everything else on this planet does.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  13. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Well, I guess that sums up your belief system. This is what you believe so I'm not going to debate it anymore. The only questions are, if humans prey on themselves, when does it end(we already are the fittest)? and what about the aliens?

14. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Which aliens do you mean?

It will never end. We will always fight. No one is ever satisfied. Someone always wants more. Human nature.

15. D'ster Registered Senior Member

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

If by race you mean gene pool, and apparently you do, then according to the accepted definitions of anthropology, there were once three and only three races. The caucasoid, negroid, and mongoloid. Homo sapiens split into those populations (the word we would use if we were discussing absolutely any other species) something like ten thousand years after we crossed out of Africa and the human diaspora began. Like any species, during climatological periods when their ranges overlapped the populations continued to crossbreed at the overlapping points, but both prehistorical evidence (DNA) and historical evidence indicate that the populations evolved more or less separately and retained distinctive common characteristics for millennia. Nonetheless as technology and social structure advanced and people--both individuals and entire tribes--gained the ability to travel longer distances without being thwarted by each other's enmity, this isolation began to break down massively. It is assumed that traders of exotic goods from relatively distant lands were welcome in Neolithic villages and like today's "traveling salesmen" they left their DNA everywhere they went. By the time civilization was in full swing the three-race paradigm was irreparably broken at the genetic level, even if superficial physical traits like hair color proved more durable. (Skin color is quite ephemeral and its adaptation to solar intensity is measured in mere centuries.) Today it's ludicrous to talk about "races" if we mean DNA. There are certainly some populations in the Amazon basin whose pedigrees have remained relatively undisturbed, but they're small enough to be called "tribes."

If by race we mean "ethnic group" then there's no easy answer because there are no standard definitions. Non-scientific language evolves by consensus. The Jews have been called a race by governments, scholars, journalists, and common folk for so long that some dictionaries probably list them as an example under the definition of the word. Yet the Sephardic and Ashkenazic populations appear to be related only distantly by DNA.

17. D'ster Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

The aliens in space of course. There are other lifeforms in the universe.

Thats because you come from the warrior tribe, it's your nature.

19. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

There was an excellent post earlier in another thread, giving a link to a reference to the skull shapes of the three main races ("negroid", "caucasoid", "mongoloid"), which are anatomically different and readily discernible by most forensic pathologists.

Since they all represent a single species, I'm not certain how mating between the races has 'blurred' those three main shapes. Additionally, there are other distinguishing characteristics for all of the many sub-races, and it is folly to pretend they aren't there. The fact that they are irrelevant to social relationships should be self-evident, and was codified in the U.S. with the words that "all men are created equal" (implying that all women are created equal as well). That did not mean that all people are identical.

20. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure if it works like that. Skull shapes are eugenics not race because you are still relying on appearance. So what you are saying is there are 3 main appearances, but thats not exactly true. You have the tall giants, where did they come from? And you have midgets. Both have different skull shapes and sizes than the majority of people.

I'm saying Shaq and Yao Ming have more in common genetically than two white guys at the office. Skull shape only measures common appearances, so from skull shape you don't really get race by the genetic level which I asked about. A good example are hispanics, white hispanics look white, if you look at the skull of a white hispanic you cannot tell that they are half black or half native.

21. D'ster Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

D'ster: Not the post I had referenced, but thanks for your insightful view. It certainly does stereotype views on racial differences held by some people. Including yourself?

Also, I disagree with Time Traveler. I suspect that two Hawaiian guys will have far more common of a genetic relationship than "Shaq" and "Yao Ming". Same is true for two Maori gals, or two "white" guys, etc. By the way, "whites" are usually called "haole" around here (Hawaii).

23. D'ster Registered Senior Member