The quality of BR movies

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Syzygys, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

So today finally we got the first BR disc from Netflix to try out in the BR player. Honestly I was quite statisfied with both DVD movie qualities and the HD movies coming from online. I was really curious if I could see anything different/improvement when watching a BR movie.

Well, I can't really report anything super-duper. At first look it looks exactly the same. Nice sharp picture, but nothing special compared to HD streamlined or normal DVD movies. Maybe I am missing something or else, but I am not getting what the hoopla was about.

So what am I supposed to see and really, just how big of a difference exists there in viewing pleasure between these formats? I know about the numbers, but if my eyes can't tell the difference than I am not much better off with a more expensive or fancier player...

By the way the TV is HD the cabel is HDMI, so I should be able to see the best quality possible...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I thought BR was just a way to store more data on a disc? If the movies are the same size then I wouldn't imagine it'd matter one bit if the movie came from a BR disc or a HD disc or a DVD disc or directly from the Internet?

I've watched BR quality from a download and it was good. But, it wasn't from a disc it was just a 4 gig movie file from the internet.

I wouldn't mind backing up some stuff on a BR disc if the burner and the discs were cheap (I mean 50 gig discs would be nice) but other than that I only watch downloads anyway.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

BR movies have a far superior audio and video output when they are done well.

Like any technology, someone can half ass it. But BR has been excellent releases by far.

The average BR movie is about 30 gigs worth of data, often more. Even a DVD9(dual layer) retail DVD(most are) is around 6 or 7 gigs of data on average. An 'HD TV' is nice, but they are not all the same. A 1080p Samsung lcd is very different than an 'HD TV with an HDMI cable' from many other manufacturers. A 'sound system' is nice, but it may not be a setup that can really put the incredible BR audio into the ears of the listener.

My point is... if you can't tell the difference that doesn't mean the difference isn't there, it mean you may not have the right equipment or powers of observation to see it.

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

9 gig, wow that's a lot of info.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

The only thing I can think of making a difference is that the HD TV is 1080i instead of p.
    But again, the HD from cabel is gorgeous itself (also from the net too), so I just can't imagine how it could be even better with BR, although may be it shouldn't. And the DVDs are just fine too.

With Netflix I can choose between streamlining a movie in HD (not all movies) or getting one on DVD/BR disc. Since I don't see any difference, I guess I save myself the waiting time.

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I guess I have found my answer here:

http://news.cnet.com/is-dvd-movie-pricing-holding-blu-ray-back/

The opinion of the majority is that there is very little difference between an upconverted DVD and BR, and mostly can be noticed on 50" HD TVs or bigger. Ours is 42" so I guess the advantage is lost on me.

The biggest improvement in this whole HD experience was when I finally started to use the HDMI cable.

Just found another comparison among 5 systems:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ar...tv-20-vs-blu-ray-dvd-hd-cable-the-comparison/

....and the expert's opinion:

"It’s also worth noting that the Blu-Ray Disc’s biggest video and audio advantages are real, but will be lost on many HDTV users. Since the majority of HDTVs sold before 2007 were not capable of displaying true 1080p output—most were capped at 720p or 1080i—the superior video quality of the Blu-Ray versions of movies won’t be noticeable on such sets, "

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  11. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

As I said above.

12. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

Here's a recent example of DVD9 vs Blu Ray quality difference.

DVDBeaver is an excellent site, they get into the technical aspects of it. They show the data stream rates in this example for instance, as well as screen caps.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. John99 Banned Banned

That is a good link. I think that in this instance BR can jus as easily mean Bit Rate....and in the instance it is king('cause bit rate dont lie)...along with difference between the two compression methods, Blu Ray uses bettter compression mehtod. I still wathc DVD's though, and it is also a factor of the kind of monitor you view it on. inferior monitor means just as well watch standard dvd.

14. John99 Banned Banned

However, for all intents and purposes: Film is the highest resolution, althouhg it is analog and some will see analog as inferior to digital but i dont believe this is the case. Factors such as lenses and of course the camera used and if the person using the camera got the best out of the camera- in terms of lighting specifically but then the more expensive the csmera the better the image.

15. John99 Banned Banned

That siad, i would take a softf, grainy, b&w image with a good story ove razor sharp bad story. Finally, adn in addition to that, the new technology is incredible, thoigh it shpuld be noted that film is not real life so i can allow for image that are less than realistic. Perhaps accentuating the impression that this image at full frame of 24fps is, in fact, fantasy.

16. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

I've just this month got a Bluray player and a 40" 1080p LCD. The quality is far superior to DVD.

I've only watched Terminator 4, Moon and Tropic Thunder in 1080p so far, but they were all really stunning. The detail was amazing.

17. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I have just set the TV to 1080p 24 F which I think is a fake 1080progressive.(the TV is 1080i really) I think there was a slight improvement...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.