The Purpose of the Pseudoscience sub-forum

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by SkinWalker, Feb 5, 2006.

?

What is the purpose of the Pseudoscience Forum?

Poll closed Mar 7, 2006.
  1. To discuss or expose pseudoscience as a problem for science

30.0%
  2. Anything goes; pseudoscience should be taken seriously

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Something else.

70.0%
  1. duendy Registered Senior Member

oh que of one letter what ya like

here's something you may understand

it has been proven that when people's mindset's are faced with something theywont can or deny te understanding there of, they will NOT hear what is said

but would also like to add toyour response

am i bovvered?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

You look bovvered.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. duendy Registered Senior Member

...am i bovvered tho?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

This could develop into a real tit for tate exchange, bemusing all but a select group of Brits and resident anglophiles.

8. duendy Registered Senior Member

...i know..but am i bovvered tho. face.bovered.face/bovvered....

9. RickyH Valued Senior Member

Okay, i'm praying you were being sarcastic in your grammar.

Where was this sentence even going?

10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Ricky, Duendy and I are enjoying a private moment, reprising a character from a current UK comedy show, by a talented female comedienne, Katherine Tate. (Hence my tit for tate remark earlier.) There is no reason this should make any sense to you.

11. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Hey, Ricky Houy Picture Show, don't listen to Ophiolite. He is a gentleman and a dunce, all at once.

Speak to me, Ricky Houy Picture Show.

12. Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

.. It doesn't Rick, as Ophiolite describes, the line "Am i bovvered tho!" is the signature catch phrase of a character created by comedienne Ophiolite mentions... It's just one of those things y'have to see to be able to get.

13. RickyH Valued Senior Member

I have never heard of the comedian that you are speaking of. But okay, it's an inside joke. So I'll just turn away from this one.

14. Probably wise.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It's annoying that pseudoscience threads like sightings of UFO will be moved straight to pseudoscience forum, but biology pseudoscience topics will not.

It gives a wrong signal.

16. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Okay, chattering gibbon, as soon as you finish that banana, or those nits, whichever, tell me, what's pseudoscientific about seeing an unexplained aerial phenomenon and attempting to dissect it, scientifically?

You're damn right it gives a wrong signal.
    It makes people automatically discount the validity of an area of study simply because a handful of people have labelled it hogwash or pseudoscience off the bat. Instead of actually applying the label on a case by case basis, a whole entire world of sightings gets dismissed simply by the guilt of association. "We know he did it, because he's black."

It's not unreasonable to ask people to refrain from blanket ridicule or dismissal of something because of something else that APPEARS similar but may not be.

17. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Nothing. That's called weather analysis.

18. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Typical response. And predicted beforehand.

More "proof" of my psychic abilities.

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I'm sure that a scientific discussion on the topic of 'weather analysis' will have a low likelyhood of being moved to the pseudoscience forum. I would like to see a similar approach for discussion regarding biological topics, with the sidenote that I would like that the likelyhood of pseudoscientific biological topics being moved to the pseudoscience forum is increased.

20. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Your request is not unreasonable.

That said, I was asking why the sighting of an unidentified flying object is automatically considered pseudoscience. Weather analysis and UFOs are not in any way intertwined, although they occasionally cross over each other.

If you're looking to sell a cheap weather phenomenon explanation, by all means, seek elsewhere!

21. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

The answer is because those that "examine" said "UFOs" rarely employ scientific method and scientific principles. They nearly always make unfounded assumptions, such as the phenomena "flying" or being "objects." Moreoever, they nearly always make the immediate connection between conspiracy of the government and space aliens.

However, should any reasoned discussion that follows the principles of science begin in the appropriate forum, it should remain there and continue. SETI is a discussion that belongs in the Astronomy and Cosmology forum. Questions about aerial phenomena belong in the Earth Sciences forum. "I saw a UFO" belongs in the Pseudoscience forum.

22. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Skeptics nearly always make unfounded assumptions about what UFOs are and aren't, and misleading statements about people that "examine" such reports.

Grouping everyone into a small room for a "shower" and then "gassing" them all with one-size-fits-all stereotypes is nothing new.

23. Gustav Banned Banned

perhaps skin should examine a report and show us how it is done?