The psychology of atheists and theists

Discussion in 'Religion' started by James R, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

More specifically, he is representative of one type of extreme.

Not sure what you mean by "wade in the water".
    Just as one can have faith in something for no good reason to one's detriment, the same holds true for doubt.
    There is practically an infinite number of examples for both.

Freedom and justice (or security) are traded off against each other. Every time you stop at a red light, you forgo your freedom for an element of security.

As for how such things are exploited to offer adverse results, it occurs through monopolies that unbalance the natural tension that keeps things healthy .... and inevitably, when left unchecked, erode their very own authority structures. Classic example (I say by observation ... I find contemporary politics too much of a mess to specifically identify and vouch for any party) is American politics that is monopolized by the right and American media/education that is monopolized by the left. Mix them together, and you get strange "solutions" like Trump.

Generally, both individually and collectively, we manouver with extremes. When something is unbalanced, the tendency is to not seek balance, but unbalance it in the opposite direction ... thus on it goes.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Acitnoids Registered Senior Member

Nobody in the extremes set out to be in the extreme. They just find themselves there. Blind faith is what leads to such extremes.

That is a reference to John 5:1-13. The point given by me was; how much faith should be put into Equity, Social Justice, Freedom. All of which you answered in this post. Thank you for "wading in the waters".
    Antidotes yes, but no other example comes to mind than the well documented influence of Jim Jones. The Faithful and the non believer alike where smitten by his charisma. Those on the extreme, one way or the other, can not recognize that they are the one being extreme.

Unfortunately, I completely agree. The question being asked here is about the psychology of those extremes.

One could say, historically, that creationism is one side of the extreme while Eugenics is the other side. Jim Jones was uninspired by either of those extremes. Yet, nearly 1000 people took their own lives based on his words/charisma.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

9. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Well, that excludes Jim Jones. He certainly set out to break conformity from the start.

As does blind doubt.
    That's the bind of negotiating a balanced path between diametric opposites.

Jim Jones is not anecdotal?

Due to the collapse of communism in the 80s/90s, most people are unaware of the left and right political tension that coloured so much of the era. To try and chalk out the antics of Jim Jones between eugenics and creationism (which is, in itself, a diametric with equal parts vagueness and strangeness) seems to be more of a desperate measure to rewrite history or contextualize his religious undeepinnings and/or politics in unrelated fields.

10. Acitnoids Registered Senior Member

I was not referring to Jim Jones. I was referring to his followers. The "Faithful".

Blind doubt does not lead to the mass suicide of almost 1000 people. I do not disagree with your point. I just don't see how doubt has lead to the pain and loss of 1000s of families.

I am very aware. Just as the political and social economic situations of the 2nd and 1st centuries BCE/CE led to the rise of a new faith we now call Christianity.

Yeah, those are probably bad examples between the extreme of faith and the extreme of doubt but once again. I am referring to the followers of Jim Jones. The "Faithful". None of them went in with the mindset that being part of a suicide cult was their end goal. Yet, nearly 1000 people followed blindly the words of another.

11. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Doubt must encourage seeking evidence whereas faith encourages the opposite approach.
    Alex

12. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Perhaps theists think faith is normal and justified whereas atheists feel doubt avoids being conned.
    Alex

13. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member