The production of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) by white blood cells.

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by John99, Oct 21, 2007.

1. John99 Banned Banned

Cant anyone help me with this?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

AFAIK H2O2 is primarily produced during beta-oxidation of fatty acids, during oxidative bursts (immune response) and is an unwanted byproduct of aerobic respiration (electron transfer chain to oxygen). There are further functions proposed to H2O2 (e.g. cellular signaling) but I have no real expertise on this area.

H2O2 by itself is only toxic in relatively high amounts (LD50 in rabbits, dermal, is 6.5 g/kg with a 50% solution), which ones body usually does not produce.
    However the true toxicity is based on the possibility of the Fenton reaction. If H2O2 reacts with iron in the body extremely reactive oxygen species, hydroxyl radicals are formed. These are able to severely harm cells, especially the DNA.
    Of course rather seldom direct effects are seen, but for instance increased cancer risk can be a result.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. criticalthinker Registered Member

H2O2 Therapy

I think that it is important to note that this field, is still fairly new and has not been widely embraced. In addition, remember that the discovery of relativley cheap treatments for disease could really upset the apple cart the big pharma companies are pushing. I.V. H2o2 therapy exist today and has since at least the 1930's, along with UV blood irradiation as a means to combat infection and other diseases.

The body produces H2o2 as do plants and it is a necessary part of normal body function but research has only begun to scratch the surface of what is really going on. The perosisomes you mention have more that one function, and seem to be able to function differently in different circumstances.

While it cannot be linked causally, it has been noted that peroxisomes increase in number in the presence of antigens however there exact role in systematic defense is still undefined.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.