The population problem

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by fadingCaptain, Dec 12, 2002.

?

What should we do about the population problem?

1. Space colonization of planets/moons

14 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. Improve food production (ie. nanotechnology)

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. Sex education and availability of safe sex devices

18 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Birth restrictions

25 vote(s)
    29.4%
  5. There is no population problem

16 vote(s)
    18.8%
  6. Other (please explain)

9 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Want to see something scary? Look at this:

The world

What do you think about the world's population?

What, if anything, should be done?

I think the issue is so large and daunting that no country is willing to tackle it head on. Nothing of significance will be done until it is too late. It is already too late in many countries and millions of people are dying.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

I would always agree that sex-education is the key. I strongly believe in openness in schools and within our homes in teaching about safe-sex. Yet we spend billions of dollars on safe-sex here in the states, and it doesnt appear to be working very effectively. So I went with birth restricitions. Even though I am against a government that puts restrictions on such things. If a society is ignorant to the long term effects of having unsafe sex (AIDS, unwanted children, population problems) then maybe a government should step in and put restrictions. It seems to be working in China.

Take care

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

And governmental control has produced the added bonus of female infanticide! Hurray!

:m: Peace.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

One model to emulate is Taiwan. They used to give tax benefit to families that have 1 child, and neutral for families with 2 children, and penalties for more than 2 children. The more children a family have, the higher tax you have to pay.

They don't do that anymore because their birth rate really plummeted last couple years because of their economy. Whenever the birth rate plummet in a country historically, they never bounce back up. Now Taiwanese government actually handout cash to families having more than 2 children.

Anyways, I have another idea. White people on average have lower birth rate than any other ethnic group. That means we can solve population problems by painting everyone's skin white.

8. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Not every decision has to be moral decision. Sometimes practical considerations are equally important.

If China doesn't do what they do, they will become India. They not only achieved population control, but they also created gay men's paradise. (much higher men vs women ratio)

9. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

So what do you propose?

10. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Cannibalism!

Cannibalism in overpopulated countries in famine! It reduces the population and feeds people, two birds with one stone!

11. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

I like it!

Ass stew!!!

12. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

*stRgrl*

I can eat your arse???

13. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Only if I can eat yours!

14. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Deal!

15. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Two pervs in a pod

16. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Population control, ass eating.

Yeah I can see the correlation...

17. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

It is a shame that space colonization will never be something that can solve the population problem. Even if we had another planet to ship everyone to it would not help. Simply, it costs to much.

I would think that in order to be effective that population contorl can only be achieved through government controls. Without it nothing will slow down the birth rate.

Of course, backwards institutions like the Roman Catholic Church, doesn't help either.

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i think that the latest predictions are that the world population will start to decline after ?? years...

i can't remember how many...may i guess 20?

edit:
    Despite a growth burst that more than doubled the global human population over the past 50 years, a study released today predicts it will peak at 9 billion by the year 2070 and then begin to decline.

also:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1467252.stm

i guess it is more than 20 years

19. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

If we put our resources into it, I think we could colonize mars and maybe even the moon or other planets. The problem is that we are distracted by all the crap happening here on earth. Maybe I am too much an optimist, but I think we could we do it.

The problem is millions and millions (maybe even billions) of people will die as an equilibrium is reached. Wouldn't it be nice to avoid that?

20. adam2314 Registered Senior Member

So...... Millions ... maybe billions die... If they didn't we would really have a population problem...... EDUCATION is the answer.. and not just sex education..

21. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

What kind of education if not sex education?

22. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

There wouldn't be a population problem if the worlds resources were shared more equally.
    The egoistic lifestyle is the cause of this.

23. YoungWriter Audiophile Registered Senior Member

Observe the history of a habitat for a while. The predator (Species A) hunts for its food via eating another animal, (species B). If species A increases, then species B decreases, and vice versa. Now of course, I'm simplifying the situation, assuming species B food stays constant, weather is constant, etc...

But humans have increased then steadied ourselves out, then increased, and in the last 50 or so years, we've skyrocketed. In nature, that usually means the population plummits soon.