The Picture Thread Mark II

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Avatar, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

If you upload them here, you can only link them, not let them display directly. For that you need an exterior domain.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Ah, gotcha. I'm no longer confused.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Repo:
    Well, I've never seen Mr. Bush look so philosophical as when he's all scrubbed up for church.

Uhm, no?

Let someone walk by you, head high and nose up with an air of faux nonchallance and the dimmest twit in the room will call it mysterious.
    The brightest twit will call it intelligence.
    Both are simpletons intrigued by an attitude, not a person.

I've said this before:
    "Men made tribes, tribes made cities, cities made crowds and crowds unmade men.
    In the unmaking, personality and character is substituted with attitude.
    Haven't you noticed that attitude is the easiest clone?"

And attitude does not make one intelligent, the same way a mink coat does not make one rich.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Unfortunately, the posture of straight back and head up is both a healthy one and a proud one. I have back pains; it'll take me ages to look natural with a back straight. Besides, I see nothing wrong with pride.

8. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

I been wondering gendanken, when you say "men" do mean men as in humans or men as in not women? Reason for asking is because you use it a lot, well maybe not a lot but you used it in the few posts of yours i have seen.

9. Arditezza Banned Banned

Benjamin Franklin said: "Pride that dines on vanity, sups on contempt"

10. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I am not vain. I adore myself. And everyone should adore themselves. Nobody else will do it better.

11. Arditezza Banned Banned

I respect myself. I save my love, for other people.

The funniest thing about narcissism is that those who profess to love themselves so dearly are really lost in the ignorance of thinking that how you look, and how you act truly matters to all people. And those that do learn to love and give up their narcissism become more humble, tolerable people.

12. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I love myself precisely because I matter little to other people. What I do and what I look like matters to me. I want to meet my own standards and to live up to my own expectations. And if I succeed, why shouldn't I be proud of myself? Why shouldn't I love myself? You mean, I shouldn't look good because it matters to nobody? I shouldn't do things simply because what I do means nothing to others?

13. Arditezza Banned Banned

You shouldn't fool yourself, is all.

If it is how you say, then why do you so staunchly defend it? If it is as you say, why pose for pictures, and spend a lot on clothes... to look good for yourself? Vanity is created to cover weaknesses and flaws, in my experience.

14. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Like all, I have weaknesses and flaws. Perhaps, I am weaker than most, perhaps I have more flalws than others. Does that mean I shouldn't love myself? Why shouldn't I have an expensive outfit or two? And why shouldn't I take pics of myself?

What do you mean, you reserve love for others? Does that mean, that if I love myself, I can't love anybody else?

Meh, you're right. I shouldn't defend anything. Think what you wish.

15. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Ok, now aren't we just nitpicking pointlessly?

She bought an outfit, she took a picture....where does this constitute claims of possible narcissism?

This is precisely why the previous thread got closed.......it is meant to contain pictures of forum members....clothed, i'd dress up too if my pic was floating around on the net.

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Indeed. Let us just post pics. Let us be simple people.

17. an>roid.v2 Registered Senior Member

I think you were both essentially describing the same thing: whether one respects one's self or loves one's self, one ultimately enjoys one's self. However, because one shows respect and love for one's self, one can also scold one's self... a healthy dose of self-discipline builds character.

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Anyways, what's wrong with narcisism? Is it only because you have been told it's bad or are there any other reasons?

19. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I think narcissism is a disorder. Anybody with a background in psych(iatry/ology) around here to correct me?

20. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

21. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Not a godamned thing.
    But if its a general self "like" based on external validation, then you will always be the insecure pile of flesh you've always been.
    But everyone will still like you because people always like those equal or below them! Yah!!

Whitewolf:
    As it should be.

But we must always remember the difference between competence and confidence, people.
    Any idiot can strike up an indifferent Bohemian pose and look intelligently confident.
    Any idiot can be in love with themselves.
    Any idiot can put on airs.
    Some pride themselves on being able to look down or above other people’s heads, yet any idiot on stilts, a horse, or wearing stilettos can do the same thing.

It doesn't take much to appear confident because it does not require acumen or intelligence - what is hard is competence.
    Something the haughty don't have.
    And it shows in their language and thought processes.

This is confidence:
    http://sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=39338

Kunax:
    Men is humanity.
    Stupid question number one.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  22. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

But we also need to understand, that confidence is a necessary trait. I'd say, to some degree, lack of confidence is lack of development in personality (and, therefore, in thought processes). Also, as a rule, an idiot doesn't really know he's an idiot

Competence has little to do with general confidence, particularly in the thread that you brought up as example. BTW, will you ever get over it? The question interested me for a short time, it was a fling of a mood. I've spent over a year in scis, posting many other threads and responces.

Anybody feel we need a separate thread to discuss this accursed issue? I sense this one is getting way off topic.

23. water the sea Registered Senior Member

By all means, start a new thread on that "accursed topic", there's enough material for you it here.
    See you there.