The Pharmacology Sticky

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by John J. Bannan, Jul 17, 2007.

1. phlogistician Banned Banned

Nothing, John is however, a moron.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

I'm down to two cups, in the morning only. I used to drink between six and eight cups a day, and when I stopped, well, I went though full caffeine withdrawal. I had a headache for three days solid, it felt like someone was trying to cut out my right frontal lobe with a wooden spoon.

I bought a percolator, this helps a lot, I put it on in the morning, and it keeps coffee hot for two hours, so after that, no more coffee. Previously using instant, or a cafetiere, it was all too easy to make a fresh cup at any time.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

they do have 1cup coffee makers

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I had one!! It was AWESOME!! But now I drink 1 cup if dad is home and 2 if he isnt.. haha.. i feel it flow threw me and I am like SCORE!! Then stuff gets done, then I get lazy again.. haha. but I can go awhile without caffeine.. but I crave the coffee flavor, and my soda flavors.. hahaa..dam..now i want a cherry coke

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

I have been drinking more than usual. Normally, I drink one cup or sometimes two, lately I am up to 4 or 6. I am working on a project, so I think it is only a temporary desire to drink coffee.

That said, I don't go through withdrawals at all, and normally I can skip days and not even think about it. Coffee\caffeine, to me, is pretty much like drinking water, and I hardly drink water so a little extra coffee doesn't hurt me. Some people get jittery about coffee and if that is the case should not drink it.

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I have one cup of coffee that I make in the morning. I use a coffee scoop so it's a single shot (even though the cup is large). I always have Lavazza Coffee medium roast. A work mate I know drinks 4-6 cups a day at the local cafe' (a large is a double shot - something the coffee cart doesn't seem to do - which is odd as they charge more for a large). Anyway, if I have a coffee with him (he's always asking me to go) I feel sick to my stomach. So I usually just walk over and either get a small or ask for a juice.

9. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I drink coffee throughout the entire day at work. I have to drink a lot because it's so watery and weak. Nobody at my office knows how to use the right amount of coffee grounds. You shouldn't be able to see the bottom of the cup when it's full. Luckily they have tea I can drink if a particularly weak pot of coffee is sitting there.

On weekends I brew a nice large fresh cup of coffee in my french press.

10. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

that is when YOU take it over

11. evilbitz Registered Senior Member

Hi there, good way to address the problem. I have some questions though:

(46-25)/(46/2)*4.9 = 4.47 => Not sure where 46 came from and what equation did you use? Have you used the 1st order half time equation here? an explanation will be great!

12. John99 Banned Banned

What effect? Personally i dont mnotice any effect from drinking one can of soda/ So what am i missing?

13. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I still drink shit loads of Red Bull.

Weirdly, though, I can go without it for a few days and not get headaches or anything. I don't seem to be physically addicted. Maybe I'm just a high sensory junkie (I love the taste).

14. John99 Banned Banned

heart palpitations?

15. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Nope.

Though I sometimes have little adrenalin rushes. Or what I assume are adrenalin rushes; it feels kind of like a mild electrical shock somewhere near my adrenals, and it radiates in pulses. I'm sure that's not healthy, but..meh

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. flameofanor5 Not a cosmic killjoy Registered Senior Member

I need very little caffeine to keep me awake.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The three most popular recreational drugs, alcohol, caffeine and nicotine, have remarkably uniform responses in most people. But like other recreational drugs they differ in how strongly they affect different individuals, how long they take to wear off, and how addictive they are. The Wiki figure of 4.9 hours to wear off is correct as an average, but the standard deviation is very high. IIRC it's something like plus or minus 50%, so there are a lot of us out here at three sigmas who are still wired at midnight and can't sleep.

As I get older I find that it wears off faster, but as recently as ten years ago I could pour myself two ounces of Dr. Pepper in a measuring cup on Saturday morning and it would keep me dancing on the ceiling until Sunday night. And of course there are the people who can drink six cups of home-brewed coffee with breakfast and take a nap at noon. We may be one-percenters, but in a population of six billion there are sixty million one-percenters.

Tea and chocolate also contain caffeine. The content of tea varies from blend to blend, but good strong tea is in the same range as coffee. Chocolate varies depending on how much actual cocoa solids are in it, as opposed to milk and other ingredients. A bar of good 70% French or Belgian dark chocolate has as much caffeine as a cup of cafeteria coffee. Chocolate also contains theobromine, another psychoactive drug that many of us find mellows out the horn-honking, finger thrusting "road rage" high of caffeine and just leaves us with the alertness and the physical energy.
    So perhaps you're a one-percenter at the other end of the bell curve, one who doesn't get off on caffeine. The usual effects are increased physical strength and endurance (similar to adrenaline), increased alertness and concentration (similar to amphetamine), and a modest mitigation of pain (it's a vasoconstrictor so it reduces the blood flow to your nerve endings). Let's hope you also don't have the withdrawal effect when it's flushed out of your system and you find yourself in endorphin-debt: tiredness, irritability, loss of several IQ points, the return of some pains you'd forgotten about... and an overwhelming desire for more caffeine.
    Huh??? I take a depressant and try to sleep through it!

18. mike47 Banned Banned

I never sleep when I am traveling as I am so excited watching things and listening to music or other stuff . Coffee used to control me so now I am free from it and will never drink it unless I am traveling by plane for hours with no stop .

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Alcohol Pill

I think this is a damn waste, but....

If you are an alcoholic, would this be the thing for you? Kinda like a nicotine patch for smokers?
    Would this pill have any long tern affect on your liver the way real booze does?

Thanks to a new technique developed by Russian professor Evgeny Moskalev, now you can get drunk without drinking.

Moskalev has created an "alcohol pill" using a method that transforms alcohol into a powder, which can then be packed into potent pills.

"We have developed a technology that allowed us to turn any liquid solution into powder," Professor Moskalev said.

He reports having tested his technique on liquor "containing as much as 96% alcohol content," notes MyFoxSpokane.

Moskalev claims to be able to create an alcohol pill from just about any boozy beverage, including whiskey, cognac, beer, and wine, the Times of India reports.

The Times Of India describes how these "vodka pills" or "whiskey pills" could be taken by people in lieu of drinking:

Vodka in form of a pill would come handy at parties when "consumers" would be able to calculate their exact required dosage.

20. superstring01 Moderator

I used to pop GHB in my younger years. Not a pill, but a swig, about the size of a NyQuil dose, would cause some SERIOUS intoxication.

~String

21. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

The liver processes the ethanol found in "spirited" beverages, which is a toxin. The pills still contain ethanol, and will therefore have the same effect on the liver over the long term.

One benefit would be a very significant reduction in caloric intake that usually occurs in a night of drinking.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Would it be measurable on a breathalyzer test or would they have to take a blood sample?

23. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

It would be measurable by breathalyzer.

It's essentially the same thing. The alcohol is entering the blood stream via absorption through your digestive system. You are going to require the same blood-alcohol level to be drunk, and it's going to pass through the lungs in the blood and be exhaled just the same.

Don't take pills and drive. I'm starting MATPD right now!