The Pharmacology Sticky

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by John J. Bannan, Jul 17, 2007.

1. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

alcohol....it has ruined more lives than all the lsd , crack and heroin combined

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sentrynox Registered Member

The most powerful drug in the world is called pro-opiomelanocortin.
    It is metabolized by the pituitari gland and is release during death. It then dissociate itself in 7 different opiates, all with various side effects, like body dissociation, tunnel effect, vasodilatation and on.

This drug is HARDLY available on the market and if you find it, you can expect pay in the 6 figures only for one dose, as 1000 human pituitary glands are needed to make only 1 dose... And since peoples needs to die in order to release it to be extracted...

Park and Davis, as synthetize one of the various drug release by this super drug, and it is available on the market under the brand name Ketalar (Ketamine)

The origin of this drug (along with most of those available today) was from the eugenic AKTION programm initiated during the second world war by Hitler to get rid of mentally deficient citizens...

Thats perfect for an horror movie!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

According to Wikipedia, a mutation in this gene, produced by living beings, results in having red hair.
    (I knew there was something a bit fishy about those people)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proopiomelanocortin

I can't find anything relating to its being released at the moment of death.
    I'm not saying that you are wrong, just that I can't find anything by googling it.
    I'd be very interested in seeing something to support your post.
    Have you any sources?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

This is nonsense.

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Nonsensical, yes. Complete nonsense, No.
    POMC is a precursor for at least 10 physiologically active compounds, one of which is Beta Endorphin.

Endorphins are endogenous opioid polypeptide compounds. They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates during strenuous exercise,[1] excitement, pain and orgasm,[2][3] and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a sense of well-being. Endorphins work as "natural pain relievers", whose effects may be enhanced by other medications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endorphin

Produced in response to stress, so may well be released at the time of death.
    The drug Ketamine can cause a Near Death Experience, and may do this by interfering with POMC, but there is no relation between it and POMC.
    http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=18684363

As for "The origin of this drug (along with most of those available today) was from the eugenic AKTION programm initiated during the second world war by Hitler to get rid of mentally deficient citizens..."
    That is nonsense, I think. Though I'm open to contradiction Sentrynox.

Price. Again he's on the button.
    Here's a site selling POMC at 230 Euros for 2 micrograms.
    Enough to make an ant happy for a few minutes.
    http://www.acris-antibodies.com/H00005443-P02.htm

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  9. flameofanor5 Not a cosmic killjoy Registered Senior Member

Caffeine

How long does it take the caffeine in a 12 ounce can of Diet Coke containing 46 milligrams of caffeine to wear off?

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

In healthy adults, caffeine's half-life is approximately 4.9 hours. In women taking oral contraceptives this is increased to 5–10 hours, and in pregnant women the half-life is roughly 9–11 hours.

In general, 25 to 50 milligrams of caffeine is sufficient for most people to report increased alertness and arousal as well as subjectively lower levels of fatigue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine#Metabolism_and_half-life

So, in a healthy adult, it would take at most (46-25)/(46/2)*4.9 = 4.47 hours for the noticeable effects of said amount of caffeine to wear off.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  11. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

You say that like its a bad thing!

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yea, I figured it would be more

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

14. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I actually have DMT but have been a little cautious about trying it.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

And it's produced naturally in the human brain, especially during near death or other extreme circumstances.

16. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I don't imagine it is something you would find on the street corner.
    How would one go about getting it? (purely an academic question, mind you)

17. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Which would explain the religious nature of the near death experiences...

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Certain plants have it and you can get those legally. Otherwise I just found this forum:

http://www.lycaeum.org/dmtworld/

Ayahuasca is a brew in Brazil and saliva is one of the plants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayahuasca#Ayahuasca_tourism

Legal status:

"The legal status in the United States of DMT-containing plants is somewhat questionable. Ayahuasca plants and preparations are legal, as they contain no scheduled chemicals. However, brews made using DMT containing plants are illegal since DMT is a Schedule I drug. That said, some people are challenging this, using arguments similar to those used by peyotist religious sects, such as the Native American Church. A court case allowing União do Vegetal to use the tea for religious purposes in the United States, Gonzales v. O Centro Espirita Beneficente Uniao do Vegetal, was heard by the U.S. Supreme Court on November 1, 2005; the decision, released February 21, 2006, allows the UDV to use the tea in its ceremonies pursuant to the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. In a similar case an Ashland, Oregon based Santo Daime church sued for their right to import and consume ayahuasca tea. In March 2009, U.S. District Court Judge Panner ruled in favor of the Santo Daime, acknowledging its protection from prosecution under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act.[23]

Religious use in Brazil was legalized after two official inquiries into the tea in the mid-1980s, which concluded that ayahuasca is not a recreational drug and has valid spiritual uses.[24]

In France, Santo Daime won a court case allowing them to use the tea in early 2005; however, they were not allowed an exception for religious purposes, but rather for the simple reason that they did not perform chemical extractions to end up with pure DMT and harmala and the plants used were not scheduled. Four months after the court victory, the common ingredients of Ayahuasca as well as harmala were declared stupéfiants, or narcotic schedule I substances, making the tea and its ingredients illegal to use or possess."

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

LSD is still stronger, but this shit does work really fast when smoked. :m:

20. mike47 Banned Banned

These days if I drink one cup of coffee I will find it very hard to sleep .
    About ten years ago tough I used to drink two strong cups of coffee every day . Then a doctor told me it is not good for me . So gradually I stopped drinking it . Now I feel better without having to drink coffee to give me a boost in thge morning and in the afternoon . Last time I drank coffee was when I had to travel by plane for 9 hours no stop at all .

21. John99 Banned Banned

ha ha...wear of. i am not laughing but 'wear off'? seriously though, some people seem to have a problem drinking caffeine.

i am all wired up...:xctd:

22. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What is so funny about the words 'wear off'?