The Origin of Life

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by valich, Dec 21, 2005.

1. valich Registered Senior Member

For the first time ever, astronomers have found some of the basic compounds necessary to build organic molecules and proteins found in DNA within the inner regions of a planet-forming disk.

"The researchers detected two organic compounds — acetylene and hydrogen cyanide — in amounts nearly 10,000 times higher than found in the cold interstellar gas where stars are born. These compounds are commonly found in the atmospheres of the giant gas planets in our solar system, the icy surfaces of comets, and the atmosphere of Saturn’s largest moon, Titan. They also detected carbon dioxide, which is widespread in the atmospheres of Venus, Earth and Mars.

"If you add hydrogen cyanide, acetylene and water together in a test tube, and give them an appropriate surface on which to be concentrated and react, you'll get a slew of organic compounds including amino acids and a DNA purine base called adenine," said co-author Geoffrey Blake of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena.

These findings will be published in an upcoming issue of the Astrophysical Journal Letters." 2005 Space.com.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10550906/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lowefly Registered Senior Member

And if I go down to the store I can buy a chemistry set but I can't make life. Big jump but hey remember science is founded on faith in Darwin...lol so go pray to Darwin and see where it get's ya....lol There is at least as much faith based belief in Darwin as there is in God. We don't KNOW squat. Sorry but I'm let down by science and it's Faith in Darwin based on weak supporting evidence. The more I study the weaker it seems.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

You obviously don't know ANYTHING about science, since darwin has absolutely NOTHING to do with the origins of life. No wonder you're being "let down by science", you're just listening to stupid creationist propaganda that has nothing to do with science.

If you go down to the store and buy a chemistry set you can't make antimatter either. Or liquid oxygen... or a bunch of other things.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

The more you study the weaker it seems? cool. Let us know when you dont know anything, OK? Or when your computer stops working because you dont have faith that it will.