The orbit of electrons

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Prosoothus, Nov 10, 2002.

1. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

Nasor:

Yes, that's why I prefer the term 'probabilistic' over the term 'random.' Mathematically, 'random' is a perfectly acceptable term, but many people confuse randomness with the lack of a probability distribution. Naturally, a random variable can actually have any probability distribution you can dream up. A random variable is just one whose current value does not depend on any of its past values.

- Warren

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I thought that the mathematical definition of 'random' was that the present value is not in any way related to its past values. So you couldn't look at a large list of past values and use it to make predictions about what the present or future value would be.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

It is.
    You can't predict an exact future value; but you can certainly predict probabilities for each possible value.

You don't know the result of your next coin toss; but you know the odds are 50/50 heads/tails.

- Warren

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ChristCrusher Registered Senior Member

take a fucking math class.

learn to solve D.E.'s

no asshat on this forum will explain this better to you than 2 pages of simple calculations

8. ChristCrusher Registered Senior Member

nice to see we are always at steady state...

9. ChristCrusher Registered Senior Member

i will offer nothing further to this we-todd-did thread other than anyone who is still confused on orbitals and wavefunctions, please quit thinking in terms of simplistic continuous spatial functions , and start thinking in terms of vectors and matrices.

10. ChristCrusher Registered Senior Member

because you arent looking for the fourier transform of a complex exponential to find the momentum of non-quantum objects.