The Obama File

Discussion in 'Politics' started by eyeswideshut, Oct 5, 2011.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

1a) Why was Hannity not blaming George II when gasoline prices under George II were at similar levels? Oh that is right, George II was a Republican.

1b) US oil prices = global oil prices and the POTUS does not control global oil pricing.

1c) Global oil prices and supply are managed/controlled by an oil cartel (i.e. OPEC). So increased domestic US oil production would likely be met with offsetting production reduction in OPEC states. Thus increased domestic US oil supplies would have zero global impact on pricing or supply. It is really stupid to blame Obama for oil price increases.

1d) Obama can be faulted for not pursuing realistic alternatives to gasoline (e.g. natural gas) more aggressively. Funny, why is Hannity and his fellows over at Fox not pursuing this line of attack? My guess is Exxon might not be to happy with that line of attack. God forbid that people should know there are better and cheaper alternatives available to gasoline.

2a) Where was Hannity and his fellow conservatives when George II and his fellows were on vacation every few weeks and traveling all over the country? As you point out, George II was on vacation every other day.

2b) The president pays his own vacation expenses. The government pays for his travel and security expenses just as they have done for every president for generations.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. eyeswideshut Registered Senior Member

You have to be pretty brain dead to vote this puppet to office again, he has broken practically every campaign promise he made and with grand style...

Fall Of The Republic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piNXxLHcIXs

And now, watch all the apologists, paid stooges and whatnots gathering to attack, lol

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well then you should be able to make a case. Where is your credible proof? Oh that's right you don't have any. So you have to rely on doctored videos and special interest ads.

I would like to see you prove your allegations with credible evidence.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. keith1 Guest

Quit hitting yourself. and blaming Obama for your bruises.

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

A man currently serving a 17 year sentence in prison (in Texas) received 40% of the vote in the Virginia Democratic Party Presidential Primary.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm sure this is a "protest vote" and I doubt most of the people who voted for him realized they were voting for an inmate, but it certainly isn't a good sign when an inmate can get that many votes.
    Virginia is considered a toss up, but based on this, I'd be surprised if Romney didn't carry Virginia.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

This is West Virginia, not Virginia. There is a big difference. West Virgina is a conservative and a very poor white state. It is far from a toss-up state. Obama has never been popular in West Virginia. We are talking Appalachia here. The state of Virginia is a toss-up state and leaning Obama.

10. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

D'oh! My mistake. Still a funny story. How about North Carolina (the state that will be hosting this years Democratic Convention). 21% of the voters choose "no preference" over the unopposed president Obama?

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Consider this Romney won less than 2/3's of the votes in the Republican North Carolina Primary yesterday in which Romney was virtually the only Republican POTUS candidate still standing. Consider also that North Carolina is a very Southern Red state voting only once in the last 4 presidential elections for a Democrat.

So when you look at all the numbers, 80 percent of the party primary vote for Obama versus 66% for Romney in a red state like North Carolina, that is not a bad number for Obama.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2012/05/08/romney-wins-in-indiana.html

http://www.nccivitas.org/2012/nc-voters-curb-their-enthusiasm-for-obama-romney/

It is not surprising to see Fox pushing Romney with this kind of lopsided stuff.

Romney won 70% of the Republican Primary vote in West Virginia, which means that 30% of the Republican voters in West Virginia wanted someone other than Romney yesterday. Thirty percent of the Republican West Virginia voters, a solid Republican state, voted against Romney yesterday - not just a "No Preference" vote. So when you look at the big picture yesterday and you think 20% of the Democrats in North Carolina voting "No Preference" is funny, then you have to be ROFL when you look at 30% of the Republican voters voting against Romney in a solid red state like West Virginia. And West Virginia was the best state for Romney in the primaries yesterday.

12. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

But all the other guys are still on the ballot and the vote is meaningless. Thus people feel free to vote for whoever they actually supported all along knowing that it makes no difference anyway. That's not the same thing (IMHO) as not voting for your candidate when he's the only one on the ballot.

Suffice to say, neither party is very enthusiastic about their standard bearer this time around. But I do think that Republicans are very enthusiastic about voting against Obama come November whether it's Romney, Paul, or Mickey Mouse running against him.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

So Obama finally did the right thing today and came out in favor of gay marriage!

14. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

You don't think those Republican voters don't know that their candidates are no longer running? Your opinion of how ill informed Republican voters are apparently exceeds mine, and that is no easy task! If Republicans know their candidates are no longer running, the vote for their candidates yesterday was a very clear anti-Romney vote. The only way your opinion makes sense is if the Republican voters yesterday were very ill informed.

Well that remains to be seen. There is a loyal and energetic right wing following primarily fueled and energized by a daily feed of right wing misinformation from the likes of Fox News, Clear Channel Communications, rush limbaugh, marc levin, hannity, et al. How big that group is remains to be seen. One can hope that reason will prevail over crass demagoguery this election season. But we all know, there is a lot of special interest money on the Republican side, lining up to ensure that hope for reasoned discourse this year is thoroughly dismembered.

15. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

It appears to me that President Obama has come out fighting. Thus far he is controlling the debate. First it was his reminding people of his accomplishments. That reminder brought about a slew of Republican complaints, complaining that Obama was "spiking the ball". Republicans seemed to have forgotten George Junior's famous "Mission Accomplished" episode with George Junior in his flight suit. But now that President Obama is doing it, it's spiking the ball.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Now it's gay marriage. Republicans are playing defense.

16. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

That's not what the polls say:

http://www.politico.com/politico44/...thusiasm-edge-in-swing-state-poll-122634.html

In fact, I think that's just wishful thinking on your part. Voters are less enthusiastic about Obama now than they were in 2008 (which is almost inevitable, and also not saying much). Given how fractured the GOP is these days, I don't see how Romney can simultaneously energize both the teabaggers and the establishment and the evangelicals. You can assert that they all just hate Obama so much that they're dieing to vote for anybody, but I don't see it. Or rather, I don't see where the fact that the Republican base is exactly that adds up to an argument about the election - the Republican base, on its own, can't carry a Presidential election in the first place.

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

This and That

Defense? I'm not so sure about that. The daily question for Republicans seems to be, "What did President Obama say or do, and how can I complain about that?"

• • •​

We must remember that, while voter turnout was just over half of what it was in the 2008 primaries in Madanthonywayne's corner of the Universe, he lives in one of those states that is degrading its own political influence on behalf of the Tea Party. To wit, no matter who wins the Senate race, his state will go from having one of the longest standing, most respected Republican senators in the nation to a greenhorn junior senator. Democrats are hooting with delight, apparently, because they think the toppling of a Republican stalwart by the Tea Party puts the seat in play. That remains to be seen, though Obama did edge McCain 'round those parts in 2008; suddenly voter turnout numbers become important—is Republican enthusiasm down?

And so on, and so forth. But conservative hardliners won the senate primary, which will give them some confidence.

Still, though, the lower turnout this year suggests Republican enthusiasm is down generally, and with folks like Bryan Fischer of the AFA openly criticizing Romney for everything—including those occasions that the bigot preacher gets what he wants—Republicans in "middle America" might well be facing an enthusiasm gap that translates to their undoing.

We'll see how all this goes. I hold with Maher that Democratic supporters cannot bank on Obama's re-election. Romney has a path to victory, but it's tight; losing even one necessary swing state could end the question for Republicans. Voter enthusiasm is imperative, and the primary in Madanthonywayne's state suggests GOP enthusiasm is down.

To the other, if he is overlooking that aspect, I understand. As you're aware, one of my constant criticisms of his analyses is superficiality. For the moment, hardline conservatives are on a high in his state, the omens are hard to read, and anti-institutionalism seems to be driving what voter enthusiasm there is.

And, of course, he might well be misreading liberal disappointment with some of Obama's political outcomes. Democratic supporters, ranging all the way to the leftists—who are never tremendously enthusiastic about voting for a center-right party—are protective of Obama. We've seen what happens if conservative hardliners get into office; we don't want to have to clean up Romney's mess in 2016. So the more the hardline right goes after women, religious and ethnic minorities, labor, and so on, the more determined Democratic supporters will be to turn out the vote.

Our neighbor's analysis is certainly wishful; but this is also a year when wishes are in play.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  18. Tero Registered Member

I never vote based on campaign promises. My only criterion is fewer conservative judges for supreme court. We are falling behind times compared to librul Europe.

Romney will only appoint conservatives, limit EPA etc.

19. Tero Registered Member

Quadra, dieing means to use a die such
    as stamping a metal object. Dying results in death.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Just for reference, it's the same position on gay marriage as Dick Cheney.

21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

But it is not Romney's position. And according to the Tea Party majority in the Republican Party these days, Cheney is one of those infamous RINOs.

22. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

I think the likeliest explanation is simply the echo-chamber effect. There's the whole alternate reality maintained by right-wing media wherein everyone has been totally united in strident opposition to the communist cryptomuslim president since 2008. And of course we just came off of the GOP primaries, wherein the larger media was disproportionately focussed on GOP issues and talking points for many months. So I can see how somebody might form and sustain the idea that there's the big groundswell of committed anti-Obama sentiment, although to me it just looks like a story the GOP is telling itself to keep spirits up in tough times. I don't see where committed opposition to Obama is even as strong as the anti-Bush sentiment was back in 2004, and that wasn't enough to prevent a second term for that candidate.

Also, now that the GOP primary is over and Obama has a fixed target to attack from the bully pulpit, I think we're going to get reminded of exactly how deft and powerful a campaigner Obama is. The guy is no limp-wristed chump like Kerry or Gore were - you don't just stumble into being the first black President. And Robocorp is about as fat a target as Obama could hope for. I, for one, am looking forward to several more months of Slow Jam The News vs. Let Them Eat Cake.

Not to be too complacent (intrade.com current has Obama victory odds at 60%), but it's Obama's election to lose as I see it. Provided he doesn't do anything completely stupid, or get hammered by an EU crack-up or somesuch, I don't see how Romney can realistically get there.

23. Tero Registered Member

Obama does campaigns OK and talks well even with a short statement. Lack of experience showed mostly with congress. A troublesome one. And the two party system works poorly. Even in matters where all voters demand: do something, anything.