The Noble Confederate States of America

Discussion in 'History' started by FreeMason, Dec 30, 2004.

1. FreeMason Registered Senior Member

Where to begin? So much marred history needs to be corrected.

Let's begin with the least obvious.

90,000 African Americans fought for the Confederacy, when the War for Southern Independence ended, these Confederates chose parole with their Southern Brethren, rather than Northern "Freedom". I purposely put freedom in quotations, as Northern "Freedom" was really "vote Republican and you will have land", the former was done, the latter was never really implimented as most of the wealth of the South was stolen by the North and the capital taken there, used to build and maintain the mighty industrial furnaces constructed for war. While that is a good thing for the nation, it was certainly an example of a conquerer taking tribute from its conquered colony.

The Confederacy, what is this very unknown Nation? Well, today most would associate it with slavery, so let us dispell the myths of slavery shall we?

Fact 1: Until the Nineteeth Century, the inhabitants of the world practiced and accepted the institution of slavery as a normal part of life. (Muslims today still accept this institution and the slave market from Muslim parts of the world still trades in 2 million people annually).

Fact 2: From ancient times to the eighteenth century, most religions allowed for and some encouraged slavery.

Fact 3: The majority of the original African slaves were captured by and sold into slavery by other Africans (commonly known today).

Fact 4: The majority of African slaves were sent to Western Hemisphere locations outside of what would become the United States. Only six percent were sent to the U.S.

Fact 5: Virtually all slave trade was done initially by the Portuguese and Spanish and later by the British, French, Dutch, and those from the New England colonies. (As opposed to Southern colonies).

Fact 6: Slavery was found in all the thirteen original colonies (duh).

Fact 7: Slave trade to the United States ended in 1808. (The Confederacy's first act was to also outlaw this Slave trade).

Fact 8: A major effort was made by Northerners to relocate all freed slaves to Africa in the early 1800s. (Which Abraham Lincoln also thought a wise and great idea).

Fact 9: The first person to be killed in John Brown's Raid by Brown's men at Harpers Ferry, was a freed African American. (Oh the Irony).

Fact 10: Even Abraham Lincoln condemned John Brown's "Slave Revolt" raid at Harpers Ferry, calling Brown insane.

Fact 11: The vast majority of Southerners did not own slaves; nearly three-fourths of all Southern families did not own slaves.

Fact 12: The vast majority of slave owners lived on small farms. The large plantations were a myth; only fifteen people in the entire South owned five hundred or more slaves. (Emphasis added, wow, only 15 men, that's amazing, the Abolitionists would have you believe everyone had 1,000 brutalized slaves).

Fact 13: There were nearly a half million free African Americans in the United States at the outbreak of the War between the States, and the majority of them lived in the South. (261,918 Freed Blacks lived in the South).

Fact 14: African Americans (slaves and freed men and women) in 1860 had a greater chance of reaching a senior age than whites. (Having read the 1860 census myself, I know to be fact that this only applied to Blacks in the South, those in the North had a less chance of living past the age of 50 than whites).

Fact 15: The vast majority of slaves were well fed and their nutrimental intake may well have exceeded modern-day standards. (Last part seems to be more hypothetical, the truth is however, that they were not beaten and whipped as Abolitionists liked to claim. Any slave beaten or whipped is not because he was a slave, but because the owner was a brutal man, the kind that beats and whips his own son with a belt...which we have plenty of those today).

Fact 16: Slave housing was typically one family ot a cabin, similar to most rural white housing in the South.

Fact 17: Slave workers were more than just field laborers. Many were skilled workers and managers. (Emphasis added)

Fact 18: Most slaves worked a work schedule common to everyone in the South. Most, like white workers, were off on Sunday and either off all day or a half day on Saturdays.

Fact 19: The number of overseers in the South was quite small, and on those farms and plantations that had overseers, the majority were African American.

Fact 20: Most slaves earned their own money from farming and craft production. Some were able to earn enough to buy their freedom.

Fact 21: The sale of a save(s) that resulted in the break up of a family was a very uncommon occurrence. Only rarely would slave families be split up.

Fact 22: The medical care received by most slaves was superior to that of the Southern Whites. (Census of 1860).

Fact 23: By state laws slaves were not permitted to read or write, but due to their own initiative, often aided by their slave owner, many did so.

Fact 24: Period data suggests that, at least from a financial sense, free Africans were better off in the South versus the North.

Fact 25: Thousands of free African Americans in the South owned their own Slaves. (Shocker!!!)

Fact 26: Abraham Lincoln was elected in 1860 strictly on a regional vote, receiving less than 40 percent of the overall popular vote. (Who complained about Bush not receiving the popular vote?) In some Southern states not a single vote was cast for Lincoln.

Fact 27: Abraham Lincoln was a strong proponent of removing African Americans from America and resettling them in other parts of the world.

Fact 28: The Emancipation Proclamation when issued on January 1, 1863, freed virtually no slaves, and the slaves that could have been freed in the border states were specifically excluded from being freed.

Fact 29: Slaves, former slaves, and freed African Americans served in the military of both the Union and the Confederacy, about 185,000 in the Union Army and perhaps as many as 90,000 in the Confederacy. (At least 65,000 which are recorded as the number of Freed African Americans serving in the Confederacy).

Fact 30: African Americans in the Union army served in segregated units and were paid less money than white soldiers. African Americans in the Confederate army served in integrated units and although not all were paid, when they were, they were paid the same as white soldiers. (I hate that movie "Glory", it's so full of lies).

From the book, Myths and Realities of American Slavery by John C. Perry. (My additions in parentheticals)

Phew, a lot of facts to read, but it allows more orderly discussion of the Noble Confederacy, since the Confederacy is so marred by lies and propoganda.

So, what was the Confederacy fighting for? The Same thing that George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton were fighting for (slave owners). Self-government. The right to not be boonswaggled.

What was happening to the South to cause it to secede? It was being robbed by the Northern dominated Congress. The South entered the Union under the Constitution, weary that the North would dominate the Congress (given too much power) and would attack the South for its wealth. The South was worth twice as much per-capita than the North. It's GDP was 2/3rds of the entire United States economy.

So the South seceded, to protect its rights. Was it seceding to protect Slavery?

No.

In fact, the Blacks would have faired better under the Confederacy than under the Union, for the Confederacy had enacted a program (President Jefferson Davis' greatest hope) to end slavery in good taste. This was by giving Slaves who fought for the Confederacy, not only freedom, but land. The program would then be furthered (in hopes after peace) by ending the sales of peoples within the Confederacy, and allow slavery to die out, letting the Blacks transition into society.

But, it was never to be, the South was conquered, the North forced Blacks to be "free" and gave them nearly nothing (taking most of the South's wealth for themselves).

The South lost most agrarian production, and lost almost all its industrial production, leaving it utterly impoverished.

The Blacks were used by the Republicans to gain "re-elections" in the Congress and Presidency, and this led to animosity between a new generation of whites and blacks that before did not exist.

The Confederacy was trying to preserve the nation that our Founding Fathers invisioned, the Republicans had different ideas, a nation that was strongly federal and was more what we see ourselves as "today", a single nation, little for the states.

What's better, is not really determinable right now, but certainly, a strong federal government is worse for rights in the long-run, as greater evils are committed by a Unitarian government than by a State-centered Union.

The fact that the South was Right is only shown by the massive efforts taken by the Federal Government to "win".

First, the Federal Government lost through-out most of the war, even though it had more men and more industry. The Federal Government had to spend the first year of the war just to suppress rebelions within their "Northern States". By the first year, Lincoln had 38,000 political prisoners (of which the prisoner death rates were about 60%). (And we complain about Abu Graib?)

Lincoln conducted the war without approval by Congress (a declaration of war was never issued).

The South on the other hand, had no troubles raising troops, freed black, slave or white. The South had integrated units of Native Americans, Hispanics and Blacks with their own White soldiers.

The North had no such thing.

The Confederacy had a Constitution (it was not the Confederacy of the Article of Confederation, for those who are so confused).

That Constitution expressly prohibited the "tax and spend" policies of Federal Government that plagued the nation then, and today. It limited the President to one 6 year term and it gave the President "Line-item Veto" (don't we all want that?)

Their Constitution had the amendments within it, that today most of us seem to be begging for. (Ironic, huh?)

The War for Southern Independence was a war against a hostile foreign government in Washington D.C., which had become uncontrolled and unrepresentative of the States within the Union. The Confederacy was an effort to maintain the Constitution, not to destroy it as Lincoln had "suggested". They were fighting to maintain the Constitution as the Founding Fathers invisioned. A republic for the peoples to be secure in their own government.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

hey a question

what DID happen to the defeated people?

i mean did they lose and then just rejoin the USA?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. FreeMason Registered Senior Member

No, they were at first readmitted to the United States, they then ratified the 13th Amendment, but because they would not (along with most States) ratify the 14th Amendment (and there-by forever change the structure of the US to what it is today...) they were "booted out of the Union" and held hostage by Federal occupation, their Governments were abolished (the ones that had ratified the 13th Amendment), Military Governments were established and they were kept out of the Union until they ratified an Amendment, that most Northern States themselves refused to Ratify.

This event was in part why they (the Republicans) impeached Andrew Johnson (who refused to change our nation from a Union into an Empire, for all intents and purposes).

It's a spooky time, ill-taught, about the Ratification of the 14th Amendment.

A time called the Reconstruction Era, when our Federal Government broke every grievance the Declaration of Independence made against King George III.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Where to begin? So much marred history needs to be corrected.

Let's begin with the least obvious.

Like a biased author, with biased sources for a start?

8. Spyke Registered Senior Member

You can't make that claim. While slavery certainly wasn't the only issue, the victory of Lincoln, the candidate of an anti-slavery party, in Nov. 1860 it was the trigger that drove the Deep South states out. Yes, tariffs had been an issue since the 1820s, the route of the transcontinental railroad, the Homestead act, all were sources of conflict, but if you examine sectionalism as it intensified between 1820 and 1860, it was the slavery issue more often than not that was the central source of conflict. The tariff issue had died down after the nullfication crisis in the early 1830s. The Homestead Act couldn't be passed without southern consent in Congress, so those weren't major sources of conflict in 1860, but the coming to power of an anti-slavery was that source of conflict. And thosed southern Fire-Eaters, particularly those in South Carolina, those who had pushed for secession for some time, recognized that they could use this issue, the threat of an assault on the institution of slavery in the South, to propel other southern state leaders to follow their lead, something they had failed to do in 1832 over the tariff issue.

That CSA constitution also made it unlawful for any member states to abolish slavery. So much for the argument that secession was all about states' rights and not slavery.

Regardless of whether or not Lincoln was right or wrong (and I think he was, but am glad he did it anyway), the CSA was not a republic, but rather had been since 1787 an oligarchy run by an aristocratic ruling elite. Roughly 5% of the population, that small super-planter class, owned some 90% of the region's wealth, and controlled its politics. 12 families alone controlled politics in South Carolina, and literally passed the governorship and Senate seats back and forth among themselves*.

I'm a southerner, and let me be the first to say I'm glad the South lost the war and was forced, kicking and screaming perhaps, out of the feudal age.

* A good read on this is Look Away: The History of The Confederate States Of America, by the immenent Civil war historian, William C. Davis.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684865858/102-9699341-2254551?v=glance

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

isnt that still happerning now? what about the bush family and how many of them have or are holding public office?

10. Spyke Registered Senior Member

Please. Not even close.

Up until the late 1700s/early 1800s, when slaves began to seriously out-number whites in some southern states, slaves had been allowed considerably more freedom. Many were allowed their own small plots to grow personal crops, either for their own consumption or to sell if they chose. Those slaves with skills on plantations, blacksmiths, carpenters, etc. could hire themselves out on their off-time. They could also move about with some freedom in their off-time, leaving plantation and visiting others. As I said, this began to change especially in the late 18th/early 19th century, both with the population increases, and also following more frequent slave rebellions. As whites became more fearful, they began enacting more slave codes, restricting the few freedoms that slaves had once enjoyed. For the first couple hundred years of slavery in America, it had closely resembled indentured servitude, with some slaves even being able to earn their freedom after serving their time, but when northern states abolished slavery after the Constitution (and gave slaves an escape route), and with the rebellions, it began to become an increasingly oppresssive institution.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Spyke im not saying i know alot about american history but i can think of 2 familys off the top of my head who breed people to go into public service (or at least thats how it seems to me)

one is the Bush's, with the 2 gorges and i belive i herd that a jeb bush was governer of florider

the other is the kenerdys

now i might be wrong in my assesment. we have never had anything like this in australia (i cant even think of one example of 2 PMs with the same last name)

12. Undecided Banned Banned

The South was a third world state that was lucky enough to last as long as it did. It didn’t even have enough liquid capital to sustain its war; the civil war was not won with guns but with money. Since the Southern ports were blockaded they couldn’t trade their cotton, and since their banking was even less developed the horrendous American banking system they had to print fiat money and inflation went up to 700% causing much poverty, and those blacks who fought for the confederacy…did they really have a choice? Honestly? If you concurrently look at the north her ability to incur and sustain her debt load through bonds, and tax hikes allowed her to win the day.

13. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Does this imply the north had more trouble getting troops?

A hideously moronic statement stemming from your zeal to simplify everything into black and white (no pun intended) shades.

14. FreeMason Registered Senior Member

First, Undecided, that's absolutely not true, the South came out of their War for Independence without any debts. It was not until after the first Reconstruction Act that the South became unable to pay for all its needs.

Second, Spyke, I must disagree, especially on the subject of the causes of that war, they were most certainly not about Slavery (though we today can look back and say it was in their faces). Slavery was merely a dividing issue in that it could divide the States.

However, if you were well read, you'd probably have learned long ago that Partisanship was what truly divided the States, not Slavery.

Had there been no Slavery, partisanship would have divided the States geographically over some other issue, this very nearly happened in teh 1800 elections, but the animosity against the Federalists was so great, there was no motion for the larger States to seceded in order to secure a stronger Government for themselves. Almost no one wanted such a thing at that time.

The Civil War was in most, made possible, by immigrants, who did not share the same self-governing principles that the Colonists did, and thus were more liable to support the Federal Army and their agenda (which they did, in fact it is best described of immigrants of that time, mostly Scots and Irish, as taking-up a gun as soon as arriving on-shore).

Like wise, I disagree with your assertion that the State was dominated by 12 families, no Republic is dominated by any family, and Asguard brought that up. In the last 45 years, there have been 9 presidents of which 2 have been directly related, 3 presidents falling into the category of non-direct relationships, 1 being directly appointed to partially over-see the comission on another's Assassination, one gained office by scrupulous means, another gained office through that Assassination. Yet another had a "chance" of re-election because of yet another Assassination, of the brother of the formerly Assassinated President.

That President having had several men of his family in politics of the Nation, and the current President having a Governor in his family.

America has always had a political elite, some-what extended families that have more or less dominated politics.

BUT!

That does not deminish the strength of the people in dictating policy. The South's will to secede was not driven by 12 families, or they would have found themselves shouldering-arms alone.

Thirdly, to address "biased resource", the book from which I took the snippets of quotes is certainly from a biased author, but the raw data to look at (which he himself admits can not tell the actual or full story, we must merely piece together what we can), does not suggest that the Slavery of the time was the brutal institution that the Abolitionists wanted the nation to believe, or the same as the Apartheid was.

However, I also do not make it out to be a "good institution", nor does he, it merely is somewhere between on that level. If slavery is wrong, it is wrong for having someone your property, regardless of how well you take care of them or treat them, not allowing them to leave for more imopverished lifestyles by styles of their choosing, is the crime.

That is not, however, a demonic thing, it is something that continues to this day (2 million people are traded on the world's slave trade every year, reports the National Geographic.)

Human nature is to own things, and people try to own eachother, then it was out-right owning of a person.

Today it is the endebting of people to other entities, usually in the form of Banks.

Finally, Spyke, I want to see you specifically quote where the Confederate Constitution said no State may abolish Slavery, because I don't see it.

15. Undecided Banned Banned

First, Undecided, that's absolutely not true, the South came out of their War for Independence without any debts. It was not until after the first Reconstruction Act that the South became unable to pay for all its needs.

I never insuinated anything about debt and the South in my post…that’s the first thing. Secondly I just finished reading an extensive history of the American economy, what I do know is this:

The situation was desperate in the South:

The end of the Southern economy:

The South in retrospect stood no chance against the financial resources of the North, the only way the South could have probably won (which really meant being able to weather the Unions financial resources, and élan) is by a huge influx of capital by a major European power, and if those European powers accepted the South as a independent nation. To my imagination the South should it have gotten its independence would be the American equivalent of South Africa, and at that would have been a eugenic nation, although I believe that slavery would be outmoded by the end of the 19th century in the South, rights for non-whites would be a long time coming, it took South Africa until 1994 to get rid of apartheid.

16. FreeMason Registered Senior Member

First, I only assumed you must have been angling that the South was "bankrupt" because otherwise there is no point to what you posted? Their ability to manage finance worked within the South, which was what was important due to their nature of international trade. Which as an after-thought, I recall a case between the US and a defendent from Britain who had been trading with the South, if I'm not incorrect, though, they traded in raw goods. He would sell them arms and other supplies, running the blockade, and they'd in turn give him cotton and etc. (State of Alabama). It's foolish to think that coin is the only form of currency...it's just easier (as you were explaining in liquidity).

How do you expect us to cross-reference you with that method of citation...Gordon? Gordon who? You left out the actual reference.

Anyway, I don't think exactly what you're arguing is an issue. The Continental Congress went through the same thing, I'd argue that the South was more financial savvy than just what Gordan claims, but then when you read John C. Calhoun's letters with John Alexander in 1841(?) about some banking problems in the State of Mississippi, they probably were not as well developed as those who followed Hamilton's methods in the North.

But, Hamilton bailed out the US, prior to that, they were in the same predicament.

It didn't help the South any that they were completely lacking in any source of Gold or Silver of any significance, so claiming that fiat money was due to incompetancy is odd, and we do use fiat money today.

By Gordan's definition (which I find to be wrong, or lacking, I haven't read any more than what you have posted so I'm not sure) of a 3rd world nation the US is a 3rd world nation. The US, most of production is owned by an elite, we have not "desperate poverty" but we have a large gap in wealth, and what is produced or how has nothing to do with the actual position of a nation in the "worlds". (another debate though for that

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

Now, sure, I'll agree, financially the South was worse off, but they were fighting at a time where that did not matter so much, most of the South's equipment was captured from the Union forces. Today, a powerful economy does matter in War, at that time, not so much so as did a population. Though the Northern Economy certainly helped.

And yes, let me remind you that the Apartheid did not last even past the Generation that enacted it. You may say it lasted until 1994, but you have to look at when it began (which I can't remember specifically, 1940s or 1950s.)

It was gotten rid of by whites and blacks alike, popularly disavowed.

There is no reason to believe the South would have maintained such a long system as well. Would they have needed outside pressure? Sure, but they already had it, that pressure was felt every day that the British did not recognize their independence.

I do attribute their failure, to their pride, or stupidity, however you wish to explain their stalwart defense of that tradition.

17. from my standpoint, anyone that defends the South's insurrection against the central government, is biased; there was no reason to secede from the Union, those people that fomented revolution, were hotheads, they could not see a way to resolve issues, & if you understand politics, why it's about compromise, you fight, argue, make deals, work it out. If they had had people like Jefferson, Washington & all those Southern thinkers, why, I think they would have come up with another solution, especially, if they had thought about what a problem it would be in the future for the country, what do you think?
    to put it in present tense, in todays world, look at what happens when you control both Houses, the Supreme Court & the Prez, so under those conditions FreeMason, would you suggest that the Blue States secede also? I mean, those “Red” people don't speak from me; the S. Court, the Congress & Prez are anti-Blue, anti-me, anti-almost everything I believe in, I must be free from their control, start the 'Revolution', I want my freedom, what do you think?

so, if slavery was legal today, would you own one? Do you think its 'right'?

At Rio Hondo Junior College in Whittier, Cal, one of the History profs, said that Lincoln was against slavery, not for what we all think was the reason, but because he felt that it was going to be applied to 'Whites' too, that there were enough poor people that they could be 'indentured' soon. Look at the Appalachian & Ozarks regions, yahoo!! are we ready for Hillbilly slaves!!!

18. Undecided Banned Banned

First, I only assumed you must have been angling that the South was "bankrupt" because otherwise there is no point to what you posted?

The South was unable to win the war because of her innate financial inferiority which exists to this day. Wars are won by economics, who can produce more of a weapon, who can produce more technological innovations to give that nation a cutting edge, who is more able to weather the collapse of international trade, and which nation's society is more stable. The South lacked in all these areas, and I give much credit to the South for being to last as long as she did, unless the South got major international support she was destined to fail.

How do you expect us to cross-reference you with that method of citation...Gordon? Gordon who? You left out the actual reference.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060093625/102-1096471-0964134?v=glance

It didn't help the South any that they were completely lacking in any source of Gold or Silver of any significance, so claiming that fiat money was due to incompetancy is odd, and we do use fiat money today.

It was the way the South spent it way through the war, great nations like Britian and the Northern Union won wars by their ability to raise capital, and not loot and steal. The ability to raise debt was nessecary, and nessecity the South could not copy from the North. There was no Middle class in the Southern state's, there were only a few who could actually purchase bonds. The North was a different story, she raised most of her funds through taxes and debt, not fiat money.

By Gordan's definition (which I find to be wrong, or lacking, I haven't read any more than what you have posted so I'm not sure) of a 3rd world nation the US is a 3rd world nation.

He didn't say the US was a third world nation, he said the South was a 3rd world nation.

Now, sure, I'll agree, financially the South was worse off, but they were fighting at a time where that did not matter so much, most of the South's equipment was captured from the Union forces. Today, a powerful economy does matter in War, at that time, not so much so as did a population. Though the Northern Economy certainly helped.

It did matter, because it is regularly noted that the American civil war was the first modern war, it wasn't won by battles so much as by economics, and stragety.

And yes, let me remind you that the Apartheid did not last even past the Generation that enacted it. You may say it lasted until 1994, but you have to look at when it began (which I can't remember specifically, 1940s or 1950s.)

That was only because of international pressures, it would still be around today if it wasn't for the worldwide effort to stamp it out. Apartheid really started much further back in the 20's it got its catchy name in the time frame alluded too.

There is no reason to believe the South would have maintained such a long system as well. Would they have needed outside pressure? Sure, but they already had it, that pressure was felt every day that the British did not recognize their independence.

Then why would the South even exist? The existential reason d'etre of the South was black suppression if that was gone, why would the South be independant?

19. Spyke Registered Senior Member

Isn't that exactly what I said? I noted that there were several issues that had caused 40 years of sectionalism. But the slavery issue, other than the tariff issue, which had been there through the 1820s, came to a head in 1832 with the nullification crisis, and then died down with the Clay/Calhoun compromise, was the cause of the most heated congressional debates between 1820 and 1860. If you take away the issue of slavery the South would not have seceeded. Remember, when South Carolina threatened to secede in 1832 over tariff's and a state's right to secede if it disagreed with a law, Calhoun had to back down because no other southern state was willing to back that threat.

And if you were well read, you would know that Calhoun, when he failed to gain southern support for secession in the tariff nullification crisis, decided to make slavery a major issue because he knew that if slavery were threatened he could gain more southern support.

But there were so many crises over slavery betwen 1820-1860, more so than over any other issue:

Missouri Compromise in 1820 - slavery not allowed in Louisiana Compromise territory above the 36*30" parallel (Missouri's southern border)
    Annex Mexico - Southern states called for annexation of Mexico during Mexican-American War so as to carry slavery there
    Wilmot Proviso - Introduced by Northern Democrat to prevent slavery from being allowed in territories annexed from Mexico. Long fight in Congress results in uneasy compromise
    Bleeding Kansas - brutal fighting in state over whether it will be a free state or slave state. Congress rejects state constitution, which protects slavery, when discovered Missouri slavery supporters illegally stuffed ballots
    Dred Scott decision - Supreme Court basically says Missouri Compromise is illegal, that Congress had no right to ban slavery from any state
    John Brown's Raid - Brown, the anti-slavery zealot, attempts raid into Virginia to start a slave insurrection. Fails, and he is executed. Southern leaders accuse Republican party of being behind it.
    Lincoln-Douglas debates - For Douglas' Illinois Senate seat - the central issue of the seven debates becomes the issue of slavery. Douglas a Democrat) issues his famous Freeport Doctrine. When Lincoln asks him how territories could keep slavery out, in light of the Dred Scott decision, Douglas states that if those territories don't enact slave codes then slaveowners will never risk bringing their 'property' into those territories with out some sort of protection. This causes a major rift in the Democratic party, angering southern Democrats.
    1860 presidential election - Southern Democrats refuse to support Douglas, who is nominated at the Democrat's convention, for president. Instead, they walk out of the convention and nominate John Breckenridge, a southerner who supports slavery, for president. The Democrats actually have 2 presidential candidates in the 1860 election. The Constitutional Union party, which is anti-secession, also enters the race and draws enoguh votes away from Breckenridge that Lincoln, despite the fact that the Republican party is strictly a regional party, with support only in the North, is able to win with less than 40% of the popular vote.

So please. Let's not suggest that slavery was not an issue.

That's an irrelevant argument. There were always inflammatory issues, but none ever so continuous as the slavery issue.

Immigrants had nothing to do with the war decision. They took up arms off the boats because most of them, especially the Irish, arrived dirt poor, and were met on the docks by recruiters offering them pay for joining the army and waiving the normal naturalization process.

As I said, read Wm. Davis's Look Away. He gives an excellent account, complete with personal letters of those families. And South Carolina did not have a Republican form of government pre-Civil War. Those wealthy families easily bought votes in large blocks if they were challenged by non-slaveowning candidates.

I didn't say those 12 families alone drove the South to secede. I merely noted how few people actually controlled state governments in the South. Each of the southern states, especially the Deep South states that were dominated by cotton, had their own ruling elite. It was easy for those in power in those states, through their own propaganda campaigns, to say that if Lincoln, the candidate of the anti-slave party, were to be elected, then slavery would be challenged in the South, despite Lincoln's protestations. But those same Southern leaders had accused the Republican party of sponsoring John Brown's raid in 1857. They argued that if Lincoln was elected, there would be more raids into the South. They also claimed that if the Republicans gained power, they would pay the Upper South states to abolish slavery, where they were much fewer, which could give the anti-slavery North enough support among states to pass an amendment abolishing slavery. It wasn't that hard to scare slaveowners into believing secession was the only way to protect the institution.

It also really wasn't hard to convince many of those yeoman farmers to go along with it since those who weren't slaveowners always held out that they would one day. And the poor white trash had no problem with slavery because as long as slavery existed they weren't at the bottom of society.

This is in Section IX of the CSA Constitution:

4. No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves, shall be passed.
    http://www.law.ou.edu/hist/csa.constitution.html

That seems to me to read that no state can pass a law denying the right of an individual to own slaves.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  20. candy Valued Senior Member

There is no way to make slavery a good thing.
    It is morally wrong whether you own 1 person or 500.
    It can also be noted that some states went so far as to ban giving freedom to slaves.

21. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

The Confederacy was a lot more than slavery. That we see it as such suggests fearful, cowering judgmentalism... I'd like to see the Confederate governmental model instead of the all-powerful Federal centralized entity, for example.

22. Spyke Registered Senior Member

Take out the clauses that protected slavery and the CSA Constitution was a pretty good document, because it was more of a reflection of the states' rights philosophy of the Articles of Confederation.

23. Beryl WWAD What Would Athelwulf Do? Registered Senior Member

Freemason: I love you.

Okay, that might be a bit of overkill, but the point is I agree with you. I don't know much about the Civil War, but what I do know is atleast outside the (mostly untrue) things that children are generally taugh in school and thus that society believes.

The minute I start trying to tell someone that I think the South was actually more in the right than the North, they look at me like I just said "let's legalize slavery again" and won't listen to anything else I say. Of course, they don't really listen to what I say before then, because I generally don't start discussions off with "the South was right" since I know how they'll react...

(End of part to Freemason, the rest is just for the general purposes of the thread.)

The war wasn't about slavery. The North didn't care about the slaves... one source I read said that the Emancipation Proclamation was mostly to keep Europe from getting involved, and anyhow it wasn't written until the middle of war. The South was fighting for their own freedom, and the North was fighting to keep them from it, not to free the slaves. Also (I know people are likely to get very accusative on me about this, but I'm saying this anyhow) slavery wasn't as bad as we're encouraged to believe. Just think about it... there would be no logical reason to majorly mistreat slaves. The majority of slaves were treated as well as the majority of free southerners... granted, there weren't any wealthy slaves, but they were at least getting fed and clothed which was pretty hard to come by for a lot of southerners. Slavery has a ton of potential to go majorly bad, but it doesn't always. It's wrong, but the South would have done away with it eventually on their own.

So, I think the South was more in the right than the North.