The Next Big Scientific[Cosmological] Breakthrough?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by paddoboy, Nov 21, 2017.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-james-webb-space-telescope-cryogenic.html

James Webb Space Telescope completes final cryogenic testing
    November 20, 2017 by Eric Villard

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

NASA's James Webb Space Telescope sits inside Chamber A at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston after having completed its cryogenic testing on Nov. 18, 2017. This marked the telescope's final cryogenic testing, and it ensured the observatory is ready for the frigid, airless environment of space. Credit: NASA/Chris Gunn
    The vault-like, 40-foot diameter, 40-ton door of Chamber A at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston was unsealed on November 18, signaling the end of cryogenic testing for NASA's James Webb Space Telescope.

The historic chamber's massive door opening brings to a close about 100 days of testing for Webb, a significant milestone in the telescope's journey to the launch pad. The cryogenic vacuum test began when the chamber was sealed shut on July 10, 2017. Scientists and engineers at Johnson put Webb's optical telescope and integrated science instrument module (OTIS) through a series of tests designed to ensure the telescope functioned as expected in an extremely cold, airless environment akin to that of space.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-11-james-webb-space-telescope-cryogenic.html#jCp

Webb is expected to launch from Kourou, French Guiana, in the spring of 2019.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I tip that along with the momentous findings/discoveries of COBE, WMAP, aLIGO and associated gravitational wave detectors, GP-B, the LHC and other particle accelerators, the HST, and the ISS, that the JWST will prove invaluable and revealing in new discoveries, data and knowledge.
    well worth every penny spent to get it into operational mode and orbit.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river

The next big cosmological break though , is the includence of Cosmic Plasmas in the cosmological Universe theory .

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Well since most of the experiments I outlined have gone to further strengthen the BB and GR, and since the Plasma and/or Electric model was debunked and refuted 30 or so years ago, and since the BB already encompasses Cosmic Plasmas, I see your chances of that being true as between slim and highly unlikely.

By the way, this thread is about the promotion of the next big science experiment, [JWST] not for you to push discarded alternative hypotheticals.

8. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Can anyone summarise what this James Webb telescope is intended to achieve?

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

One of the prime missions is that it will be able to see right through and into massive solar nebula and clouds of dust that are opaque to the HST.......
    or better yet see......
    https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/

10. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Right, so it is a near and mid IR telescope and spectrometer.

I presume it is said to be able to see through dust on the basis that Rayleigh scattering goes up with the 4th power of frequency, so in the IR there is very little.

11. orcot Valued Senior Member

Espresso might also reveal some earth like planets.
    2018 will see some lunar toerism altough it's in elon time. ( he will get their late but fasther than anyone really expected) It might lead to funding for "bigelow" and a space hotel that would provide regular flights and therfore cheaper rockets.
    we will probably see a driverless truck delivering a payed payload somewhere.

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The more funding for space exploration the better...otherwise I havn't a clue what you are on about.

13. orcot Valued Senior Member

espresso is basically a (earthbased) telescope upgrade that can detect earth like planets (in time) I think it's interesting. The james webb telescope is certainly spectacular but isn't the only high valued mission for the near future.

I was thinking abouth posting something on the return of the manned "american" space vehicle with space x and I wanted to check if it was for 2018 (it is by the way) but google "crewed spacex" and the first hit is abouth his proposed mannend mission beyond the moon. Space tourism is exciting and their could be some real demand for it. The real bottleneck is still sending mass up into space and having cheaper rockets is all great but toerism revenu could difinitly help things moving forwards

14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The more the merrier I say...There's plenty of money being wasted elsewhere that would do better going into all forms of space exploration and research.

15. orcot Valued Senior Member

we need a economy something to make money and fancly something to spend less money. I think the basic concept of the space shuttle was a good id (reusable) but sometinh space x does far better. Getting into space cheaply is important. And having a economial purpose there is swell.
    The moon and low earth orbit gives us the possibility for tourisme. Mars can't deliver on this front.
    Whilst space x performs well in getting mass cheaper to orbit that anyone else, you simply can't bead the moon, it's as simple as a 11 km/s with a atmosphere and 2,38k and no atmosphere. Even usain bolt against a cheetah doesn't compare on the advantage.
    The moon is low on volatiles like water that said it's a lifeless chunk of rock their is little danger of having a comet impact in one of the polar shades with enough water to fuel a space economy for several centuries.
    Global warming is probably going to happen no matter what we do (that doesn't mean we should do anything) there will be a market for solar shades. Bringing that much mass into orbit is simply cheaper from the moon.
    Elon musk ones said that orbital power station are a no go even tough they receive power 24/7 efficiencies in beaming the power towards earth make it non economical even if you neglect the launch costs. But if you could install reflectors either in space or on the moon that beam extra light and energy towards the financial scale might tip in favor of space.

we aren't there yet

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. river

To strenghten BB and GR , not surprised . You know to keep you in the dark about what is really going on out there .

Cosmic Plasma and Electric Universe theory has not been bebunked , and is actually gaining recognition .

17. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

It probably has not been debunked because it is not a complete theory.

Again posting this in the science section is not good.
    Honestly at the moment many are involved in the question of getting rid of the fringe and I suggest that is brought about by posting non mainstream in mainstream.
    You could open a thread...
    In fringe someplace..
    Going like this....
    I have read such and such in the maths section, science whatever and I present my thoughts ...then have your say against the main stream bit you reject.
    I don't want to see you banned for one nor do I want, what I would see as an overreaction, of the site getting rid of the fringe.
    Alex

18. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I expect you like this place and what I suggest I think would be helpful.
    Alex

19. river

Alex your being nasty . You are trying to be subliminal .

Fuck-off

20. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Proposition one.
    I am sorry you interpret my attempt to help both you and the site as nasty and ask that you give further thought to what I said.
    Proposition two.
    I reject your observation and would encourage you not to be so negative.
    Proposition three.
    If you want to insult me that's OK but you will find that perhaps your attempts will backfire on you.

Alex

21. Bells Staff Member

Mod Note

Absolutely uncalled for and unnecessary.

If you are going to post fringe type subjects, please stick to the Fringe sub-forum and stop infecting the science forums with them.

exchemist likes this.
  22. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Prophetic words, O Bearded One!