The Motor Boat

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Motor Daddy, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

So I give the same answer: 101.4 minutes.

MD, don't make me card you. You're crossing a line into troll territory. I'm locking this thread for a day, to give you time to read about marine navigation. You might also like to get yourself a remote control boat and a stopwatch, get out of your armchair, and do some science.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Motor Daddy:

Obviously, others have already tried to walk you through this simple problem since I was last here. But I'll add my comments, just for good measure, in the expectation that nothing will sink in with you, as usual.

Right.

That depends on who is doing the measuring. It's completely off topic for this thread, though. We don't need to consider special relativity here - just plain old Galilean/Newtonian relativity, which ought to work even in the Motor Daddy universe - if only you could get your brain around your own theory as well as everybody else here can.

Then you work in the embankment frame, same as you do if the embankment has zero velocity, and you get the same answer as before. The embankment velocity with respect to "space" is completely irrelevant to the stated problem. The stated problem only asks for the speed of the current relative to the embankment.

It doesn't. We don't need Einstein's theory here, since the speeds are so low. We can even use Motor Daddy physics and things will work out just fine. In fact, that's all I did in posting my original solution above. Did you see anything about length contraction or time dilation there? No, because it wasn't needed. Those effects are there, of course, but in this problem they are utterly insignificant. Besides, you're nowhere near equipped to deal with the relativistic corrections in this problem, when you can't even get to first base and solve the thing using your own Galilean theory variant.

The length of what?

You seem to be wanting to go off on irrelevant tangents to avoid looking at the actual problem of this thread. Why?

Just solve the problem in the opening post. Then we can worry about all this extraneous rubbish you want to introduce. You need to walk before you can run.

When there's a current, the boat goes slower upstream than downstream. Do you agree?

Can you then see that it can't possibly take the same time in both directions?

Is this really so hard for you? I mean, all it takes is basic common sense and everyday experience. We're not doing rocket science here.

If you're using a marine speedometer to measure the boat speed in the water, then it can ONLY measure the speed relative to the water. How could it possibly know what a distant embankment is doing, let alone "space"? It's just a little propeller that is pushed around by the water going past (or something of that sort).

It's just like how it's "natural" for your car's speedometer to "pretend" that the road is not moving. How can the car's speedo know anything about the road's motion through "space"? It can't.

I'm sure you believe what your speedo tells you when you're trying to avoid getting a speeding fine, Motor Daddy. But how can you possibly trust it? You don't know how fast your car is going relative to "space", so your speedo is useless. Right?

I have no problem with that. That's what the problem is about. You need to know the boat's speed according to the embankment to solve the problem. Like I showed earlier. And like everybody else has explained to you. 8 + 3.27 = 11.27. Remember?

There was no assumption about the 3.27. That was what we calculated from the given information.

You've lost track of the problem now. Go back to post #1 of this thread and read the problem.

The boat's speed relative to water - whether that water is flowing at 3.27 km/hr or at 1 billion km/hr or zero km/hr - is measured to be 8 km/hr. The problem then asks us to calculate the water's speed relative to the embankment.

Right!

That's why we needed the information about the boat's speed relative to the water as well.

The boat's marine speedometer tells us! It is 8 km/hr.

Just look at it! A wonder of modern engineering.

Yes there is. I just saw it on the speedometer reading as the boat was travelling up the river.

Why? 8 + 3.27 = 11.27, doesn't it?

Relative to the embankment, yes.

What else would you expect?[/quote]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

James, you're confused.

The water is traveling past the embankment at 3.27km/hr. Correct?

If the boat's speed relative to the water was 3.27km/hr, the boat would be motoring against the current facing upstream, at part throttle, but the boat would not be traveling upstream relative to the embankment, it would remain stationary to the embankment, correct?

So at part throttle the boat remains stationary along the embankment in current water. The boat's speedometer reads 3.27 km/hr, but it is not moving along the embankment. Do you agree?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Why do you think so?

Hooray! Yes!

8. IncogNegro Banned Banned

Let me try this again, but instead of allowing two or three people to resolve it I'll just do it myself.

A^2+b^2=c^2

A and b are two equal points an infinite distance away from our boat traveling at c.

How fast is our boat going with respect to the change in A and B?

9. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

Wow! This is so beyond woo. Congratulations.

10. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Because of his statements.

11. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

What statements in particular?

12. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

The "8+3.27" concept in his statements.

13. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

What's confusing about 8 + 3.27 = 11.27 ?

14. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Nothing. It's perfectly clear to me. The boat's speedometer is measuring the water speed, not the boat speed. So when the boat's speedometer reads 11.27km/hr it means the water is traveling 11.27km/hr.

15. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

The boat's speedometer measures the boat speed relative to the water. The speedometer of the boat in the OP reads 8 km/hr, not 11.27 km/hr.

Now, what in James statements makes you think he is confused? Answer clearly please MD, I tire of your games.

16. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

The OP states:
    You say the boat travels 8km/hr in still water. How does the speedometer know the difference between still water and current water?

17. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

It doesn't. Why do you think it does? A Chip log is a simple type of speedometer. For our boat, it measures a speed (relative to the water) of 8km/hr.

18. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Right, so where does the "still water" come into play, and how was it measured?

19. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

Even if we had a speedometer that could tell the difference, couldn't we do without it?

20. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

MD, this has been covered several times. I really don't know why it's a problem.
    You drive the boat in still water, and measure its speed (8km/hr). You can measure this stillwater speed any way you like.
    Then, you drive it up and down the river. If the boat has a speedometer, it reads 8km/hr the whole way.

21. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

The speedometer reads 8km/hr at WOT, and that's a relative speed of the boat to the water. So evidently the maximum relative speed of the boat to the water was tested and found to be 8km/hr at WOT. Is that your story?

22. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

What is WOT?

23. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Wide Open Throttle. Full throttle. Nothing left to give. That's it! Giving it everything she's got! Pedal to the metal! Full bore!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.