The Most Influential Person In History Is...

Discussion in 'History' started by darksidZz, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

if you mean by influence of his claiming to be followers on world, that is probably correct, but not by "body count" of the followers. Also IMHO, most publically claiming to be followers of Christ are not. Most, like GWB, think "Turn the other Cheek" is an instruction to see if there is something else over in that direction to profitablely bomb.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Siegfried Marcus - who was the first to put a mobile gasoline engine onto a handcart.

Several people (including Leonardo da Vinci) had a hand in developing the internal combustion engine (Nikolaus Otto, Daimler and Benz being the obvious ones) but it was Siegfried Marcus who made the first step in revolutionising travel beyond compare by putting the engine onto a handcart!... and in doing so would help fuel (pun intended) several national economies almost exclusively, cause numerous wars and help drive the environment to partial ruin.

God bless the car!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Nice... That is possibly the most influential invention ever. and to this day continues to influence modern society.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

This strikes me as being like the steam engine debate...in that you can always find an earlier inventor to credit instead. For example, why not give the credit to Joseph Cugnot for inventing what was likely the first automobile (around 1769)? Why give the glory to the man who first used gasoline as fuel?

8. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

If we are going to single out the fact explotation of oil has greatly transformed the world, why not Howard Hughs? He invented the first really good rotating drill bit head and some other things related.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

has anyone mentioned the guy who invented teh cell phone. That just exploded across the planet.

10. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Personally, I'd go with Philo Farnsworth and the television over the cell phone guy.

11. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

'Cos of the significance of the "gasoline" element.
    Merely using coal, or wood to produce the steam, hasn't quite had the same impact.

So it is not the motorised vehicle per se, but the combination of the vehicle and the fuel.

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Indeed, that is what I meant.

And I took into account that currently the 'christian' ideology is ruling the world, although it has of course nothing to do with the original teachings of Christ.

Of course all could change in 50 years. Maybe we will see a muslim dominated world, or China will be topdog and then I will have to pick someone else, were it not for the fact that I probably will be dead by then.

13. pennylane1101 Registered Member

Johannes Gutenberg- brought knowledge to the masses with the printing press.