The Most Influential Person In History Is...

Discussion in 'History' started by darksidZz, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Brazil for last 16 years, but USA before that. I did lot of travel while single in Europe on EuroRail passes, married a Norwegian as first wife now married to Brazian beauty with Ph.D, like me but hers in in education.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Cool

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So people in Brazil make fun of polish people ? Or did I misunderstand ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Definitely not. Brazil even lent a lot of money to Poland, when it hardly had any itself. (probably a lot came back under the table - Brazil's leadership is very corrupt)

I was refering to the Americans preference for making fun of the Poles.
    Here in Brazil they make fun of the Portuguese. If I can remember example, will post later.

My favorite "Polish joke" was almost non verbal:
    A real coffee cup made with the handle on the inside and "Polish Design" printed on the outside. A friend, a good natured Pole, keep his pencils and pens in it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2007
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ah ok. Thanks

8. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Could not remember any so from Brazilain Google, here are 7 (from first hit of 100s):

LAUGHTER ONE
    A married couple was asleep when the phone rang at 2 in the morning. The wife (undoubtedly Portuguese), picked up the phone, listened a moment and said, "How should I know, that's 200 miles from here!" and hung up. The husband asked, "Who was that?" The wife said, "I don't know, some woman wanting to know ‘if the coast is clear.'"

TWO
    Two Portuguese women are walking down the street. One notices A compact on the sidewalk and leans down to pick it up. She opens it, looks in the mirror and says, "Hmm, this person looks familiar." The second Portuguese says, "Here, let me see!" So the first Portuguese hands her the compact. The second one looks in the mirror and says, "You dummy, it's me!"

THREE
    A Portuguese woman suspects her boyfriend of cheating on her, so she goes out and buys a gun. She goes to his apartment unexpectedly and when she opens the door she finds him in the arms of a redhead. Well, the Portuguese woman is really angry. She opens her purse to take out the gun, and as she does so, she is overcome with grief. She takes the gun and puts it to her head. The boyfriend yells, "No, honey, don't do it." The Portuguese replies, "Shut up, you're next!"

FOUR
    A Portuguese woman was bragging about her knowledge of state capitals. She proudly says, "Go ahead, ask me, I know all of them." A friend says, "OK, what's the capital of Wisconsin?" The Portuguese replies, "Oh, that's easy: W."

FIVE
    What did the Portuguese woman say to her doctor when he told her she was pregnant? "Is it mine?"

SIX
    A Portuguese woman had just totaled her car in a horrific accident. Miraculously, she managed to pry herself from the wreckage without a scratch and was applying fresh lipstick when the state trooper arrived. "My God!" the trooper gasped. Your car looks like an accordion that was stomped on by an elephant. "Are you OK ma'am?" "Yes, officer, I'm just fine" the Portuguese chirped. "Well, how in the world did this happen?" the officer asked as he surveyed the wrecked car. Officer, it was the strangest thing!" the Portuguese began. "I was driving along this road when from out of nowhere this TREE pops up in front of me. So I swerved to the right, and there was another tree! I swerved to the left and there was ANOTHER tree! I swerved to the right and there was another tree! I swerved to the left and there was ...." "Uh, ma'am", the officer said, cutting her off, "There isn't a tree on this road for 30 miles. That was your air freshener swinging back and forth."

SEVEN
    Returning home from work, a Portuguese woman was shocked to find her house ransacked and burglarized. She telephoned the police at once and reported the crime. The police dispatcher broadcast the call on the channels, and a K-9 unit patrolling nearby was the first to respond. As the K-9 officer approached the house with his dog on a leash, the Portuguese ran out on the porch, shuddered at the sight of the cop and his dog, then sat down on the steps. Putting her face in her hands, she moaned, "I come home to find all my possessions stolen. I call the police for help, and what do they do? They send me a BLIND policeman!

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

LOL good ones

These are typical blond-jokes too

10. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Sir Ernest Rutherford (discovered the atom in 1938) though you could argue that the Greek scientist/philosopher Democitus came up with atomic theory a long time ago. In fact you could say that the Greek scientists had some pretty modern ideas, they just didn't apply them properly.

Aternative MIPIH
    1) Aleric the Goth (sacked Rome 410 AD)
    2) Alexander the Great
    3) Ghengis Khan
    4) Leonardo da Vinci
    5) Zoroaster, Bhudda, Confucius, Jesus, Mohammed, Baha Ulah, (strictly in order of appearance) (read Karen Armstrong's book The Great Transformation)

11. Xylene Valued Senior Member

I suspect these are jokes the Spanish tell about the Brazilians

12. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Just curious: Why Alaric more than Alexander or Genghis Khan? Alexander crushed the Persian Empire, destroying it utterly. The Mongol Empire was larger than the Roman one (larger than any empire until Britain's), and influenced everything from Russia to China.

13. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Well, I was thinking in terms of the psychological impact of Alaric taking Rome. Admittedly the Roman Empire was a shadow of its former self, but still, Rome was considered by many (in Europe, at least) as the greatest city on Earth at the time, and the capital of an empire which had lasted over 1000 years. So you can imagine the blow it was to people's confidence when a bunch of unruly savages burst in and laid waste to the city.

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

He doesn't even make the top 100. What did he do, that actually EFFECTS people???

15. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Let's get personal, which one you like better?

16. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Adam of 'Adam & Eve'

17. maxg Registered Senior Member

Not that I believe in the story, but wouldn't have Eve been more influential?

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I am not an idiot. - the current wife - is the only safe answer.

19. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

It has been suggested that man first developed agriculture so that he would have a steady supply of beer.

I'm serious:

20. mountainhare Banned Banned

Hitler.

He's like the real world's Voldemort. Everyone winces when someone says the name of 'He who cannot be named'.

21. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Whoever invented the first major alphabet.

22. fo3 acdcrocks Registered Senior Member

Well technically, she is an ancestor of everyone alive, but that doesn't mean that she is the only woman of her time that has descendants in the modern world, she is just the only one that is related to everyone alive today, as opposed to being an ancestor of only a portion of the people alive today. Her death in childhood would not have meant the extinction of humanity, nor would it have meant any detectable change in the genotype of modern humans. The only influence she has would be accounted to the butterfly effect.

More generally, I would argue that in the long run, the influences of single people will be purely statistical, and no single action is significant enough to solely account for any major changes in the history. I would say that it is not a coincidence that most of the people suggested in this thread have lived rather recently, or are even alive at the moment. In the short run, Einstein was of course of huge influence to the science, technology and the entire world, but in the long run, relativity would have been constructed in more or less the same form, and in the time frame of hundreds and thousands years, it would have been of little relevance, and any random person dying before the publishing of the theory of relativity could have eventually had the same effect as the death of Einstein himself.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

probably jesus.