The most absurd moderation in Sci history

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Norsefire, Aug 5, 2010.

1. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

LOL, if that's the worst example you can find to tar joepistole with, then you've just proved that he is indeed an upstanding contributor :]

First and last, I'd note. He's hardly being argumentative there - he expresses approval at the release of the girls, and attributes it as a foreign policy success for Obama (something he also aknowledges being happy about). So what? He said what he thinks, honestly, and left it at that. There's no refusal to consider other points of view, confrontational repetition, etc.

You seem to have joepistole confused with Ganymede. Joepistole only made the one post in that thread.

Joepistole is up-front about what he believes, argues cogently, and is (in my experience anyway) generally restrained and respectful. I'm not sure what more you can ask of people here. Not everyone is here to reappraise their entire worldview, but so long as they also aren't here to beat others over the head with it I don't see the problem.

You, on the other hand, seem to have a rather serious control-freak/paranoia issue plaguing you. The silly attempts to present yourself as spokesman for some sort of elite community, the pretension to "own" threads (see language above), the wildly misplaced accusations about joepistole, etc. You're clearly here to preach (which is okay, as such) but it seems to trouble you when you encounter people who aren't here to listen uncritically to sermons.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

SAM:

Yes. See my previous post.

No.

Hate speech will be moderated.

What, that the Jews were responsible for the Holocaust?

Tell you what, SAM. Why don't you post your evidence that they were, and I'll respond. That's what Norsefire was asked to do.

Do you wish to repeat his claim and defend it?

What's your historical perspective, SAM? Is it antisemitic? Because that's what I'm seeing, reading between the lines.

Do you think the Jewish people brought the Holocaust on themselves by their own actions? At least tell me what you really believe, even if you have no supporting evidence.

WillNever:

Interesting that you think we're limited. My perspective is that Norsefire is limited. He flips from one idea that he fixates on to the next regularly, whenever he learns something new. He's like a kid who believes that whatever he found out most recently is, like, the best. He is excited by ideas, but not very well read. He cherry picks and ignores things that might challenge whatever idea he has the warm fuzzies about at the time.

Maybe you're limited, WillNever. Have you considered that?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Something, something, Burt Ward

Has Norse had his turn in the About the Members threads? I don't recall that we've had one for a while.

In a way, it seems—or, perhaps, feels—if not inevitable, then at least somewhat expected. Sometimes we, as a staff, offer some canned answers to inquiries and, knowing S.A.M., we should expect that eventually she would pick up on some of the inconsistencies that result from those points. And while I certainly can't map it from the front side—nor, at present, after the fact—it does not surprise me that the route eventually led to the inquiry at #145 above.

Maybe I'm just cynical, and the outcome is coincidental. I just remember biting my tongue at some point in reading S.A.M. and James' conversation, and deciding to try to stay out of it. Naturally, I did not follow my instinct. And, yes, as soon as James said, "You're making an incorrect assumption there," I knew this one would get sticky. And, in truth, so far it hasn't been all that bad. But I suppose that's actually beside the point.

For my part, it is often unclear just what I have learned until the point is irrelevant.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. WillNever Valued Senior Member

You view consistent and irrational pro Obama thread hijacking as an upstanding contribution...? You wouldn't be letting your personal political swayings seep into your judgment here, woud you be..?
    You are right... therefore, we should add Ganymede to my list of trash-posters. Joepistole for the hijacking, Ganymede for telling someone how they would react, accompanied by a lack of evidence.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Perhaps you have me confused with someone else, quad. Control-freak issues? Who or what have I attempted to control? What have I been paranoic about? Do you have evidence of either of these things? Show me the evidence, then. Have we even met in another thread besides this one..?

8. WillNever Valued Senior Member

I have noticed that about Norse too. It simply means that he is a highly mutable person who improves his understanding of the world with every new thing he learns. It means that his intelligence has not become crystallized yet, as has irreversibly taken place in many of the aged posters on the site, who are perhaps jealous as a result.

9. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

If you consider someone stating a simple, straightforward opinion - and then bowing out - as "hijacking" then you have bigger problems than any one poster here. And let's note that you've hijacked this very thread.

Just look at your statements in this thread: the insistence that any thread you start is "yours" and so that any voicing of any opinion you do not approve of represents a challenge to your rightful "control." And in hysterical terms no less: joepistole posts a single sentence stating his view, and this gets interpretted by you as "hijacking," and then you declare him an ideological enemy and go around trashing his name in other, unrelated threads. And not only that: you go so far as to post links to that thread as if there's something to see there, without even bothering to review and notice that you're confusing joepistole with Ganymede. It looks an awful lot like paranoid ideation to me.

Several times. And you've evinced total ignorance of me every single one of those times... which is another troubling sign.

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

11. WillNever Valued Senior Member

You seem fixated on that event Tiassa -- moreso than most anyone else on this forum. Hardly anyone but you marks that event now. Meanwhile, several people in High Society group supported my actions in that event... and I still do. However, in what way does it exemplify control freak issues?

Or are you simply attempting to immaturely character snipe..?

How so? This thread is not about me. I have kept it that way. Two people have tried to divert the subject on to me again, however, due to their staunch unwillingness to argue the points.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Are you amnesiac?

That you started expelling members who dissented from your "Official Statement".

13. WillNever Valued Senior Member

You are revising, Tiassa. At least two people who dissented are still with us. I expelled only those who, *in* their dissent, showed disrespect toward members of the group or the ideals of the group.

14. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

This thread also isn't about parmesan cheese, but the fact that you haven't made it about parmesan cheese doesn't mean you haven't hijacked it.

This thread was not about joepistole, but you have made it about him. That is a hijack.

And, yes, I'm a champion derailer myself, with an illustrious history of hijackings. Call me a hypocrit all you want (I'll just point out that you're the only one who's complained about hijacking), but don't doubt my acumen in recognizing a derail.

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

(chortle!)

Thank you for making the point for me.

16. WillNever Valued Senior Member

You shouldn't thank me because I didn't.

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Laser up!

Whatever you say, Will. That's how it goes, right?

18. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Yes, it is. I did counter your point though, with the knowledge that respectful dissenters remained. I did do that.

19. Gustav Banned Banned

excellent guys
    now gently coax sam into the fold, give gendy some space and room to maneuver and things are gonna be just.....great!

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Here's my guess. I'm guessing that you're not "aged". I'd put you as early 20s - at least that's how your posts read. And I think that if anybody is jealous, it's probably you, because you lack life experience.

How old do you imagine that I am, by the way? Interesting that you describe me as "aged". I guess that to you, anybody over about 26 seems, like, ancient.

21. WillNever Valued Senior Member

I have not said you were aged. Why: do you see yourself that way?

For the record, 40+ is what I would consider aged.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yes, I think it is. Europeans feel guilty about the Holocaust, this colours all their attitudes to Jews. Asians and Arabs have no guilt and they have a history of colonial repression under the same Europeans, so they don't see why they should have to walk on egg shells or be subjected to ridiculous European standards of what constitutes vacuous meaningless concepts like antisemitism because the holocaust is not sacrosanct to them.

I'm not sure exactly why you banned Norsefire. Unsupported opinions about any group, religious or political are as common as dirt on sciforums and are never challenged. I cannot recall the last time the mods challenged anyone's historical view of anything that didn't concern Jews. And history is hardly written on stone. No one can use any historical claims as definitive evidence because history is what other people say it is. But when it comes to Jews, what you do to any people doesn't count as much as what you say about Jews. You better be on the right side of opinions about Jews or else you're an antisemite. I can actually imagine a visceral reaction in people when they read criticism about Jews. Simply saying the word Jew would bring out the hives. This is a very strange and unique standard. If it was used for any other group, it would be racism.

This is what I mean. We have all these glorious historical facts but does anyone want to lay them on the table? Nope, not one single time.

Its all apparently "understood" that all these glorious historical facts exist...somewhere.

Well since you have given no evidence why you do not believe Norsefire, I shall put both him and you in the same category of "not enough information to make any decision"

The Holocaust card won't work with me. You could just as easily attack me for the 2% aborigines who have no say in their self determination if I describe the high incidence of child abuse in their community.

So yes, I am quite sure that anything to do with Jews, anything at all, if it is negative, "feels like antisemitism" to you. As an Indian, however, I have no need to apologise for being critical of what I see wrong with the religion or culture or politics of Jews simply because you don't have the same freedom.

Yes but you couldn't even bring yourself to call it hate speech when it was not against Jews, so I suppose, yes, hate speech will be moderated, only you reserve the right to decide if the same set of words are hate speech, depending on who is the target.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  23. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Mod Note:

You Report, We Decide.