The morality behind veganism

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by wegs, Oct 8, 2016.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I've been gradually breaking away from meat and dairy, but watching documentaries on the awful conditions and practices taking place on dairy and beef farms, I'm convinced on a moral level about abandoning dairy and beef consumption, completely. I like a lot of the vegetarian ''alternatives'' out there, like veggie burgers, etc. I'm careful to not consume too much soy, as that's not healthy in large amounts. So, I'm looking forward to learning and exploring the different dietary options and making new recipes.

I posted a link above, is that what you are talking about in terms of ''artificial'' meat?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I woud perfer that if i was a cow... how about you.???

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river

Plants are alive as well .

Organic and grass fed cattle and the like are the way to go .

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Yes i agree wit the moral issue... an yes to much tofu can cause issues... an i like most types of vegi-meat products ive tried... i just didnt care for the one that tasted real.!!!

The main ones i eat are mornin star bacon... original grillers... griller crumbles... an the round chic-patty... but i mostly eat a varity of seeds nuts berries (like a bear... lol) fruits vegetables beans... well you get the pitcher... O... an i eat dairy... so i have no prollem gettin the nutrition i need.!!!

8. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Yes... but plants are low on my moral codes importanace as far as eatin 'em goes.!!!

9. river

Of course , because we don't hear their death and suffering .

With Animals we do .

cluelusshusbund likes this.
  10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

So imaginary cow preferences for a cow-free landscape of soybean rows are within your powers, but not imaginary potato preferences for being left alone in the dirt.

cluelusshusbund likes this.
  11. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

@ wegs

Yes the link you posted about artificial meat is what i had in mind.!!!

wegs likes this.
  12. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Hay... i woud perfer to be shot than fattened up for slaughter... an you woudnt.???

13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I don't have a problem honestly with humane, organic farming practices. Just becomes a matter of doing some research as to where the starting point is for your food supply. It can be as simple as looking at various websites of your commonly purchased groceries, and learning about their mission statements and practices. You'd be surprised at how some companies are against factory farms, and only work with farms that believe in the humane treatment of their animals. I've noticed companies that only buy from humane farms, offer pricier goods than their competitors, but the cost incentive is worth peace of mind, in my opinion.

river likes this.
  14. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Its beter than the less humane practices

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I think that's great should a person choose to deny themselves protein because of moral principle. Will it have any real impact on the farm or change the treatment of animals? I doubt it. But I respect your choice not to participate as a consumer. Processed food is a huge industry. I have worked in that arena twice. It is a conveyor process that starts at one side of the plant and ends up nicely packages at the other. I'm not at all surprised that livestock is treated in much the same manner. They are, basically, a commodity in the most practical terms. I suppose we could raise our own, but I think most people would start giving them names and become attached. Also, how many people know how to slaughter a cow?

I enjoy eating the variety of meats that are available, and wouldn't give them up. I understand your feelings concerning the treatment of the animals involved. Unfortunately the cold reality of our day and age is that everything is produced in mass and as efficiently as possible. That includes our food products. However, if you feel strongly about animal cruelty before it hits your plate, I can totally appreciate your resolve.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    wegs likes this.
  16. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I believe a hard boiled egg has more digestible protein than raw or fried.

I've called vegans hypocrites for eating hard boiled eggs.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  17. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

18. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

I guess you could call me a lazy vegetarian, I let the cows eat the plants for me and later I eat the cows.

Truck Captain Stumpy likes this.
  19. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Hell is famous for its cattle. Would you eat the meat of only and if deceitful animals?

20. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

Soylent green??

21. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

Is it?

22. kx000 Valued Senior Member

It truly is, no?

23. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

Well, I suppose they got to eat in hell or they would starve to death. yes?