The Moon does not cause tides: John99 proves science wrong.

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Dywyddyr, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John99 Banned Banned

It is emitting heat, not losing it. A loss would mena its temp. is going down, it isnt.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

It is losing heat - that's why the Earth isn't frozen.
    Its temperature isn't going down because the heat is replaced by the internal processes.
    Again.

I foresee your ban very shortly.
    I could lie and say I'll be sorry to see you go, but in truth all it will mean is a rise in the average IQ of SciForums.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

It simply replaces the heat in an almost constant stream due to the fusion in its core. To emit heat is to loose it, it's not retained, but it's replaced continuously. It is what is called an exothermic reaction in chemistry speak. C'mon John, this is elementary physics, man..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

I know it creates its own energy. How is this not 100% efficiency? A loss brings the percentage down but it makes up for it itself and maintains the same output\level with no outside\external addition. This tells you it is not less than 100% because it would not maintain the level meaning it would be 99% or less.

8. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

One more time:
    Reported.

9. Emil Valued Senior Member

Yes is correct
    but you forget one thing.
    On the "Moon side" the Earth, Moon and Earth's gravitational force have opposite directions so they decrease while on the other side they have the same direction, so they add up.
    So you assert that the earth itself oscillates?

10. Emil Valued Senior Member

The process is very long compared to our perceptions, but the sun is will run out of energy and will cool.

11. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

John, you could just as easily say the sun is 99.9% inefficient because it looses all the energy it makes except what goes into the fusion reaction.

12. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

John99 is a troll plain and simple. If you reply to this post you are feeding the trolls and encouraging them.

13. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

I find it difficult to believe John99 is for real. No one can be that ignorant.

14. John99 Banned Banned

Ultra, you are right. Its the way i go about these theories and my views can be odd but it's not trolling. Got a lot of freedom here though and i apologize for mentioning the PM.

If i add to this it will be less overbearing, it is interesting. For now we can talk about the moon and the tides, especially the earth, sun and moon...what orbits what...i'll get the details. Hopefully find a good animation.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

John99:

The scientific consensus on the matter of tides is that the Moon causes the tides on Earth. The mechanism for this is well understood by physicists.

If you have an alternative explanation, I suggest you present it now. Otherwise, I suggest you retract your claim that the Moon does not cause the tides. Will you retract your claim, given that it is based on nothing but your own ignorance?

You do realise that the following is not an argument, I hope: "I don't know what causes the tides. I don't understand the accepted scientific explanation for the tides. Therefore, because I can't understand how the Moon causes the tides, I will say that the Moon doesn't cause the tides."

Do you understand that this is not a valid argument?

I am on the point of banning you for trolling. But in the back of my mind is some sympathy that says that you might just be supremely ignorant and don't know what constitutes evidence for the mechanism of the tides and what does not. It's ok to admit you don't know. What's not ok is to say you do know and to act all authoritative when you actually have no idea. See?

Define the term "efficiency" for me, John. Or, admit that you have no idea what "efficiency" is. Have you looked up any definitions of the term "efficiency" on the web?

The Sun does not create its own energy. It's impossible to create energy. The Sun does, however, release energy.

You're not even sure what orbits what?

16. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Very nice animations - lots of pretty colors and stuff...

A nice simple one from the work of Russell Kightley. He "has been involved in medical and scientific illustration since 1981 and has used high end computer paint systems since 1985." Note: Requires Apple Quicktime to view. It's a great video, but I suspect John will have "technical" problems. I also anticipate issues with "The scales are approximately correct for the relative sizes of the Earth and moon but the distance between the two has been greatly reduced to fit within a reasonable frame." Ah, well. We do what we can...

John: click here ---> MOON: simplified animation of the Moon orbiting the Earth showing the phases of the moon.

Here you go with your "to scale" animation - more pretty pictures, this time from NCSU. <--- John:click here

Note: Requires download of an .avi movie to view. Same caveats for John.

John - you asked, we delivered - prove your case. Like now...

P.S. John, I'm really enjoying this little chase around the mulberry bush with you and Dywydder. We're on what, the third thread now? I can only hope that my humble contributions are helpful in achieving the goal. You now have been provided with all the material that you requested. Oh, yeah - there are detailed instructions on building a 3D scale model in your backyard. These can be found at the NCSU site. Hope you have a big backyard.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

You most certainly would not be banned if you said something along the lines of "I'm sorry, I was mistaken. The Moon and the Sun do in fact cause the tides."

18. John99 Banned Banned

Good job.

I dont have to prove any case. At this point its just a matter of time. There is no way that little rock effects tides. My opinion, i am entitled to it. It is based on observation, intelligence and is within physical laws of the universe.

The scale model, the distance, the motion, this tells the tale. Not to mention the irony that the moon does not effect anything else. Let me ask you, Rand: If the moon effect the tides, what else does it effect. Remember we are referring to movement. Does it effect large lakes?

19. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

john99 that was a pretty crazy statement dyw will rip you apart just give up

20. John99 Banned Banned

Look at how fast the earth is spinning for sake.

21. John99 Banned Banned

Well things change. Theories evolve...best to get used to it.

22. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Yes you do. Or at least support it. You are contradicting what is known on zero evidence.
    And you have also specifically stated that you can prove it:
    http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2692824&postcount=10

Balls. What evidence do you have to support your ignorance?

You're entitled to your own opinion*, you're not entitled to your own facts.

Your observation is effectively non-existent, your intelligence equally so and you are utterly clueless on physical law.

Only if you have zero understanding of gravity.

Such as?

Yes.
    Pitt Lake and Lake Michigan for example.
    And before you compound your stupidity:
    http://www.thespaceguy.com/moontides.htm

* Sadly. There's an old saying from my schooldays: everyone's entitled to be stupid, but some people abuse the privilege. John99 being a prime example.

23. John99 Banned Banned

LOL...what the hell is that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.