The Moon does not cause tides: John99 proves science wrong.

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Dywyddyr, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I think storks cause human pregnancy.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I think the internet is the leading cause of stupidity.
    Or maybe it's humans.

Yeah. The internet is the leading cause of humans which are the leading cause of stupidity.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Emil Valued Senior Member

A question that much I wanted to ask in connection with the tides.
    If we assume that the Earth does not rotate,
    the Earth form, because the ocean and due to the gravitational influence of the month is considered an oval with long axis oriented at the moon.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Whi?
    Theoretically should have the form of an egg with the sharper part oriented the Moon.
    Gravitational acceleration on earth on the side oriented to Month should be the g - g(due the Moon) and on the opposite g + g(due the Moon)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

It does but the tide also pulls the Earth itself.
    The water nearest the Moon is high because of the attraction and the water on the opposite side is high because the Earth has shifted towards the Moon faster than that water has (due to it being subject to less gravity from the Moon).

8. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

But the Earth does rotate and so the water on the side facing the moon gets lumped up more. This bulge of water circles the Earth. The water naturally bulges anyway due to the spin of the Earth, but gets funnelled by land masses so you get very high tides (17 metres) in parts of Britain rather than at the equator. The water is not evenly distributed. Currents and storm events also play a part and frequently conspire to flood places. When the Sun and moon line up you get extra-high tides called Neap tides. I think that's all correct. I expect someone will point out any inaccuracies.

9. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Remember, the Earth is in free fall with respect to the Moon, so it isn't a matter of g(due to the Moon), but the difference between g(due to the Moon) at each side of the Earth with respect to g(due to the Moon) at the center of the Earth. The pull from the Moon is a bit stronger on the near side than it is at the center because the near side is closer to the Moon. and the pull on the Center is stronger than the pull on the far side, because it is closer.

Tides are due to the differential of the Moon's gravitational pull across the diameter of the Earth.

10. Emil Valued Senior Member

Makes sense.
    It means that the image posted by me with vectors is not correct.

But what about the next "theory"?
    Oceans entered in oscillation due to a mechanical shock.(Collision with a meteor, volcanic eruption, tectonic movement, etc..)
    Own oscillation frequency the oceans was equal or was very close to Earth's rotation frequency.
    If it was almost equal then had to synchronize these two frequencies, otherwise the "theory" is not good.
    In this case gravity of the Month only maintain these oscillations.
    To maintain these oscillations it is necessary a force much smaller and then are symmetrical on both sides of the earth.

11. Mircea Registered Member

No, that's watermelon seeds. The storks just deliver the babies after they have been baked, seasoned and packaged.

That doesn't sound right. Neap tides are weak, and occur when the Moon is in its quarters phases, that is the Moon is square or forming a right angle to the Sun. The strongest tides are New Moon, when Sun/Moon are conjunct.

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

And this thread demonstrates why I have John99 on ignore.

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

That might be true if the entire system was not rotating. But since it is, the outer part of the system (i.e. the part furthest from the moon) sees a greater centrifugal force - and thus tides extend on that side as well.

If two planets were bolted into position, their oceans would be attracted by the other, and each ocean would bulge towards the other. This would not be a tide; it would be simple gravity acting on the ocean. This is also not possible in any normal planetary system.

Once the system starts rotating (which is necessary to keep the two planets away from each other via normal orbital dynamics) you get tides.

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

Get a picture of a stork and a human. Now look at it. The stork is far too small to cause me. Duh.

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Yeah but you lied about your height!

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Actually I may owe John99 an apology.
    I had another look at his diagram and I have now come to the inescapable conclusion that he's probably correct.
    What he failed to do was explain how that picture supports his contention - I will do so.

The Moon, according to that picture, is green.
    Can anyone give me a scientific explanation of how green causes tides?

17. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Yes the Green has quantum anitgravity and pushes the water up into a hill. Then the Aurora Boreolis changes the polarity, the green becomes red, and you get a trough...Maybe yellow causes mountains..

18. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Ha!!
    You're obviously a scientific fraud.
    You mis-spelt Borealis.

19. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Darn! Just when I thought Green was the answer to it all...I'm gonna have to test purple now to see if it's chemically active..!

20. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Actually, Green could still be the answer. Yes, that's it. Put it in a spliff and sit by a calm lake and see if it goes wavy.. Essential field research awaits...

21. Emil Valued Senior Member

He..he..You're sure it's green?Why not yellow?
    If we consider that the Earth, according to this image, is blue so light reflected by the Earth is blue
    and along with yellow color of the Moon give the illusion of green.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Hmmm. Someone needs to have a look at blue. Green is the only colour plants can't be bothered with so it's reflected off. Maybe it's not powerful enough.
    Blue on the other hand affects the bodys' circadian rythmns which, when plotted on a graph looks like peaks and troughs. Or tides..

23. Mircea Registered Member

It would depend almost entirely on whether or not the Moon was made of barbecued spare-ribs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.