The Menagerie

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Tiassa, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Well, I don't read Russian, so I have no idea if she's giving instructions, or telling a story, or whatnot. So ... click!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Source: SeattleTimes.com
    Link: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004016082_webrepo15m.html
    Title: "Children get repo'ed when vehicle taken in Spokane", via AP
    Date: November 15, 2007

Part of me really wants this guy to sue. I mean, does E&O cover this sort of thing?

Or is this one of those things where you fall behind on your truck payment, so they get to steal your kids?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Self-defense

Source: Seattle Post-Intelligencer
    Link: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/341112_draggingdeath26.html?source=mypi
    Title: "Student at Eastern dragged to death behind pickup", by Associated Press
    Date: November 25, 2007

A most interesting form of self-defense:

Seriously. I can only wonder what the detail will be?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Equal opportunity tasing

No ... freakin' ... way ....
    Your (Kansas) police in action

The only preface I can give is that sometimes we greatly appreciate our sacrificial lambs.

Really, if I had written this as fiction, nobody would publish it.

Mr. Williams is apparently unhurt, and the Wichita Police Department, while embarrassed, is still trying to justify itself. According to KWCH 12 television, "Police say the shooting call came from a cell phone but they still don't know who made it or why."

Notes:

Schwanke, Michael. "Hearing Impaired Man Tased by Police". KWCH.com. December 3, 2007. See http://www.kwch.com/global/story.asp?s=7446220

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

What the hell were you thinking?
    Will his friends ever let him live it down?

(Subject matter warning: Stop reading now!)

First, advice from columnist and The Stranger editor Dan Savage:

And what, pray tell, is he referring to? This news, from across The Pond:

Sounds like great advice. For all their simplicity, cockrings aren't simple toys. Except that, while Dan's advice makes for a great blog entry, he may be fostering erroneous perceptions about cockrings. Again, from the BBC:

Wh—what?!

Dude!

See, my first question, on reading the story, was to wonder how he managed to get the thing stuck. Now I think I understand. Was there a hard angle on that thing? Did he not grind away the rough edges? Was the thing stuck because it would shred the flesh if removed directly?

Seriously ... how is he going to show his face at the pub?

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Thanks, Dan

Thanks, Dan ....

Dan Savage offers us this blast from the past. April, 1971, to be exact:

Ah, nostalgia. Thanks, Dan.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Meat Magnet Kate Stuck Six Years Later

Meat Magnet Kate Stuck (Again) Six Years Later
    "Hot Tipper" gets improbable meaty repeat on Interstate 5

It's just a random coincidence. David Schmader explains what makes it so cool:

And then, out of nowhere ...,

Poor girl. She's such a trooper.

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Dubious Acknowledgment
    You know you're famous when ....

You know you're famous, that you've made it, that you've earned a place in the cultural consciousness, when a Canadian judge invokes your work during a sexual assault trial.

Columnist Dan Savage, for his part, hasn't made much comment, other than acknowledging the judge's remark.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Panties, panties, panties

Panties, Panties, Panties!
    What? How many times do you get to write a headline like that?

Okay, so ... right. Straight to the detail:

Notes:

Associated Press. "WA man sentenced for theft of 93 pounds of women's undergarments". SeattleTimes.com. January 22, 2008. See http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004137936_apwabrfunderwearthief22.html

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Hot damn!

Sexy Is ....
    Sing it with me: "How dirty can you get? (Oooh, yeah!)"

Erica C. Barnett brings us this amazing blast from the past:

Tiger Beat, ca. 1976

(Via Slog)

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Source: Telegraph Online
    Link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/01/24/wdwarf124.xml
    Title: "Dwarves zipped in suitcases steal from Swedes", by Lucy Cockcroft
    Date: January 24, 2008

Since there's really nothing I could write that would top that headline, let's just skip to the detail, shall we?

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Peek-a-freakin'-boo!

Source: SeattleTimes.com
    Link: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004147717_stungun27.html
    Title: "Man who used stun gun on toddler gets 46 months", by Associated Press
    Date: January 27, 2008

Part of me wants to just say, "It's Oregon", and move on. Doesn't help.

Right. Okay. For the record, you did not read that wrongly. Unless, of course, you did. But, yes, it does say a man struck a plea bargain, receiving forty-six months after shocking his eighteen month-old son with a stun gun.

And here's the thing: it gets even stranger.

Wha-huh-what? How does that even begin to make sense?

And you want to know what else? It gets stranger still:

That's right. Apparently, using a 30,000-volt stun gun to play peekaboo with a toddler fell somewhere in the realm of the plausible and acceptable for the mother. It actually required a second incident the next month before she took the kid out of the house and called police. Apparently, even the DHS caseworker is shaken by this one.

Now ... it couldn't possibly get any stranger, right?

Well, right. It transcends the strange. Goes straight to stupid. Do not pass "Go", do not collect ... oh, never mind.

So, let me get this straight. Your client is innocent, but you advised him to plead out, anyway?

I would say, "Only in Oregon," and take some sort of obscure, perhaps abject comfort in that, except it's probably not true.

You know, Albany used to be—and maybe it still is—a heavy meth-production town. That might explain a few things, but it's purely speculative. And it won't make you feel any better to write this one off as such.

16. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Chicago Goes Invisible

Chicago Goes Invisible
    Invisible ink, that is.

Well, sort of.

Shall we write it up as just one of those things?

Notes:

Sweeney, Annie. "Staffers try to reach 20 who thought they'd voted". SunTimes.com. February 6, 2008. See http://www.suntimes.com/news/elections/779528,CST-NWS-magic06.article

18. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The Miner Forty-Niner
    Because it's less depressing than the hit-and-run story

Really.

Notes:

Schmader, David. "Last Days". The Stranger. February 27, 2008. http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=521980

19. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Getting bogged down by beauracracy!

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Smoke on, Whitney

How To Not Write A Headline About Tragedy
    Seattle Times: "Everett boy dies after sandbox accident"

It's even the first sentence of the article: "A 10-year-old Everett boy has died in a Seattle hospital after an accident in a sandbox."

Do the English use similar colloquialisms and euphemisms? Or is this only perversely funny to someone raised in the northwestern United States?

At any rate, the story is a tragedy:

Oh, for .... Okay, if I'm reading the URL correctly, this article has been rewritten once already:
    • 2004273523_apwaboyburied2ndldwritethru.html​
    Obviously, there are more details to come. Whatever. Blame a cartoon. So it's not sadistic, fine. But who the hell raised these kids to be so goddamned stupid?

Whitney Houston once sang, "I believe the children are our future". No wonder she took up a crack habit.

Notes:

"Everett boy dies after sandbox accident". SeattleTimes.com. March 10, 2008. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004273523_apwaboyburied2ndldwritethru.html

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Tiassa have you ever seen a movie called Idocrasy?

It shows what will happen if we keep selecting AGAINST people of inteligence in our procriation

The president of the US ends up being a prowrestler and the guy who was a dumbass grunt in the army and a prostitute end up being the 2 smartest people on earth. The guy gets tried for not having a barcode and his lawyer (who is SURPOSED to be defending him) gets up and makes a ridiculas argument that the defendent (his cliant) said something or other and that means he is guilty. The cops are all mental retards as are congress (ok the last one maybe no change

)

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Tragic toilet time?

Source: MSNBC.com
    Link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23595533/
    Title: "Woman sits on boyfriend's toilet for 2 years", by Associated Press
    Date: March 12, 2008

It has happened again. Sort of.

Three and a half years ago, The Menagerie encountered the sad tale of a six hundred pound woman who, having spent at least two years sitting on her couch, needed to be surgically extricated from it.

This week, the Associated Press reports that a 35 year-old Kansas woman apparently sat on her boyfriend's toilet for over two years, and needed to be surgically extricated from it.

According to the AP, the woman has refused to cooperate with medical personnel and police investigators, and local authorities have stated that they did not know whether she was mentally or physically disabled.

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

why the hell would her BF be charged?

Charged with WHAT exactly?